Thread: Unofficial Game Balls: Week 9

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Unofficial Game Balls: Week 9

This makes me sick to my stomach to type, but I have to do this:

OFFENSE:

Hines Ward - over 100 yards receiving

Honorable mention goes to Speath for doing well in place of an injured Miller.

DEFENSE:

Our secondary - despite weak LB play and missing B-Mac, they did a great job of covering.

D-line - for holding their rushing game.

Special teams - looked good. Not much else to say.

Lame balls: Ben Roethlisberger, the running game, and Santonio Holmes. Big Ben gets the nod for costing us the game with 2 INTs near our own red zone. This was easily winnable, and we blew it. If Ben continues to play like this, we're in trouble. As for our running game, there was no excuse for us doing so poorly.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Unofficial Game Balls: Week 9

Mewelde Moore = MVP on O.

Ben thinks, after meeting with Tomlin, he just needs to say he has to play better and it is just going to happen because he says it? Ben's shoulder may be hurt, but I think his head may be more messed up thse days. It's almost like it was when he came back from the motorcycle accident. I've been saying he looks more like Sage Rosenfels than the Big Ben we expect him to be.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OFFENSE

Hines: He bailed Ben's otherwise sorry @$$ out. 9 grabs for 116. That's nice. Too bad he couldn't have done more.

DEFENSE

Silverback: Led the team in tackles and got one of two sacks. I had to dig for him, but he did well enough, I guess.

SPECIAL TEAMS

GR: Gary, with a little more work, might make this team for keeps if he can improve in this role and the others that count as well.

Overall, I am reaching with ANY praise after this game. It's games like this that allow the Steeler Universe to question the heart of the team. It will also be a game like this that could cost them a run to the SB.

They are capable of getting there, but they had the ball last in two games with the chance to win against the Manning Brothers and they let their teams win...BOTH TIMES! That is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!!

The Steelers have a MUST WIN game against San Diego at home next week!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just don't understand how we couldn't run on the Colts. Their d-line is undersized and people have been running on them pretty well this year.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood
    I just don't understand how we couldn't run on the Colts. Their d-line is undersized and people have been running on them pretty well this year.
    I believe what no one is willing toadmit is that Willie Parker is a bit better than he's given credit for. While his yards per carry may have decreased some of the past few years having a back that you can hand the ball 20-25 times takes time off the clock and limits the opposition to offensive opportunities. There is much more to running the ball successfully than having a great YPC.

Parker had 71 yards on 20 carries last week, but, he forced the Skins to be honest about the Steelers running the football, Mewelde Moore simply doesn't force teams to be honest in defending the run. Like it or not, Parker is a much better back than Moore. The euphoria of his outstanding play for 4 weeks is beginning to rub off and the Steelers will find it increasingly more difficult to run the ball with Moore as the full time tailback.

I love him on third down, not every down.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pap, I think you are spot on here..... Moore has played well and he seems to play very hard but he just doesn't have the speed or the size to be the every down type of back. Hopefull FWP will be back soon. And perhaps Russell will develop a little more.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.