Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben Elway-esque

Starter

Re: Big Ben Elway-esque

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    at this point, i'm thinking plummer esque... struggle for 3 quarters and lead the league in comeback wins....
    dude you have to be kidding...ben's throws were there all day, we had some inconsistancies in the receiving game...calling him plummer is an insult
    "The standard is the standard" Mike Tomlin

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by mshifko
    at this point, i'm thinking plummer esque... struggle for 3 quarters and lead the league in comeback wins....
    dude you have to be kidding...ben's throws were there all day, we had some inconsistancies in the receiving game...calling him plummer is an insult

I agree. Comparing Ben to Plummer is a serious insult.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo
    You pathetic groupies are in an unfathomable dream world. Roethlisberger sucked almost beyond comprehension yesterday and sure enough, he was magnificent in your eyes.

Step out of your alternative reality long enough to find out what Philip Rivers did at Arrowhead yesterday and think that we could have had him. Rivers led a REAL comeback because he doesn't have the greatest defensive coordinator in history on his side.

I'm so sick of LeBeau's crew bailing this guy's sorry a$s out week after week. He even got an assist from the refs with the call in the end zone. The guy's damned near worthless. If he doesn't give half his salary to the defense, it should be taken from him by a court order and distributed to them.

Welcome to Groupieville, where Ben's always great ... even when he sucks.
    you are by far the biggest idiot on this board...

ben is an elite QB no doubt...if you would rather have philip rivers then go root for the chargers...

You know, I listened pretty intently when Mike and Mike were talking about Ben and his elite status this morning. To my surprise, it was Greenberg who said Ben was already there and Golic who said he isn't. Much like many of you. My problem with those who say Ben doesn;t always play at elite status is who really plays at elite status on every down, in every game? Seriously, Ben has been a winner from day 1. If you watch Bradshaw play, even in his best years, he still made bone-headed mistakes at times. Peyton still makes bad throws and on occasion, has bad games. Does this not make him elite. Brady is and will always be the exception with modern-day QBs. He is truly great. But for those of us who like to say things like "Yea, Ben did lead those game winning drives, but he really costs us sometimes too" It just makes me want to shake them. When you look back over our Qb history through the 80's and even early 90's, I can't see how anyone can complain abotu a winner like Ben. I mean really, no QB has ever won more games in his first five years than has ben. None. Ever. The guy led us to an AFC title game in his first year and a SB title in his second. Even with a bad SB performance, he still had one of the best playoffs of all time for a QB in the three previous games. He shrugged off a left-threatening bike crash and apendectomy to have a magnificent second half of the season. This is a guy who can do what he has to do to win, whether it is opening ip up, or just taking care of the ball. This is a guy who can lead a team on a 92 yard drive against a top 5 defense in a game where his team barely moved the ball. This is a guy who gives his team a chance to win every single game at the end. And there are those who wanted to bench him?

Jooser, its all good man. You didn't offend me. But I just get frustrated because I think Ben is an "elite" type quarterback, in the class of Peyton and Brady, and those guys would never get benched due to struggling. You let your leader win it for you, which is what Ben is, a leader.

Ben does what is needed. He had great stats last year. I expected it this year. When it didn't happen by week 4 or 5, I came to the realization that this team is going where the defense will take it. While its frustrating that our offense struggles, you have to consider the makeup of it. We have a swiss cheese line, receivers struggling to get open at times (and dropping the ball at times), Ben holding the ball too long at times (even he jokes about it), and not to mention the Human Yellow Penalty Flag, Colon doing his best to kill drives. I simply don't expect more than a TD. Everyone maybe needs to lower their expectations of the offense like I did, and it wouldn't be so frustrating. Don't confuse my lowered expectations with lowered confidence. I always have confidence in Ben and the Offense (except for Colon), but just plan on having a crappy offensive showing, a stellar defensive showing and it wouldn't be as painful. Its Week 15! We are who we are at this point. I don't see them putting it together all of a sudden. If they did for a game, then its a bonus. But this is who we are, ugly winners. Better than being losers (like the Stains).

ProudPittsburgher, you hit the nail on the head too. Great post.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

His stats won't look good when compared to last year (for a variety of reasons), but with the defense we have right now, we can make a run to Tampa with the '05 version of Ben. Outside of the awful 3 game stretch in which he had 1 TD and 8 INT's (resulting in 2 of our 3 losses on the season), he has thrown for 14 TD's and 4 INT's in the other 11 games. Right now he is protecting the ball better and is making plays when he needs to in order to get a win. That is what he was doing back in '05 when he had 17 TD's and 9 INT's on the season. Of course, he turned it up a notch with some phenomenal performances in the playoffs against Cincy, Indy, and Denver, throwing for 7 TD's and 1 INT in those games. Hopefully, he can do that again if need be. I think he is a winner and a big game QB who responds in crucial moments. And he doesn't have horse teeth.

Legend

Maybe a better comparison would be Bradshaw.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by flippy
    Maybe a better comparison would be Bradshaw.
    not sure, the elway comparison in terms of the number, ben's admiration for elway, and the capibility to comeback is right on

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler
    Quote Originally Posted by mshifko

I agree. Comparing Ben to Plummer is a serious insult.
    May be an insult - but, a fairly accurate one...

Plummer led the league in 4th quarter "comebacks" for many years because he was moderately successful for 3 quarters and lights out in th 4th. For the last few weeks, that's Big Ben...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

People act as if guys like Elway never had a bad quarter, half, or game for that matter. Newsflash, Montana struggled on occasion. So did Bradshaw, Elway, Young, Johnny U, they all did.