Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate Washington

Re: Nate Washington

Nate is still the same guy. He has always shown the ability to make the big play, and then shows the ability to kill a big drive.

However, in calling out the "haters", you must remember one thing. No matter what he does in the future does not erase what he has done in the past - good and bad. If he drops a big ball next week, it does not erase his contributions this week. On the flip side, if he finishes the season without another drop and makes a ton of big catches, that does not mean that he did not have many big drops throughout his career.

steeld95

All the hating on Nate is just dumb. He is our #3 WR. With Heath Miller he is really our 4th option. He is continuously making plays this year when given the chance. Nate has become a big part of our offense. I think Nate fits his role well. He puts up pretty good #'s for a #3 WR. Just think, if we keep him and Sweed progresses, we are going to be dangerous at WR. We just need to address the O line in the off season with the draft and free agency and we have a bright future!

meanwhile....

Santonio had another drop...

(hines did, too, but, I've been arguing that Santonio was more concerning to me than Nate - some disagreed).
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!
    Team Needs, 2015 Draft (In order of need): CB, NT, OLB, FS, DE

Nate had zero drops today. That it what I am talking about when people evaluate his performances. Passes that are batted away by defenders are called drops by Nate. People have been conditioned to think that way. He has not had nearly as many drops in his career as the herd thinks he has had.

He is a good receiver with speed and getting better. Also Big Ben is getting more confidence in him.

Legend

Nate outruns Ben's arm consistently.

Nate's the best WR at getting open deep and he's open on nearly every play when I've seen him play live. He even gets more over the top safety help than Santonio.

He's improving as a WR. We're seeing more than just deep routes.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    I was a HUGE Nate backer til this year.

Nate just doesn't have "natural" pass catching ability. Especially w/ a defender on him. Can he make plays, sure ... i give him credit for that ... but at the end of the day, I can't justify giving this guy a starters contract at the end of the season.
    no way he will get starters money from any team

Legend

While Nate is getting better he still does not make tough catches in traffic where he has to outfight the DB for the ball. I'm not sure if that is just learning to position your body or getting stronger but most of his successful catches he seems to have to be wide open.

I also don't think that he will be viewed by the league in the off season as anything more than a #3 receiver. No way he gets starter money.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe
    I was a HUGE Nate backer til this year.

Nate just doesn't have "natural" pass catching ability. Especially w/ a defender on him. Can he make plays, sure ... i give him credit for that ... but at the end of the day, I can't justify giving this guy a starters contract at the end of the season.
    no way he will get starters money from any team
    I bet he does depending on the FA market for WR. If it's thin, a team desperate for a WR will throw some nice money at Nate.

Especially if he comes up big in the playoffs. Remember Larry Brown???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

I've never been a big fan of Nate. He has always been too inconsistent for my tastes. As a #3 receiver I think we have had better and we have had worse (Ced). However, my estimation of him as a player took a huge leap yesterday (pun intended) when he jumped up from that injury. That to me gave the team a big emotional lift which the offense definitely needed.

While I think Nate has improved this year the receiving corp as a whole has regressed. They have had far too many drops, far too many pre-snap penalties, and far too many mental mistakes (i.e. not recognizing the blitz and running a hot route). They also do not do well going for that 50/50 ball which the good receivers have the knack of catching.

Now that I said this I don't think the problem stems from a lack of ability. For some reason the passing game has been out of sync for most of the year. They have too much talent for it to stay that way so I can only hope they break out of their doldrums come playoff time. If that happens look for this team to start obliterating their opponents.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    meanwhile....

Santonio had another drop...

(hines did, too, but, I've been arguing that Santonio was more concerning to me than Nate - some disagreed).
    But Santonio came up huge with the 47 yard bomb, the 35 yard punt return, and the sideline catch in the red zone in which he kept both feet in bounds after Ben escaped a Cowboy sack.