Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Nate Washington

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    I'm not sure, typically, Steeler fans love the underdog, Rocky Bleier, Merrill Hoge, etc. I'm not sure why the hate for Nate. I continue to hope that the Steelers can get a deal done with him for another 4 or 5 years. He's had a longer learning curve, but, I believe it's startgin to pay off. I'd hate to lose the ROI on him by sending him packing.

Pappy
    wouldn't hesitate to give him what we gave to Ced... couple mil a year for 4-5 seasons...
    That may be the deal of the century if they could manage something like that.

Pappy
    i don't think it'll be too far off. unless he has a huge postseason, he'll be viewed as a #3 by most, IMO.
    Even teams that are desperate for NFL ready WR talent? That's my fear that some GM in a desperate moment will offer him a boatload of dough, i.e. Antwan Randel El

Pappy
    I don't think so. I know some teams are desperate, but, there have been too many make mistakes on Nate Burleson's for $64 million... Even Bryant Johnson wasn't given a big contract... 1 year , $2 million deal with the 9ers... and he played with the pass-happy Cardinals and replaced Fitz and/or Boldin well... and he had a 1st round pedigree (and body).

$3 mil per, at MOST for Nate... But, I could see him settling for $2 mil... especially if the draft is considered WR heavy (don't know if it is).

Unless he pulles an ARE in the postseason, I don't see a big deal for him.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't think so. I know some teams are desperate, but, there have been too many make mistakes on Nate Burleson's for $64 million... Even Bryant Johnson wasn't given a big contract... 1 year , $2 million deal with the 9ers... and he played with the pass-happy Cardinals and replaced Fitz and/or Boldin well... and he had a 1st round pedigree (and body).

$3 mil per, at MOST for Nate... But, I could see him settling for $2 mil... especially if the draft is considered WR heavy (don't know if it is).

Unless he pulles an ARE in the postseason, I don't see a big deal for him.
    I hope you're right. At this point I'd hate to lose him even though the offense is struggling. I'd like to see what happens next year with this offense. Actually, I'd like to see it happen this year and very soon!

What do you think his guaranteed up front money will be?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

What's not to love about Nate? He's as good as any #3 WR and I think he can eventually break the starting lineup if he keeps working hard and improving.

Pretty much the only thing he doesn't do at this point is go up and pluck balls out of the air like Steve Smith. But who does?

Remember this is a young guy who was a UDFA. And in his years in Pittsburgh, he's really had limited chances to work with Ben so far.

Ben seems to really like him.

I think next year could be his breakout year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ward
    Target - 98 times
    % Caught - 61.2
    Drops - 7

Holmes
    Target - 92
    % Caught - 47.8
    Drops - 5

Washington
    Target - 60
    % Caught - 51.7
    Drops - 3

Here are the stats from [url=http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/index.asp]Washington Post[/url]. In my opinion Nate gets more flack from his drops than either Hines or Tone because it has been a problem his entire career. For this year the WRs are dropping far too many passes with a good number of them essentially taking away points. We can't afford for this to continue come playoff time.

Where many might consider the offensive line to be this team's achilles heel I think it has been drops and stupid penalties. If the offense gets in sync this team will start to obliterate opponents ... and maybe save a few steeler fans from game day heart attacks.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

No way I would give Nate $3M per year. That would be way overpaying especially given you have Sweed in the wings. If someone will give him that much let him walk and draft someone in Round 3 or 4.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"