Thread: Nate Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Nate Washington

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    meanwhile....

Santonio had another drop...

(hines did, too, but, I've been arguing that Santonio was more concerning to me than Nate - some disagreed).
    But Santonio came up huge with the 47 yard bomb, the 35 yard punt return, and the sideline catch in the red zone in which he kept both feet in bounds after Ben escaped a Cowboy sack.
    That doesn't mean the drop didn't happen.

There have been quite a few games where Nate makes plays, then gets a drop and all people remember is the drop.

People forgive Santonio for his drops. They don't forgive Nate. I'm not sure why.

I've argued that for most of this season.

(I'm convinced Santonio has more drops than Nate).
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like Nate, but he does not catch contested balls well at all. He has little strength in his arms and hands to secure the jump ball when a back is hammering at him.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    While Nate is getting better he still does not make tough catches in traffic where he has to outfight the DB for the ball. I'm not sure if that is just learning to position your body or getting stronger but most of his successful catches he seems to have to be wide open.

I also don't think that he will be viewed by the league in the off season as anything more than a #3 receiver. No way he gets starter money.
    Which Steeler receiver makes plays in traffic? I don't mean catching a ball in the middle and getting rocked, they all do that, including Nate. I mean goes up and out battles a DB for the ball like TO. None of the Steeler WRs do that very well, hopefully, Sweed will be that guy very soon.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    While Nate is getting better he still does not make tough catches in traffic where he has to outfight the DB for the ball. I'm not sure if that is just learning to position your body or getting stronger but most of his successful catches he seems to have to be wide open.

I also don't think that he will be viewed by the league in the off season as anything more than a #3 receiver. No way he gets starter money.
    Which Steeler receiver makes plays in traffic? I don't mean catching a ball in the middle and getting rocked, they all do that, including Nate. I mean goes up and out battles a DB for the ball like TO. None of the Steeler WRs do that very well, hopefully, Sweed will be that guy very soon.

Pappy
    receivers are human, too... it's ahrd to catch a ball if a couple of 225 lb men are trying to prevent it. MOST WRs don't make catches in traffic.

3.98 -<tbd>

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    receivers are human, too... it's ahrd to catch a ball if a couple of 225 lb men are trying to prevent it. MOST WRs don't make catches in traffic.
    That's my point, I like Nate and his ability to get open recently. Teams are finding out that it's not difficult for him to get behind them and yesterday I saw Ben actually throw one before Nate was open down the sideline. A little bit farther out in front of Nate and he could have potentially caught it, as it was, the DB was able to wait and get a hand in to knock it away.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy
    That's my point, I like Nate and his ability to get open recently. Teams are finding out that it's not difficult for him to get behind them and yesterday I saw Ben actually throw one before Nate was open down the sideline. A little bit farther out in front of Nate and he could have potentially caught it, as it was, the DB was able to wait and get a hand in to knock it away.

Pappy
    agree with you, pap...

Not that Nate hasn't had any drops, he certainly has (as all WRs do). But, why is it that people hate him when he does it?

3.98 -<tbd>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not that Nate hasn't had any drops, he certainly has (as all WRs do). But, why is it that people hate him when he does it?
    Because he's from Tiffin and most people think he doesn't even belong on the field.
    So a drop here and there justifies their thinking.

What about Holmes? He has way to many drops for a first round pick, but I don't think
    he gets bashed as much as Nate.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy

Pappy
    agree with you, pap...

I'm not sure, typically, Steeler fans love the underdog, Rocky Bleier, Merrill Hoge, etc. I'm not sure why the hate for Nate. I continue to hope that the Steelers can get a deal done with him for another 4 or 5 years. He's had a longer learning curve, but, I believe it's startgin to pay off. I'd hate to lose the ROI on him by sending him packing.

Pappy

7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

everyone has to have a player they hate and Nate is ours.. dude could catch 6 TD's in one game but let Nate drop a 5 yard out on 1st down... that is all the haters will talk about.

makes no sense... Ward and Holmes have dropped twice as many passes but Nates drop will always be the one remembered cause of how he started his career here.

Same with Mendenhall...he is already known as "injury prone fumblehall" LOL!!

first impressions.. I'm just glad we are fans and not coaches..

Timmons would be gone..
    Nate.. gone
    Troy P.. gone
    I lost a bet about Najee gaining 1300 yards.

"Our head coach has failed to win a playoff game for seven years in a row. His game day strategy, culture of divas, in game decisions, clock management, player evaluation, hires, and affinity with sub par starters at RB, P, and OL are holding the Steelers back. That standard remains the standard"

Legend

User Info Menu

I think noone can deny he drops alot of easy ones. But, ya know, so do some of the best, most overpaid WRs in the league. I have to agree he's a good 3rd WR option who has made more 'Big Plays' this year than Santokio or Hines. He is definitely improving and I like his speed. Just get some stick um Nate!
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION