Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: iKE....

Re: iKE....

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrules!!
    uhh, Ike is not having a pro-bowl season. You do remember him passing volleyball-style two TD's, one which cost us a win vs. Indy right?

Ike is an excellent tackler, and a good cover corner with great speed... but this year, like every other year he's played professional ball, shows us that he's not elite. how many INT's has he dropped, where troy picks up passes that the best receivers in the game couldn't snag?

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse every season, but until he turns into a real threat to take the ball away, he's not in the "elite" category.

with harrison, woodley, hampton, troy, Farrior, and smith playing at such a high level... doubt he's getting the nod.
    Dallas sent 13 to the Pro-bowl last year so I don't think you should use this logic.

He has terrible hands but his 1 on 1 defense shouldn't be overlooked. He's been dynamite this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim
    uhh, Ike is not having a pro-bowl season. You do remember him passing volleyball-style two TD's, one which cost us a win vs. Indy right?

Ike is an excellent tackler, and a good cover corner with great speed... but this year, like every other year he's played professional ball, shows us that he's not elite. how many INT's has he dropped, where troy picks up passes that the best receivers in the game couldn't snag?

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse every season, but until he turns into a real threat to take the ball away, he's not in the "elite" category.

with harrison, woodley, hampton, troy, Farrior, and smith playing at such a high level... doubt he's getting the nod.

SteelCity, I see your points, if Ike made those catches, he's all pro but I have to disagree with you in essense. Ike gets the other teams best guy most of the time and then proceeds to take him out of the game. How many times during Chad Johnson's best years was he man-handled by Ike Taylor? Moss one week and TO the next? That's a corner back nightmare waiting to happen right there and between the two of them they get one touchdown and less that 90 yards receiving. For a team that no one runs on, that's pretty darn good and Ike seems to be able to stick guys for a long time on top of all of that. Oh yeah and he plays the run support awfully well.

When I look around the league, I just don't see many corners that are a great deal better than Ike Taylor for what we ask him to do. I'm a total homer, I know and I've watched this raw kid out of Louisiana Lafayette since he was drafted and I've always rooted for him since we drafted him so I'm probably a little more than just a bit biased here.
    I can't, and shouldn't, downplay his physical abilities and times he's gone toe-toe with the best in the league. You make good points, and even miss on his most admirable trait which is his tireless work ethic.
    BUT...
    The statement that he is "elite" comes up every year, and every year the facts show us he's just not.
    - Ike is known for his absolute dismal interception abilities. he usually puts himself in great position to make the play, but 95 % of the time he drops the rock. This year, his hands actually handed a couple of TD's to the opposition, and it would have been a third if Moss could have held on last week. I'm sorry, but to be the best of the best as a corner in this league, you have to be able to take the ball away on a consistent basis.

this is just a little quote from the local news guys at the post-gazette:
    Safety Troy Polamalu had an interception on the third play, giving him one in each of the past four games and an NFL-best seven for the season. Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison stopped fullback Deon Anderson on fourth-and-1 at the Steelers 33. NFL Defensive Player of the Year Harrison -- he gets the vote here, anyway -- had another strip-sack, forcing a Romo fumble. Cornerback Ike Taylor had an interception. (Honest to goodness). Polamalu forced a punt with two tackles of running back Tashard Choice for 0 and -1 yards on the same series.
    I mean, come on... comments like that are not out of admiration or wonderment of his talents. it's a light-hearted knock on his abilities.
    I can name at least 8 corners that I would take over Ike:
    in no particular order either...
    -assante samuel
    -antonio cromartie
    -darrelle revis
    -rashean mathis
    -chris mccallister
    -charles woodson (borderline because of age)
    -marcus trufant
    -nnamdi asomugha

Quote Originally Posted by GreggyDigital

Dallas sent 13 to the Pro-bowl last year so I don't think you should use this logic.

He has terrible hands but his 1 on 1 defense shouldn't be overlooked. He's been dynamite this year.
    OK... to say he has terrible hands but has been dynamite makes no sense to me when you are talking about the corner position.

they play against the receiver, who's job it is to catch the ball.