Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parker, moore, Russell

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Parker, moore, Russell

I would like to weigh in on this topic also, as it was a primary discussion point among my dad & I yesterday during the game.

I agree that Parker is not 100% and that is affecting his play. Moore is healthy & hungry and has played that way. To me, the biggest reason to play Moore ahead of Parker right now is that when Parker is in the game, the defense knows that he is no threat in the passing game, allowing them to play run first. Not only do the Steelers rarely look to get the ball to Parker with the pass, when they do, he shows very little ability to catch it or make something happen when he does catch it. Pittsburgh's greatest offensive success is when they have taken the underneath routes to Moore, Miller, & Ward THAT ALLOWS THEM TO MOVE THE CHAINS. This team needs to be able to string first downs together & get in a rhythm to be successful. I wish they could score more, but with this defense, the offense can contribute to the team's success by controlling the ball and eating clock. If they do that with the short passing game, so be it.

Right now, Moore is the better player to do that, because he is a threat out of the backfield & is running hard & smart.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize
    I would like to weigh in on this topic also, as it was a primary discussion point among my dad & I yesterday during the game.

I agree that Parker is not 100% and that is affecting his play. Moore is healthy & hungry and has played that way. To me, the biggest reason to play Moore ahead of Parker right now is that when Parker is in the game, the defense knows that he is no threat in the passing game, allowing them to play run first. Not only do the Steelers rarely look to get the ball to Parker with the pass, when they do, he shows very little ability to catch it or make something happen when he does catch it. Pittsburgh's greatest offensive success is when they have taken the underneath routes to Moore, Miller, & Ward THAT ALLOWS THEM TO MOVE THE CHAINS. This team needs to be able to string first downs together & get in a rhythm to be successful. I wish they could score more, but with this defense, the offense can contribute to the team's success by controlling the ball and eating clock. If they do that with the short passing game, so be it.

Right now, Moore is the better player to do that, because he is a threat out of the backfield & is running hard & smart.

Pete
    Logic in excess.... and spot on.

agdci981

Willie Parker should not see the field in a starting capacity or in a bulk of the carries capacity for the rest of the season. That simple.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agdci981
    Willie Parker should not see the field in a starting capacity or in a bulk of the carries capacity for the rest of the season. That simple.
    Is this your opinion because of his health status or because you feel Moore is the more capable back for our needs. IMO, I want Moore as the starter. I think he's our version of Reggie Bush / Brian Westbrook. The guy has proven to be an all-around back and with this line, its nice for Ben to have yet another option in the passing game coming out of the backfield.

Backup

User Info Menu

Looks like most people are in agreement on starting Moore over Willie. So why can't the coaching staff figure it out? I wanted to through my sausage sandwich at the tv when I saw Willie starting!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ASIAN
    Is this your opinion because of his health status or because you feel Moore is the more capable back for our needs. IMO, I want Moore as the starter. I think he's our version of Reggie Bush / Brian Westbrook. The guy has proven to be an all-around back and with this line, its nice for Ben to have yet another option in the passing game coming out of the backfield.

Glad to see you still like my allusion of MM to Westbrook A. I definitely think that MM is bringing more to the table this year. Not only is he diverse in what he can do, but he is a darn tough runner who is hard to bring down. I am sick of getting to the 1 yrd. line and walking away scoreless. This has to stop, we will lose in the playoffs eventually if this continues. It's torture to watch as we move the ball downfield only to stall inside the five. In my opinion FWP is our weakest option in this scenario and should be replaced by MM or Goal Line Gary.

That's my two Euros.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy
    Looks like most people are in agreement on starting Moore over Willie. So why can't the coaching staff figure it out? I wanted to through my sausage sandwich at the tv when I saw Willie starting!

Me, too! Except I had a meatball sandwich...but sausage is great, also.

Pete
    It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavy
    through = throw

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSize

Pete
    this is exactly the issue with Parker.

He is injured, and the opposing defenses know that when he is in the game... about 70% of the time, it will be a run play.

so, combining the team playing to tendancies- and willie not hitting the hole very hard ...and willie not having the speed to break off big runs right now-

Mewelde Moore should be starting.

He sees the field better, catches the ball better- and due to that versatility, the offense moves the ball better.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Willie is playing hurt. When/if he gets healthy, we'll have our running game back.
    i think that is why fwp is struggling. he hasnt been healthy in a long time

I just think he's hurt again. Because of that, I think MM most of th time spelled by Russell is the way to go until he's healthy again.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>