Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HD and the NHL

HD and the NHL

I posted this in the Tribs Penguins forum...

It's my opinion that the NFL is as popular as it is simply because it's made for television. It's slow and easy to follow. However, I think that if you compare an average NFL game to an average NHL game, hockey is much more exciting to experience live.

The reason the NHL isn't as popular is because it's not as easy to follow on television. The solution in the mid 90's was that ridiculous glow puck experiment. Some people liked it, most people didn't.

My question is do you think that hockey will become more popular with HD becoming the new standard in living rooms across the nation? Will the clearer picture make it easier for the average fan to follow the puck, and the game in general?

Legend

Re: HD and the NHL

I just don't like hockey.

Maybe I'd watch if naked ladies played...but not the way it is now no matter the definition of the picture.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

No sport is more improved by the transition to HD than hockey is. I don't know if it will bring more fans necessarily (I don't think they make the transition to naked lady hockey any time soon, stlrz_d...sorry), but I for one absolutely love it! I'm always surprised when football fans don't like hockey. The speed, the hitting, the incredible plays...awesome stuff. Maybe they just aren't giving it a fair chance, and events like the Winter Classic in HD might bring more folks into the fold, who knows.

1.15 WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M
    2.46 TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington
    3.97c CB Philip Gaines, Rice
    4.118 ILB Shayne Skov, Stanford
    5.157 OT James Hurst, North Carolina
    5.173c RB Jerrick McKinnon, Georgia Southern
    6.192 CB Walt Aikens, Liberty
    6.215c DE Deandre Coleman, California
    7.230 NT Zack Kerr, Delaware

Legend

RB - for me part of the attraction of football is the break and strategy between each play...even in the no huddle there is some stoppage between plays.

I like that "tension" between plays.

I've tried watching hockey and I don't fully understand the game, which is probably part of why it doesn't hold my attention. And some of the rules (icing, offsides, two line pass) just don't seem to make sense to me.

Plus, other than intramural floor hockey, I never really played the game.

I've been watching and playing football all my life.

It's a football world...the other sports just live in it!

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    RB - for me part of the attraction of football is the break and strategy between each play...even in the no huddle there is some stoppage between plays.

I've tried watching hockey and I don't fully understand the game, which is probably part of why it doesn't hold my attention. And some of the rules (icing, offsides, two line pass) just don't seem to make sense to me.

I agree that football is the unquestioned #1. I think hockey is a solid #2, though. In my mind, it is much better than basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, tennis, NASCAR, etc. as a spectator sport.

While you may like the breaks in the action football provides, I am often amazed at how hockey players are able to cycle in and out seemlessly with no breaks in the action. How they are able to coordinate line changes on the fly like that always impressed me.

There is no such thing as a two line pass anymore, so there is one of those 3 confusing things out of the way.

Offsides just means that a player cannot enter his offensive zone before the puck does.

Icing just means that you can't just dump the puck out of your own zone from beyond center ice.

Not too tough to figure out if you sit through a few games (and it is best to learn the game by actually attending live games instead of watching on TV. Hockey arenas have a great atmosphere).

I just don't like hockey.

Maybe I'd watch if naked ladies played...but not the way it is now no matter the definition of the picture.
    I hear ya. I feel the same way about basketball. I wouldn't know who Lebron James
    was if he walked up and punched me in the face.

Agreed with Ruthless on all accounts. The atmosphere in a the arena is electric, and the
    action is no stop. It's just not made for television.

It seemed like hockey was at it's peak in the mid 90's then just disappeared. Most people
    complain that it's too hard to follow, that's why I was curious if HD will change all that
    and people will begin watching again.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts
    I hear ya. I feel the same way about basketball. I wouldn't know who Lebron James was if he walked up and punched me in the face.
    I bet you'd recognize him if we walked up and grabbed your junk, though.

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

I agree that football is the unquestioned #1. I think hockey is a solid #2, though. In my mind, it is much better than basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, tennis, NASCAR, etc. as a spectator sport.

While you may like the breaks in the action football provides, I am often amazed at how hockey players are able to cycle in and out seemlessly with no breaks in the action. How they are able to coordinate line changes on the fly like that always impressed me.

There is no such thing as a two line pass anymore, so there is one of those 3 confusing things out of the way.

Offsides just means that a player cannot enter his offensive zone before the puck does.

Icing just means that you can't just dump the puck out of your own zone from beyond center ice.

Not too tough to figure out if you sit through a few games (and it is best to learn the game by actually attending live games instead of watching on TV. Hockey arenas have a great atmosphere).
    RB - I didn't say I didn't know what some of the rules were...I said they didn't make sense to me!

And honestly, I'd watch baseball, basketball and golf before hockey.

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":18vdzhhq

RB - I didn't say I didn't know what some of the rules were...I said they didn't make sense to me!

And honestly, I'd watch baseball, basketball and golf before hockey.[/quote:18vdzhhq]

If I'm in need of a good afternoon nap, sports like baseball, basketball, and golf could always do the trick. I want a sport with a lot of action and hitting like football and hockey. To each his own...

Legend

[quote=RuthlessBurgher]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":89nyiv72

And honestly, I'd watch baseball, basketball and golf before hockey.
    If I'm in need of a good afternoon nap, sports like baseball, basketball, and golf could always do the trick. I want a sport with a lot of action and hitting like football and hockey. To each his own...[/quote:89nyiv72]

*sniff* Is this our first fight?