Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin has done something no other Steeler HC ever

Legend

User Info Menu

Tomlin has done something no other Steeler HC ever

Per Dale Lolley's blog:

© Just a note for all of the Mike Tomlin bashers out there. He’s the first coach in Steelers’ history to win 10 games in each of his first two seasons.
    Not bad for a too inexperienced, "overpaid janitor." Just again proves the Rooney's know better than the fans. Thats why they run one of the most successful franschises in pro sports.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Tomlin has done something no other Steeler HC ever

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Per Dale Lolley's blog:

© Just a note for all of the Mike Tomlin bashers out there. He’s the first coach in Steelers’ history to win 10 games in each of his first two seasons.
    Not bad for a too inexperienced, "overpaid janitor." Just again proves the Rooney's know better than the fans. Thats why they run one of the most successful franschises in pro sports.
    Loved the choice then, love it now. This guy is the BEST young coach in the league.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Per Dale Lolley's blog:

Loved the choice then, love it now. This guy is the BEST young coach in the league.
    I liked the hire and like him now, but, still wish he took into account how F**king awesome this defense is playing. I admire the 4th and goal call to try and get a TD, but, the points were more important and would have put the Steelers only a TD away on the scoreboard. There was so much time left in the game remaining two scoers behind could have been fatal, fortunately not. Not getting points there could have been very costly; Tomlin should thank his defense for bailing him out on that one.

That being said, it is obvious that the players respond to Mike Tomlin in a positive fashion. He asks them to play for 60 minutes and to a man they play for 60 minutes. If the other team believes they are going to be afforded time off during a game they are gravely mistaken. This team doesn't quit, ever.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Backup

User Info Menu

Tomlin's post-game press conference was GREAT yesterday. This team is taking on his character more & more every week. And make no mistake about it...Tomlin was hired because he showed this character in his interviews.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Per Dale Lolley's blog:

I liked the hire and like him now, but, still wish he took into account how F**king awesome this defense is playing. I admire the 4th and goal call to try and get a TD, but, the points were more important and would have put the Steelers only a TD away on the scoreboard. There was so much time left in the game remaining two scoers behind could have been fatal, fortunately not. Not getting points there could have been very costly; Tomlin should thank his defense for bailing him out on that one.

That being said, it is obvious that the players respond to Mike Tomlin in a positive fashion. He asks them to play for 60 minutes and to a man they play for 60 minutes. If the other team believes they are going to be afforded time off during a game they are gravely mistaken. This team doesn't quit, ever.

Pappy
    I thought going for it on the goal line was a great call. Our offense had not shown the ability to get near the endzone, but with the Cowboys against the wind and our defense stifling them, we could get into FG range again with one good play.

If you need a TD and a FG and you have a chance to get the TD that you don't think might come again, you go for it and let your players play. The offense failed, Tomlin did not.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Per Dale Lolley's blog:

Pappy
    Pap,
    In hindsight, that decision actually changed the game. Dallas had a poop punt and Holmes made a great play. It changed field position. I agreed with going for it...I just didnt like the execution. If he kicks a FG, he's Bill Cowher...too conservative. AT home, I say go for it.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Ezekiel 25:17

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    I thought going for it on the goal line was a great call. Our offense had not shown the ability to get near the endzone, but with the Cowboys against the wind and our defense stifling them, we could get into FG range again with one good play.

If you need a TD and a FG and you have a chance to get the TD that you don't think might come again, you go for it and let your players play. The offense failed, Tomlin did not.
    D, the decision to go for it wasn't the issue, it was a gutsy call and I like his juevos. The issue is that as a rule, play action passes work the best when your running game is effective, because the defense, particulary the DEs and OLBs play in to stop the run, thus freeing up the outside. Because our run game hadn't been established as effective, the OLB didn't have to fear the dive play and broke out on the FB.

Why not do a a fade to the end of the endzone with our 6'-8" TE Matt Spaeth?

I'd modify your last sentence to "The offensive coordinator failed, the team did not".

Legend

User Info Menu

It's cool to see the media outside of Pittsburgh give Tomlin tons of credit as well. Listening to the morning sports talk here in the dirty South (so of course they are Falcon jock sniffers) and all three of them said about a week ago how they loved Tomlin. They all agreed if they were players; he'd be the coach in the NFL they'd most like to play for right now. Awesome. And I agree. I love how fired up he gets when things are going great and how calm he appears when things go wrong (he was clapping and upbeat on the 4th down stuff at the goal line).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wanted Whiz as HC.

But my thought was that Tomlin blew them away in the interview process and they also wanted a change of direction.

I am reasonably happy with Tomlin so far (some nits -- like CAREY FRIGGIN DAVIS!!!). But overall, we have results.

I think Whiz is doing great in AZ and would have done well here too.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[quote=Ezekiel 25:17]
    Quote Originally Posted by "D Rock":kvt9d48v

D, the decision to go for it wasn't the issue, it was a gutsy call and I like his juevos. The issue is that as a rule, play action passes work the best when your running game is effective, because the defense, particulary the DEs and OLBs play in to stop the run, thus freeing up the outside. Because our run game hadn't been established as effective, the OLB didn't have to fear the dive play and broke out on the FB.

Why not do a a fade to the end of the endzone with our 6'-8" TE Matt Spaeth?

I'd modify your last sentence to "The offensive coordinator failed, the team did not".[/quote:kvt9d48v]

Are you sure it was an OLB? Just going from memory I thought it was a DB that came up and stuffed Davis short.

And overall I would have rather seen that play call on second or third down and then line 'em up and see who's got it when it matters and run it up the gut on 4th down.

Also, why did Davis not take that route into the endzone to begin with. It's another 2 or 3 feet, was there a defender making that impossible? I'd still say the offense failed, and they were set up to do so by the OC.