Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Ben Elway-esque

Legend

Re: Big Ben Elway-esque

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan
    I have said it before. There have been a few QBs in the history of this game that just win. Elway, Montana, Farve, Bradshaw, Ben, and others. He just has "it". Romo doesn't seem to. Palmer is devoid of it. You just have it or not.

Ben has it.
    QFT.

Yes Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    at this point, i'm thinking plummer esque... struggle for 3 quarters and lead the league in comeback wins....
    Did you just compare Ben to Jake F**king Plummer?

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Ben had a great game given the opponent. Good decision making. He was a couple of "short throws" away from an A+ grade. Give him an A. I will be a little easy on the OL because it was the Ravens. I have been critcal of Ben and the OL when it was deserved. 2 of the sacks today were missed assignments. The one, Hartings recognized the blitz late and was out of position picking it up. The other, Stapleton was free on that side when Lewis got to Ben. The 3rd was coverage and the only time Ben might have held the ball. I believe that was his fumble. But Ben is Ben...And Ben being Ben won the game!!! 3 sacks against the Ravens and a win...I'll take it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    Ben had a great game given the opponent. Good decision making. He was a couple of "short throws" away from an A+ grade. Give him an A. I will be a little easy on the OL because it was the Ravens. I have been critcal of Ben and the OL when it was deserved. 2 of the sacks today were missed assignments. The one, Hartings recognized the blitz late and was out of position picking it up. The other, Stapleton was free on that side when Lewis got to Ben. The 3rd was coverage and the only time Ben might have held the ball. I believe that was his fumble. But Ben is Ben...And Ben being Ben won the game!!! 3 sacks against the Ravens and a win...I'll take it!!!
    On the fumble I was hoping that Ben was going to realize there was nothing positive going to happen on that play and just take the sack. He didn't and it was really his only bad decision of the day. Ben is Ben and that's a good thing for Steeler football. It must be maddening to hate the Steelers and watch his Houdini act week after week!

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

Except that Ben has already won a Super Bowl....
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

daddyo

You pathetic groupies are in an unfathomable dream world. Roethlisberger sucked almost beyond comprehension yesterday and sure enough, he was magnificent in your eyes.

Step out of your alternative reality long enough to find out what Philip Rivers did at Arrowhead yesterday and think that we could have had him. Rivers led a REAL comeback because he doesn't have the greatest defensive coordinator in history on his side.

I'm so sick of LeBeau's crew bailing this guy's sorry a$s out week after week. He even got an assist from the refs with the call in the end zone. The guy's damned near worthless. If he doesn't give half his salary to the defense, it should be taken from him by a court order and distributed to them.

Welcome to Groupieville, where Ben's always great ... even when he sucks.

Big Ben's last five games:

104 of 177 - 58.8% Comp.

1180 passing yards - 6.66 YpA

5 passing TDs (+ 1 rushing TD)

Sacked 13 times

None of that is particularly Elway-esque...

No, where it gets Elway-esque is right here:

1 INT

3 game winning/game tying drives in the 4th quarter

5 WINS

I marvel at how Roethlisberger has adapted his style to fit what the team needs at the moment...

Last year, he threw for 32 TDs and 7.8 YpA...and I think his team needed every bit of that to win the division and reach the playoffs...

This season, with the defense playing lights out, a game manager is needed...a QB who won't turn the ball over...Ben has the added bonus of being positively clutch when the game is on the line...

The ability of the QB to stay out of this defense's way and not put them into a bad position on the field will take this team far...

The ability of the QB to perform when the game is on the line may take this team all the way...
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Quote Originally Posted by daddyo
    Step out of your alternative reality long enough to find out what Philip Rivers did at Arrowhead yesterday and think that we could have had him. Rivers led a REAL comeback because he doesn't have the greatest defensive coordinator in history on his side.
    Philip Rivers led a "real" comeback against a team that has won two games all year...a team with the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL...whoop-de-doo!!! Rivers is SO awesome that he's led the Chargers to all of six wins this season!!! AND WE COULD HAVE HAD HIM!!!!
    I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    Quote Originally Posted by daddyo
    Philip Rivers led a "real" comeback against a team that has won two games all year...a team with the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL...whoop-de-doo!!! Rivers is SO awesome that he's led the Chargers to all of six wins this season!!! AND WE COULD HAVE HAD HIM!!!!
    And, somehow, I seem to recall Rivers being selected 4th overall and then being traded to the team with the #1 pick in the draft long before we selected Ben with the 11th pick of that draft. Don't let facts get in the way of the fact that WE COULD HAVE HAD HIM!!!!!

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
    On the fumble I was hoping that Ben was going to realize there was nothing positive going to happen on that play and just take the sack. He didn't and it was really his only bad decision of the day. Ben is Ben and that's a good thing for Steeler football. It must be maddening to hate the Steelers and watch his Houdini act week after week!

Pappy
    Ben was trying to hard on that play. As a coach, you tell him to take the sack. But I'm sure there have been many times where the coaches are saying to themselves "Go down Ben...Go down!" or "Throw it away!" and Ben shrugs off a hit or steps out of a tackle and hits a receiver downfield! Imagine how we would feel about him if he played for the Ravens and did this over and over! We would hate him as much as Brady!

Ben really does give the Steelers a chance to win no matter how the game has been going to that point in time. He is a competitor and has taken the "leadership" role of that offense. You can see it when those guys look at him on the field. That is one of the biggest steps to a QB's greatness. The adversity he has faced with the offense earlier in the year has made him a better player.