Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Say what you want about Ben, he is elite...

mr.pittsburgh

Re: Say what you want about Ben, he is elite...

[quote=Big Kahuna Burgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by "mr.pittsburgh":2a2dq2az

Ben does not call all line protections, it is the center's job to do that, trust me. The center calls all of the blocking schemes, if it is zone, then he will make the right right, or left left calls. Ben's job is to help out with the calls watching the guys coming off of the edge. It is NOT a qb's job to do that, take it from a college center, there is a lot more film to watch as a center than any other offensive linemen for that pure reason.
    No, Ben and every other elite QB in the NFL calls their own protections at the line, Ben also makes the line calls he took over duties from Faneca 2 season's ago, half the posters on this forum probably knew that.

And no Ben isn't just pointing at a LB at the edge, you really don't know what you are talking about, every NFL QB comes to the line and counts the number of defenders in the box , than he can redirect his protection strong or weak by changing who the offense is recognizing as the (mike) LB, if he wants his protection redirected strongside he will make the (sam) LB the new (Mike), when you see a QB calling out the Mike he is setting his protection.

You sure you played college football? next time you want to call people clowns and ridicule them make certain you know what you are talking about, there are plenty of posters here who also played college football including me, there were former NFL players at the Trib forum, if you feel the need to back up your opinions try using facts, and the rest of the board can decide if you are credible or not, otherwise you will just make a fool out of yourself.[/quote:2a2dq2az]

Okay buddy, since you are such an internet tough guy with a gay a** avatar I will set you straight. I played college football at the university of Alabama. I was a 2nd string center after walking on as a freshmen. I never got a start, but was on the kickoff return, and PAT teams. Yes, I do know what I am talking about. The calls are made at the line, usually a designate makes the call. That is usually done by the center. The QB's job, is to help out as much as possible. He will point to the edges and help the tackles, but it is the center's job to control the middle.

I do not know what your problem is with me on this site, nor do i care. I did play, I do not care if you believe it or not, but you armchair QBs don't know what goes on. Get a clue, trying to prove me wrong when I HAVE BEEN THERE. I know what it is like, and I know what I am talking about.

god some of you are ridiculous...

Quote Originally Posted by mr.pittsburgh

hmmmm.... 10-3.....Not an elite team??? Tell me, who would you put in that category over us??? Giants and who???? Titans are not as good as everyone thinks, and they won't be running on our defense. Give it up, you Ben haters are a joke. Crying for Byron when Ben has one bad half. Get a clue you clown.
    Even if this team won the rest of their games and finish 13-3, IMO they would not be considered ELITE. This label is subjective and under the consideration of each individual's perception of the word ELITE.

The 2007 Dallas Cowboys finished the season 13-3, first round bye in last year's playoffs, home field advantage, in comes the NY Giants.... loss. Regular season wins mean nothing, ask last year's Patriots. As for the "Ben Haters" comment. I think most here love the fact that Ben is our QB, but like any facet of our team we can be critical without hating. Ben is a great QB and is king of improvisation under duress, and his win percentage since coming into the league is staggering. These qualities about Ben are irrefutable. If this is your quantification of the word ELITE, then I'd have to agree with you. But others might not have the same definition or perception of Ben or what he brings to the team.

One thing for sure, he's not infallible. Mistakes were made on Sunday by him and other components of the team. You just can't have the defense give you 4 takeaways and yield only 3 points. Capitalizing on your opponents is key during the post season and in this conference this is a wave we have to ride. Some weeks we're great at it, case in point the NE game... some weeks not too good, Cowboy game. I wouldn't want any other QB, but occasionally I can point out my criticism on the guy without hating on him.

Well said my friend, well said.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Hall of Famer

I would, as well, ask for what constitues "Elite"?

-- is it statistics and numbers
    -- is it the ability to consistently lead your team to victory
    -- is it the ability to be able to come back after being down
    -- is it the ability to recover and overcome from mistakes and adversity
    -- is it the ability to carry a team
    -- is it the abilty to make all those around you better
    -- the ability to check down.

To me, Ben has certainly had elite stretches of play. He certainly has the VICTORIES in his first years to merit elite discussion. To me, however, he needs to be more consistent to be considered truly elite. Even the "great ones" have bad games now and again, but Ben's are coming too often as of late. Maybe he is trying to compensate for the shortcomings of other aspects of the offense. I think Ben is a GREAT quarterback .. I don't yet consider him ELITE.

But I don'tn consider many ELITE.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

To me, Ben has certainly had elite stretches of play. He certainly has the VICTORIES in his first years to merit elite discussion. To me, however, he needs to be more consistent to be considered truly elite. Even the "great ones" have bad games now and again, but Ben's are coming too often as of late. Maybe he is trying to compensate for the shortcomings of other aspects of the offense. I think Ben is a GREAT quarterback .. I don't yet consider him ELITE.

I've never understood why you hate Ben...

Legend

"Elite" is a meaningless label to give talking heads and writers in the sports media something to talk about. Being labeled "elite" does not guarantee you anymore wins as a team. What does the label matter?

Ben wins. He gets it done. Sometimes it is pretty, e.g. Tomlin's "syle points." Sometimes it is ugly.

We have the third best record in the NFL this season and not one of those 10 victiries had anything to do with Ben or this team being labeled "elite." No one can even agree on what "elite" means so how can it possibly matter.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Ballbuster

Here's a guy that thinks Ben is elite:

http://nflsolomon.blogs.sportsline.com/ ... 73/9237768

Personally, I'm on the fence with this issue. Ben has played consistently inconsistent to be considered 'elite' in my humble and respectful opinion.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

I've never understood why you hate Ben...
    Never mind that, how have I escaped having the Troll label applied all these years?
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    "Elite" is a meaningless label to give talking heads and writers in the sports media something to talk about. Being labeled "elite" does not guarantee you anymore wins as a team. What does the label matter?

Ben wins. He gets it done. Sometimes it is pretty, e.g. Tomlin's "syle points." Sometimes it is ugly.

We have the third best record in the NFL this season and not one of those 10 victiries had anything to do with Ben or this team being labeled "elite." No one can even agree on what "elite" means so how can it possibly matter.
    I agree 100%, but, if I had to define "elite" it would be as such and it's very simlpe really. Is the quarterback you have the player you want on the field in the 4th quarter and needing a game winning drive? If you answer yes, then you have your elite quarterback, if you answer no, then you need to look to the draft or FA.

The Steelers have their "elite" quarterback.

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

What's really funny is I'm sure if you go to the Colts board you will probably be able to find the same type of threads about Peyton. The same goes for past years on the *'s board about Marcia.

Personally, I love having Ben as our QB but I do reserve the right to call him every name in the book (and at times have) along with any other player on the team. Except for Silverback ... I'm afraid he might hear me through the TV.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>