Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tomlin has done something no other Steeler HC ever

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Tomlin has done something no other Steeler HC ever

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Shiek
    only pretend it says Arians. I know it still wouldn't be gramatically correct, but lets just assume that anyone by the last name of Arians sucks at this point for having the same last name as this douchebag.
    "The Arians Suck"

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Per Dale Lolley's blog:

© Just a note for all of the Mike Tomlin bashers out there. He’s the first coach in Steelers’ history to win 10 games in each of his first two seasons.
    Not bad for a too inexperienced, "overpaid janitor." Just again proves the Rooney's know better than the fans. Thats why they run one of the most successful franschises in pro sports.
    Loved the choice then, love it now. This guy is the BEST young coach in the league.
    I liked the hire and like him now, but, still wish he took into account how F**king awesome this defense is playing. I admire the 4th and goal call to try and get a TD, but, the points were more important and would have put the Steelers only a TD away on the scoreboard. There was so much time left in the game remaining two scoers behind could have been fatal, fortunately not. Not getting points there could have been very costly; Tomlin should thank his defense for bailing him out on that one.

That being said, it is obvious that the players respond to Mike Tomlin in a positive fashion. He asks them to play for 60 minutes and to a man they play for 60 minutes. If the other team believes they are going to be afforded time off during a game they are gravely mistaken. This team doesn't quit, ever.

Pappy
    On 4th and goal, they didn't just want the points - they wanted MOMENTUM... I actually agreed with the call. As Aikman was on TV saying, "you kick the FG", I was like, "no you don't... you RAM IT DOWN THEIR THROATS." To me, that's what sets our team apart from many others... WE CAN.

BTW, if it's 4th and 1 from the 20, it's a no brainer kick... but, from the 1, with our defense, you go for it... even if you don't get it, you might cause a safety...
    There was too much time left in the game to go chasing TDs. Maybe, I have too much faith in Ben's ability to win games, but, it never occurred to me that the Steelers wouldn't get a chance to score a TD to tie the game. Call it Cowher ball if you like, it's effective and won many games for Bill Cowher.

The Steelers haven't proven all year that they can move a defensive line into the end zone and run the ball for a yard. Why would this one be any different? At the very least, run a play that gives some options to Ben and not an all or nothing dive play.

It all worked out okay and we get to jaw about it, I would have rather had the points and take the game to a one possession game.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Legend

Sanitation Engineer...get it right guys...he got a promotion!

Starter

Ahhh, so while I agree with a lot of the technical accolades being
    given out for Tomlin's decision-making, am I misremembering it or
    did anyone else catch Tomlin chest bumping with a player coming
    off the field?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

There was too much time left in the game to go chasing TDs. Maybe, I have too much faith in Ben's ability to win games, but, it never occurred to me that the Steelers wouldn't get a chance to score a TD to tie the game. Call it Cowher ball if you like, it's effective and won many games for Bill Cowher.

The Steelers haven't proven all year that they can move a defensive line into the end zone and run the ball for a yard. Why would this one be any different? At the very least, run a play that gives some options to Ben and not an all or nothing dive play.

It all worked out okay and we get to jaw about it, I would have rather had the points and take the game to a one possession game.

Pappy

I think the Steelers are the worse 4th down team in the league. Something like 2-10.
    I like the moxy, but if you're going to go for it and you have a history of not being able
    to pick up 1 yard on the ground to punch it in, try something different.

Where was Heath on that play?

Hall of Famer

[quote=Ezekiel 25:17]
    Quote Originally Posted by "D Rock":18i6vxpa
    I thought going for it on the goal line was a great call. Our offense had not shown the ability to get near the endzone, but with the Cowboys against the wind and our defense stifling them, we could get into FG range again with one good play.

If you need a TD and a FG and you have a chance to get the TD that you don't think might come again, you go for it and let your players play. The offense failed, Tomlin did not.
    D, the decision to go for it wasn't the issue, it was a gutsy call and I like his juevos. The issue is that as a rule, play action passes work the best when your running game is effective, because the defense, particulary the DEs and OLBs play in to stop the run, thus freeing up the outside. Because our run game hadn't been established as effective, the OLB didn't have to fear the dive play and broke out on the FB.

Why not do a a fade to the end of the endzone with our 6'-8" TE Matt Spaeth?

I'd modify your last sentence to "The offensive coordinator failed, the team did not".[/quote:18i6vxpa]

What I question here is the player selection on the play. How on God's green earth do you call a pass in the flat Carey Davis when Moore has proven to be the best at this. This is another case of Arians outthinking himself. But I agree that a fade to a TE was the way to go here. And why do they refuse to roll Ben out for him to do his magic?

Per Dale Lolley's blog:

© Just a note for all of the Mike Tomlin bashers out there. He’s the first coach in Steelers’ history to win 10 games in each of his first two seasons.
    Not bad for a too inexperienced, "overpaid janitor." Just again proves the Rooney's know better than the fans. Thats why they run one of the most successful franschises in pro sports.
    Loved the choice then, love it now. This guy is the BEST young coach in the league.
    I liked the hire and like him now, but, still wish he took into account how F**king awesome this defense is playing. I admire the 4th and goal call to try and get a TD, but, the points were more important and would have put the Steelers only a TD away on the scoreboard. There was so much time left in the game remaining two scoers behind could have been fatal, fortunately not. Not getting points there could have been very costly; Tomlin should thank his defense for bailing him out on that one.

That being said, it is obvious that the players respond to Mike Tomlin in a positive fashion. He asks them to play for 60 minutes and to a man they play for 60 minutes. If the other team believes they are going to be afforded time off during a game they are gravely mistaken. This team doesn't quit, ever.

Pappy
    Hey Pap, I think that you are almost contradicting yourself here. The safe play here is to take the FG. With that you are not asking your D to do anything spectacular, just keep them from scoring in the ensuing drive - something you can ask of almost any D. Instead, coach says "I'm going for the TD, worse case scenario is we get the ball back around midfield soon." I think he has that much faith in our D.

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o.
    Per Dale Lolley's blog:

Pappy
    Hey Pap, I think that you are almost contradicting yourself here. The safe play here is to take the FG. With that you are not asking your D to do anything spectacular, just keep them from scoring in the ensuing drive - something you can ask of almost any D. Instead, coach says "I'm going for the TD, worse case scenario is we get the ball back around midfield soon." I think he has that much faith in our D.
    You can't expect any run of the mill defense to get a 3 and out after a field goal, but, you can expect that from the #1 rated defense in the NFL and with the offense playing into the wind. Not getting points there was not a good feeling at the time. Lets think about the Steeler offense here for a minute. What had predicated that 4th and goal to make anyone believe that the Steelers could gain a yard on 4th down and get a touchdown?

Maybe, I'm naive about Ben, but, I like the Steelers chances in the 4th quarter if they need a touchdown with Ben as the quarterback. He's simply a winner and I have faith in him.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll