Thread: ASmith comments on game...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ASmith comments on game...

This is basically the same exact thing he said last year and I guarantee it won't get as blown out of proportion as it did last year. I don't care that he sayin this, its true. If our defense plays up to its capabilities, we win. Its simple.

[url]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/25/steelers-smith-not-done-making-guarantees/[/url]

STEELERS’ SMITH NOT DONE MAKING GUARANTEES
    Posted by Michael David Smith on November 25, 2008, 12:32 p.m. EST
    Steelers safety Anthony Smith was embarrassed last season when he guaranteed victory over the Patriots and things didn’t quite work out that way.

But as the Steelers prepare to play the Patriots on Sunday, Smith is not done making guarantees.

“If they ask me again, I’ll say the same thing,” Smith told the Indiana Gazette, per Adam Schefter of NFL Network. “We’re the No. 1 defense. If we play like we’ve been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we’re clicking on all cylinders, we’re going to win the game.”

Of course, a declaration of victory over the Patriots this year isn’t as meaningful as it was last year, when New England was undefeated. And it’s especially less meaningful coming from Smith, who was a starter last year but no longer gets significant playing time.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: ASmith comments on game...

He should worry more about not getting any unsportsmanlike penalties on punt coverage.

I don't know what is worst, Smith's comment or the idiots in the media going to a guy who is not even starting and baiting him into making the comment.

Starter

User Info Menu

I agree Shiek, i thought that AS was thrown under the bus last year for basically saying "if we do everything right we win"..paraphrasing of course..

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm glad he said it, it is true and now the onus is on the Steelers to play like an 8-3 team that wants to contend for the Super Bowl.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    I agree Shiek, i thought that AS was thrown under the bus last year for basically saying "if we do everything right we win"..paraphrasing of course..
    You say paraphrasing, I say that's exactly what anthony smith said. That's why I had such a problem with the treatment it got last season. They turned it into something he didn't say. And the problem was, it was obvious, but people wanted to hear a full-fledged guarentee, so that's what they heard.

Personally, I hope Anthony Smith makes a big play on defense, and starts talking trash to the Patriots sideline like Marcia Brady did last year. I don't usually condone that, but I think it fits this time around.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by proudpittsburgher
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettoscott
    You say paraphrasing, I say that's exactly what anthony smith said. That's why I had such a problem with the treatment it got last season. They turned it into something he didn't say. And the problem was, it was obvious, but people wanted to hear a full-fledged guarentee, so that's what they heard.

Personally, I hope Anthony Smith makes a big play on defense, and starts talking trash to the Patriots sideline like Marcia Brady did last year. I don't usually condone that, but I think it fits this time around.
    he got hosed... but, he DID agree with the guarantee... sorta.

thing is... i'm fine with it.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting thing is that you never see the reporters question in the quote. That makes all the difference when it comes to context. If the question was something like "Last year you said that you had a good D before the NE game, if asked again, what would you say?

“If they ask me again, I’ll say the same thing,” Smith told the Indiana Gazette, per Adam Schefter of NFL Network. “We’re the No. 1 defense. If we play like we’ve been playing, and our offense comes around and has a good game, and we’re clicking on all cylinders, we’re going to win the game.”
    Last year was blown way out of proportion. He did not make a guarantee. Namath made one, Messier made one, Smith said basically that if we play our best game we will win. In my books that is not a statement that should get that kind of treatment. If anything, it diminishes what guys like Namath and Messier did.

Backup

User Info Menu

regardless, its dumb. Smith popped off last year and got literally toasted all day.
    now he glued his last two brain cells together and chimed in? what does that possibly do other than get the opposing team fired up? now, he can't even back up his statement as all he does is draw penalties on special teams.

what he should have said was... "go ask james harrison and lamarr woodley, I really have no bearing on the outcome of this game" OR, "cassell just threw for over 800 yards and 7 TD's the last 2 weeks, I hope we can cut that number in half"

it pains me to say this, as I've had high hopes for the kid, but he's a moron.