Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD and the NHL

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: HD and the NHL

[quote=stlrz d][quote=RuthlessBurgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2q0boqpm
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":2q0boqpm
    RB - for me part of the attraction of football is the break and strategy between each play...even in the no huddle there is some stoppage between plays.

I like that "tension" between plays.

I've tried watching hockey and I don't fully understand the game, which is probably part of why it doesn't hold my attention. And some of the rules (icing, offsides, two line pass) just don't seem to make sense to me.

Plus, other than intramural floor hockey, I never really played the game.

I've been watching and playing football all my life.

It's a football world...the other sports just live in it!
    I agree that football is the unquestioned #1. I think hockey is a solid #2, though. In my mind, it is much better than basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, tennis, NASCAR, etc. as a spectator sport.

While you may like the breaks in the action football provides, I am often amazed at how hockey players are able to cycle in and out seemlessly with no breaks in the action. How they are able to coordinate line changes on the fly like that always impressed me.

There is no such thing as a two line pass anymore, so there is one of those 3 confusing things out of the way.

Offsides just means that a player cannot enter his offensive zone before the puck does.

Icing just means that you can't just dump the puck out of your own zone from beyond center ice.

Not too tough to figure out if you sit through a few games (and it is best to learn the game by actually attending live games instead of watching on TV. Hockey arenas have a great atmosphere).
    RB - I didn't say I didn't know what some of the rules were...I said they didn't make sense to me!

And honestly, I'd watch baseball, basketball and golf before hockey.
    If I'm in need of a good afternoon nap, sports like baseball, basketball, and golf could always do the trick. I want a sport with a lot of action and hitting like football and hockey. To each his own...[/quote:2q0boqpm]

*sniff* Is this our first fight?

[/quote:2q0boqpm]

If it is a hockey fight, sure! Let's drop the gloves, baby! Actually, the thought of actually trying to fight while on skates also boggles my mind. I can barely stand up on the ice without holding on to the boards. Could you imagine someone trying to pummel you while you are skating?

Goodell's pu$$ifying the NFL to the point that a defender cannot breathe on the QB without a $10,000 fine, but the NHL allows bareknuckle fighting in the middle of a game. Take that, boxing and MMA!

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Goodell's pu$$ifying the NFL to the point that a defender cannot breathe on the QB without a $10,000 fine, but the NHL allows bareknuckle fighting in the middle of a game. Take that, boxing and MMA!
    Yes! And fighting in hockey is THE perfect way for the players to police their own sport. That is why it is tolerated in the NHL and other pro leagues. Fighting in hockey is the code of the gladiators.

Goodell can shove his d!ckbag rules that make the QB untouchable straight up his @$$!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Yes! And fighting in hockey is THE perfect way for the players to police their own sport. That is why it is tolerated in the NHL and other pro leagues. Fighting in hockey is the code of the gladiators.

Goodell can shove his d!ckbag rules that make the QB untouchable straight up his @$$!
    Could you imagine if hockey-style fights were allowed in the NFL?

Is there any player you could think of that would "drop helmets" to square off with Silverback?