Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parker, moore, Russell

Parker, moore, Russell

Is it just me, or does Miwelde Moore bring something extra most times over Willie Parker? And what is this running back by committee? One set of downs one guy, the next set of downs the other. Even better, running Willie Parker straight ahead at the goal line was proven ineffective last year. Why are the Steelers trying it again?!? Hasn't Russell shown an ability to bull through the line in short yardage situations? Its almost like Arians throws a dart before every play to figure out which running back to send in.

Would appreciate someone in the know explaining Arian's line of thought.

Thanks in advance!

Ezekiel 25:17

Re: Parker, moore, Russell

My assessment, painful as it is, is that Willie is just not the back he once was. I don't know if it's related to his injuries this year, an accumulation of them, lack of a FB, poor playcalling, or a combination. He's FAR from a Pro Bowl RB.

Moore is playing good ball from a running standpoint. I haven't zeroed in on his blocking, but clearly he can catch the ball. I don't understand why Russell isn't carrying the ball inside the red zone more. He seems to be our most effective back in those situations. While he' no Jerome, I don't think we have anyone on the roster closer than him.

Early prediction...If Mendenhall comes to camp healthy next year, FWP might be fighting for a roster spot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel 25:17
    My assessment, painful as it is, is that Willie is just not the back he once was. I don't know if it's related to his injuries this year, an accumulation of them, lack of a FB, poor playcalling, or a combination. He's FAR from a Pro Bowl RB.

Moore is playing good ball from a running standpoint. I haven't zeroed in on his blocking, but clearly he can catch the ball. I don't understand why Russell isn't carrying the ball inside the red zone more. He seems to be our most effective back in those situations. While he' no Jerome, I don't think we have anyone on the roster closer than him.

Early prediction...If Mendenhall comes to camp healthy next year, FWP might be fighting for a roster spot!!
    Nah mane. Its clear we need depth at that position. Just keep em all...injuries (especially to rb's) happen so frequently, we likely need all these guys while we can afford them. But I know what you mean about willie, it sucks seeing him struggle like this. Hopefully by playoff time he gets going.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

I say Parker will be traded after this season to the Az Cardinals. Whiz will need a RB after he cuts Edge and the Steelers are pretty effing deep at RB (especially when Mendenhall comes back).

Thanks for the memories, Willie. Lets get one more ring this year.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    I say Parker will be traded after this season to the Az Cardinals. Whiz will need a RB after he cuts Edge and the Steelers are pretty effing deep at RB (especially when Mendenhall comes back).

Thanks for the memories, Willie. Lets get one more ring this year.
    I think they might like Hightower too much to really go after a 'big name' RB. Willie doesn't bring as much as Moore does...at least now right now. There are so many times when I watch games and think to myself...you're FAST Willie Parker, why aren't you taking that run to the outside???

Still, I think someone might give up a 2nd rounder for him this offseason, and since right now I think Moore is better then Willie, and with Mendenhall at full strength next year, I would absolutely trade FWP.

SFL/DVS (should you be creeping and reading this)...You had the right idea on this one, even if you were pimping it way too early.

Legend

It's the matchups.

Defenses commit more guys to stopping the run versus Parker.

Pro Bowler

Willie is playing hurt. When/if he gets healthy, we'll have our running game back.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Willie is playing hurt. When/if he gets healthy, we'll have our running game back.
    i think that is why fwp is struggling. he hasnt been healthy in a long time

I like the backfield by committee idea. We cater to plays via the strengths that each of our RB pieces bring. Moore has excellent hands and plays designed to implement those particular skill sets are wise, plus I feel he has better vision in shooting through the gaps and get more yardage on plays ran between the tackles. Russell has proven he's more than able to be our short yardage back... he plays very stout, has quick Bettis-like feet and hits holes with force. Willie is our home run hitter. When we've battered a team with heavy doses of the other, Willie (a healthy Willie) will go for the jugular with his speed. The New England game was a great example of this. We had Moore gaining yardage via runs and short passes, occasionally sprinkling Russell when short yardage was needed. Then Willie was being inserted when we had the guards pulling to the outside and ran to the outside. Willie was used when the opposing D had enough (stat in the NE game: 16 yards gained in the first half - 71 yards in the second).

Here's my question. We used this philosophy well in the New England game, while implementing a mixture of quick 3 step drops, shot gun formations and no-huddles... with maybe 2-4 plays of the notorious 7 step-takes too long to develop-gets our line way too much time to collapse-and has Ben flat on his back in a sack. The play calling was not to my liking last night. With the clock ticking and having only 8 1/2 minutes left to even the score we had to score 10 pts... why not run the no-huddle then?

This defense is amazing and I for one, am glad we won the game. A win is a win. I'll take it. But with this D, we should be stomping teams. Its not like we are the SB Ravens. We don't have Trent Dilfer at QB. And as deep as our RB corps is? We should ramming the ball down people's throats, old school style. Just my two yen.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit
    Everyone wants to forget that essentially we have played the season without our top 2 running backs. Moore has never been a #1 and would not be for us without injuries to FWP and Mendenhall. FWP is no better than 75-80% healthy right now.

If Mendenhall was healthy I think we would be seeing a completely different and more effective running game.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!