Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Parker, moore, Russell

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,303

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    I've got to disagree with much of what has been written here. If this year has taught us anything it's you can never have too many RBs. Trading Willie would be assinine. Especially if you are counting on an unproven Mendenhall taking up his slack. I would really like to annoit Mendy as a great RB but he hasn't shown that so far ... not that he has had much of a chance. So going into next year we still don't know what we have in Mendy.

    My question with Willie is why are they constantly using him to run up the middle? Isn't he the type of guy you want to get into space? Why aren't they throwing him the flares and screens out of the backfield like they used to early in his career? I agree that he is still not healthy but he seems to me to be hitting the hole harder than he has his entire career ... and please don't blame our short yardage failures on Willie. We are last in the league in 3rd and 1/4th and 1 situations and we've tried every running back on the roster. Face it, our line sucks in that situation. I mean when it's 4th and goal at the 1 and your right tackle just falls over without hitting someone you aren't going to have a lot of success no matter who runs the ball. Which in that case it was Russell, not Willie.

    Now MM has to be one of the best free agent signings this team has ever had. He reminds me of an old Steeler, Preston Pearson. Pearson was uncanny coming out of the backfield on 3rd down and making a catch for the first. Unfortunately the Steelers let him go to the Cowboys where he had the majority of his success. I think MM is the reason Ben now is comfortable checking down on the pass.

    I say they stick with the 3-headed monster except throw a little more to Willie, run a little more with MM and use Russell exclusively in the short yardage.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer Iron Shiek's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Splash Play City, OH
    Posts
    3,630

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell


    I think I stated the same exact thing yesterday at some point. RB's are the most injured/shortest lifespan position. Keep the stable so you can interchange. Everyone has their role. It would be nice to get better at other spots by using a trade, but not with our RB's. Fix the line, RB's become even better for us.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,859

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 25:17
    My assessment, painful as it is, is that Willie is just not the back he once was. I don't know if it's related to his injuries this year, an accumulation of them, lack of a FB, poor playcalling, or a combination. He's FAR from a Pro Bowl RB.

    Moore is playing good ball from a running standpoint. I haven't zeroed in on his blocking, but clearly he can catch the ball. I don't understand why Russell isn't carrying the ball inside the red zone more. He seems to be our most effective back in those situations. While he' no Jerome, I don't think we have anyone on the roster closer than him.

    Early prediction...If Mendenhall comes to camp healthy next year, FWP might be fighting for a roster spot!!
    FWP will not be fighting for a roster spot. He is a RB that just a year ago was leading the NFL in rushing. If anything I think this season has shown the team that you can't have enough good RBs. Additionally, he is relatively cheap cap wise and he is hugely valuable from the charater and work ethic standpoint. He is the type of player you want every young player to emulate.

    The top 3 next year will be: FWP, RM and MM just like this year. The key question in the backfield is whether we get a better FB than Carey Davis and if someone can push Russell off the roster.

    Reference Davis, I would try to trade for Owen Schmitt with Seattle. He is underutilized there and would be exactly what we need. He would not be expensive to get.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #24
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,335

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 25:17
    My assessment, painful as it is, is that Willie is just not the back he once was. I don't know if it's related to his injuries this year, an accumulation of them, lack of a FB, poor playcalling, or a combination. He's FAR from a Pro Bowl RB.

    Moore is playing good ball from a running standpoint. I haven't zeroed in on his blocking, but clearly he can catch the ball. I don't understand why Russell isn't carrying the ball inside the red zone more. He seems to be our most effective back in those situations. While he' no Jerome, I don't think we have anyone on the roster closer than him.

    Early prediction...If Mendenhall comes to camp healthy next year, FWP might be fighting for a roster spot!!
    FWP will not be fighting for a roster spot. He is a RB that just a year ago was leading the NFL in rushing. If anything I think this season has shown the team that you can't have enough good RBs. Additionally, he is relatively cheap cap wise and he is hugely valuable from the charater and work ethic standpoint. He is the type of player you want every young player to emulate.

    The top 3 next year will be: FWP, RM and MM just like this year. The key question in the backfield is whether we get a better FB than Carey Davis and if someone can push Russell off the roster.

    Reference Davis, I would try to trade for Owen Schmitt with Seattle. He is underutilized there and would be exactly what we need. He would not be expensive to get.
    Owen Schmitt... That's next year though (and, Schmitt can run the ball).

    Right now, Iwish Arians would pick one of the backs to be the feature back and stick with him, unless, he's hurt, then go to plan "B". Both Parker and Moore seem to be the type of back that needs to be handed the ball on a consistent basis rather than every third series or so. Pick one, stick with him and use the others in specialty situatuions or the occasional series as a change of pace.

    I just don't like giving a running back 2 series then sit him for two, then give him two and sit him for two, etc.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  5. #25

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    I say Parker will be traded after this season to the Az Cardinals. Whiz will need a RB after he cuts Edge and the Steelers are pretty effing deep at RB (especially when Mendenhall comes back).

