Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations from yesterday

Pro Bowler

Observations from yesterday

1. Ryan Clark! Thought he had a great game and to me he is sorta the unsung hero of the D.

2. Aikman did a pretty good job with the commentary. I thought his prefernce came through a few times but in general I give the guy high marks for his commentary.

3. There are too many teams in the NFL. This has been one of the most enjoyable NFL seasons (for me) in a long time; and it is because we are consistently playing strong teams. This is the NFL as I remember it in the 1970s.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848

Re: Observations from yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by snarky
    1. Ryan Clark! Thought he had a great game and to me he is sorta the unsung hero of the D.

2. Aikman did a pretty good job with the commentary. I thought his prefernce came through a few times but in general I give the guy high marks for his commentary.

3. There are too many teams in the NFL. This has been one of the most enjoyable NFL seasons (for me) in a long time; and it is because we are consistently playing strong teams. This is the NFL as I remember it in the 1970s.
    1. Agree. Clark has been great this year. Big hits, smart play, solid coverage and run support. Everything you could ask for, and a perfect compliment to Troy P.

2. Aikman irritated me, but in fairness to him, I was irritated in general, and I hate Joe Buck, so it is quite possible that my Joe Buck hatred spilled over to Aikman.

Troy Aikman is my favorite announcer. He explainsd what he sees in layman's terms and is rarely biased. I have no issue with anything he said yesterday. The Dallas defense did take it to the Steeler offense, the Steeler defense was outstanding as billed and his analysis of plays was very good.

He even mentioned that Ike had TO covered for 5 or 6 seconds and that maintining that coverage for that long is nearly impossible. And, questioned why Lebeau would drop both Woodley and Harrison into coverage and that was a fair question.

I enjoy any broadcast that Aikman is part of.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Troy wanted to keep Hope. But Clark looks like an upgrade to me.

I've been on board for a long time that Ryan's our most underrated defender.

How many people here were gripping when Clark limped off the field in the 2nd half? I know I was.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Troy Aikman is my favorite announcer. He explainsd what he sees in layman's terms and is rarely biased. I have no issue with anything he said yesterday. The Dallas defense did take it to the Steeler offense, the Steeler defense was outstanding as billed and his analysis of plays was very good.

He even mentioned that Ike had TO covered for 5 or 6 seconds and that maintining that coverage for that long is nearly impossible. And, questioned why Lebeau would drop both Woodley and Harrison into coverage and that was a fair question.

I enjoy any broadcast that Aikman is part of.

Pappy
    I am with you. I actaully like Aikman as an announcer -- even though he is a bit "bland". He is clear and I don't think he shows bias.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    I am with you. I actaully like Aikman as an announcer -- even though he is a bit "bland". He is clear and I don't think he shows bias.
    Yeah maybe that came out wrong. I don't think he necessarily showed bias in what he was saying but I think the way he said stuff, at times, subtly exposed a preference for the Cowboys.

I don't fault him for it. Heck, imagine Bradshaw in the booth for a Cowboys-Steelers game.

Actually, two other observations.

4. I thought it was a bad decision to not go into the V formation straight away at the end. I under stand that there was some question about whether the clock would make it to 40 seconds at the end of the third down play. But I would have preferred that they wound the clock safely and then dealt with the clock situation from third down on.

5. The Townsend interception was reminiscent of the interceptions that what's his name threw in SB XXX.
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848

Re: Aikman, he didn't seem overly biased yesterday. I was just irritated with the game in general, and hence, I wasn't in the opinion to hear Troy talking about it.

I've never been a fan of Joe Buck. And after the World Series, where he pretty openly rooted against the Phillies (yes, I am a Phillies fan), I've disliked him even more. So, perhaps unfairly, Aikman gets wrapped up in my disllike of all things related to Joe Buck.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize
    How many people here were gripping when Clark limped off the field in the 2nd half? I know I was.

Pete
    me too. it was great to see him come back and make a few plays. i also noticed on one or two of choice's good runs kirschke was man handled. overall he was ok, but not having kiesel makes a difference. hopefully he can get back for the titans game. i was also shocked nate was ok. that replay looked awful, i immediately assumed that was nate's season

An observation that I had last night was when I was watching our next opponent- The Rat turds.

They are impressive running the ball with that ancient Neal back there at FB. Will he ever retire? That offense is running it the way we should be running it... Power football.

I just hope we can stuff them and score 1 more point then them. Steelers 10 Ravens 9.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion