NFL Insider: Steelers' Harrison knows all about going Greene

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY
Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison flew around Heinz Field as if propelled by Sunday's wind-whipped snow squall.

Harrison's fierce playmaking accounted for what Steelers coach Mike Tomlin calls two "Splash" plays that generated five points in an 11-10 dunking of the San Diego Chargers.

"Coach (Dick) LeBeau calls it 'Steelers weather,' " Harrison says, referring to the coordinator of the No. 1-ranked defense in yards allowed. "We feel like we're built to get to the quarterback.

"I'm just making plays that this defensive scheme is built to get."

Harrison is on a tear with 12 sacks and four forced fumbles, including a game-changing safety against mammoth Chargers tight end Brandon Manumaleuna.

The 6-foot, 242-pound Harrison raced into the end zone and fended off the 6-foot-2, 288-pound tight end with one arm while stripping the ball from quarterback Philip Rivers with his free hand.

The Chargers recovered. But the safety cut their lead to 7-2.

Then, Harrison intercepted Rivers to set up kicker Jeff Reed's 21-yard field goal.

"My whole drive is to do anything you tell me I can't do," Harrison says. "Don't tell me I can't make it to the Pro Bowl or I can't make defensive MVP."

The undrafted pass rusher has 20½sacks since stepping in last year at outside linebacker for Joey Porter.

Former Steelers linebacker Kevin Greene was fired up watching Harrison's performance from Florida, having spent the first week of training camp working with Harrison and counterpart LaMarr Woodley, who have combined for 21½sacks.

"I smile like I'm seeing my kids out there," says Greene, who had 160 sacks in 15 seasons with four teams. "Listen to me. I spent a week working with them. The real credit goes to coach LeBeau and linebackers coach Keith Butler. But I smile when I see what James and LaMarr are doing.

"I'd like to think I helped a little bit with their technique and hand placement at the point of attack against the run."

Harrison said he adopted one of Greene's power moves that has helped him get sacks and forced fumbles.

"James is definitely hitting on all cylinders because in that 3-4 defense your outside linebackers have to be playmakers," Greene says.

[url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-11-18-nfl-insider_N.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ider_N.htm[/url]