    Thanks for the memories, Willie. Lets get one more ring this year.
    I think they might like Hightower too much to really go after a 'big name' RB. Willie doesn't bring as much as Moore does...at least now right now. There are so many times when I watch games and think to myself...you're FAST Willie Parker, why aren't you taking that run to the outside???

    Still, I think someone might give up a 2nd rounder for him this offseason, and since right now I think Moore is better then Willie, and with Mendenhall at full strength next year, I would absolutely trade FWP.

    SFL/DVS (should you be creeping and reading this)...You had the right idea on this one, even if you were pimping it way too early.

    no, he didn't. he said BEFORE this season.
    i said AFTER this season, when someone has proven they can step up.
    I was more right.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  6. #26

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by D Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    I say Parker will be traded after this season to the Az Cardinals. Whiz will need a RB after he cuts Edge and the Steelers are pretty effing deep at RB (especially when Mendenhall comes back).

    Thanks for the memories, Willie. Lets get one more ring this year.
    I think they might like Hightower too much to really go after a 'big name' RB. Willie doesn't bring as much as Moore does...at least now right now. There are so many times when I watch games and think to myself...you're FAST Willie Parker, why aren't you taking that run to the outside???

    Still, I think someone might give up a 2nd rounder for him this offseason, and since right now I think Moore is better then Willie, and with Mendenhall at full strength next year, I would absolutely trade FWP.

    SFL/DVS (should you be creeping and reading this)...You had the right idea on this one, even if you were pimping it way too early.
    BTW
    1. have you seen Hightower's last couple of games? and
    2. FWP really isn't big name. He'd net a 3rd at best...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  7. #27
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    they need to use a fb more and i would perfer mchugh over davis. its so painful to see them go spread with 4 wr's on 1st down or any single back formation. parker's numbers were far better with krieder. its a shame that ba hates fb's. i would also like to see them get a big rb in the offseason. i would think fwp could get a mid to low 2nd round pick.

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer Jooser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Somewhere On the Darkside...
    Posts
    3,891

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 25:17
    My assessment, painful as it is, is that Willie is just not the back he once was. I don't know if it's related to his injuries this year, an accumulation of them, lack of a FB, poor playcalling, or a combination. He's FAR from a Pro Bowl RB.

    Moore is playing good ball from a running standpoint. I haven't zeroed in on his blocking, but clearly he can catch the ball. I don't understand why Russell isn't carrying the ball inside the red zone more. He seems to be our most effective back in those situations. While he' no Jerome, I don't think we have anyone on the roster closer than him.

    Early prediction...If Mendenhall comes to camp healthy next year, FWP might be fighting for a roster spot!!
    FWP will not be fighting for a roster spot. He is a RB that just a year ago was leading the NFL in rushing. If anything I think this season has shown the team that you can't have enough good RBs. Additionally, he is relatively cheap cap wise and he is hugely valuable from the charater and work ethic standpoint. He is the type of player you want every young player to emulate.

    The top 3 next year will be: FWP, RM and MM just like this year. The key question in the backfield is whether we get a better FB than Carey Davis and if someone can push Russell off the roster.

    Reference Davis, I would try to trade for Owen Schmitt with Seattle. He is underutilized there and would be exactly what we need. He would not be expensive to get.
    Owen Schmitt... That's next year though (and, Schmitt can run the ball).
    Right now, Iwish Arians would pick one of the backs to be the feature back and stick with him, unless, he's hurt, then go to plan "B". Both Parker and Moore seem to be the type of back that needs to be handed the ball on a consistent basis rather than every third series or so. Pick one, stick with him and use the others in specialty situatuions or the occasional series as a change of pace.

    I just don't like giving a running back 2 series then sit him for two, then give him two and sit him for two, etc.

    Pappy
    Yes, SCHMITT HAPPENS!!!!

  9. #29

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    they need to use a fb more and i would perfer mchugh over davis. its so painful to see them go spread with 4 wr's on 1st down or any single back formation. parker's numbers were far better with krieder. its a shame that ba hates fb's. i would also like to see them get a big rb in the offseason. i would think fwp could get a mid to low 2nd round pick.
    would be nice to have another back to pick up the blitz, too... that's HUGE, since the line is struggling to block - blitz or not.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,773

    Re: Parker, moore, Russell

    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    they need to use a fb more and i would perfer mchugh over davis. its so painful to see them go spread with 4 wr's on 1st down or any single back formation. parker's numbers were far better with krieder. its a shame that ba hates fb's. i would also like to see them get a big rb in the offseason. i would think fwp could get a mid to low 2nd round pick.
    On a related note, I voted for Kreider for the NFC Probowl team yesterday. He's on the ballot and no longer a member of the Rams. Makes sense

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •