Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers control own destiny

Steelers control their destiny

James Harrison
    By Dale Lolley
    For SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Dec 10, 2008

After vanquishing an old rival, the Steelers have set their sights on a current one.

PITTSBURGH – After vanquishing an old rival, the Steelers have set their sights on a current one.

After a 20-13 victory Sunday over the Dallas Cowboys, the Pittsburgh Steelers biggest rivals from the 1970s, they do not have time to bask in the win, not with a game against the Baltimore Ravens looming.

The Steelers (10-3) have insisted throughout the season they aren’t concerned about Baltimore (9-4) keeping pace in the AFC North.

“I’m just thinking about the next game; that’s it,” said Steelers linebacker James Harrison Sunday. “I don’t care what (Baltimore) is doing. I don’t care what they’ve done. Our job is to win. If we win, we don’t have to look behind us.”

They do have to look at the Ravens now.

There is no denying Sunday’s game in Baltimore is the biggest of the season.

A win by the Steelers would sweep the Ravens and clinch the AFC North. Pittsburgh defeated Baltimore, 23-20, in overtime at Heinz Field Sept. 29. A victory by Baltimore would cloud the picture.

A Ravens’ win would leave the two teams with identical records heading into the final three weeks of the season, and a spilt of the regular season series.

Baltimore would temporarily be in first place in the AFC North based on a 5-1 division record compared to 4-1 for the Steelers. Pittsburgh has one remaining division game, against Cleveland at Heinz Field in Week 17.

If the two teams finish with identical records and the Steelers beat Cleveland, the NFL would use the third criteria, won-loss percentage in common games, to break the tie.

But that might not work.

Baltimore finishes the season at Dallas and home to Jacksonville, two teams the Steelers have defeated this season. Pittsburgh closes at Tennessee, which beat the Ravens Oct. 5, and home against Cleveland. If, for example, the Ravens lose at Dallas and Pittsburgh loses at Tennessee and then both teams win their regular season finales to finish at 11-5, both would be 7-3 against common opponents.

The NFL would then go to the fourth tiebreaking procedure, best won-loss percentage in games played within the conference.

The Steelers currently have an advantage based on their 8-1 record within the AFC. Baltimore is 7-3.

But a loss to Baltimore would give the Steelers an 8-2 record in the conference, putting the Ravens one game behind the Steelers in that tiebreaker.

In that event, the Steelers could win the division by sweeping their final two games. But that would also push them ahead of the Ravens in common opponents.

If the Steelers were to lose one of their final two games, it would give them a third conference loss and possibly force the NFL to use the fifth tiebreaker, strength of victory.

In that event, the Steelers have to hope the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers – two teams they have beaten – continue to win, while Miami and Philadelphia – two teams the Ravens have beaten – falter.

Pittsburgh’s victories have come against teams with a combined 52-55-1 record, compared to 36-57-2 for the Ravens – though a win over the Steelers would certainly improve that for Baltimore.

“We just need to go and take care of business,” said Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley. “If we do that, nothing else matters.”

Dale Lolley appears courtesy of the Observer-Reporter
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers control own destiny

Baltimore seems to get the breaks with injuries. Pacman out now and Fred Taylor and multiple players out for their finale. The Steelers have to do their own work.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Man, would I love it for this one game for our offense to really click.

And Flacco finally show his rookie stripes and make big mistakes.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

Coach LeBeau having multiple game tape on Flacco gives me hope that this will happen
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah, remember last years Monday night game? I want THAT!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1

Coach LeBeau having multiple game tape on Flacco gives me hope that this will happen
    yep.. I really think we go at Flacco early.. last time we waited until after the half.
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1

yep.. I really think we go at Flacco early.. last time we waited until after the half.
    Stop the run 1st! Then, put Flacco on a tee baby!

Backup

User Info Menu

It is really simple.

Beat the Ravens and Browns, we win the division. If we lose either of those two games, do we really deserve to win the division?

But I seem to recall the last time we lost the division and still made the wildcard.

He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if they stop the run and make flacco beat them then it should be a win barring stupid penalties and turnovers

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    if they stop the run and make flacco beat them then it should be a win barring stupid penalties and turnovers

Agreed...or injuries.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.