Thread: 56 vs 92

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

56 vs 92

I understand that many of us are rightfully enamored with the play of #56 LaMarr Woodley this year. He is a flat out stud with sky high potential for years to come. His number and likeness is plastered all over this forum. But i ask you, what of the seemingly forgotten one? #92 James Harrison

Statwise, these two are nearly equivalent bookends in a library of woe for opposing QBs. But is that the only parameter by which they can be compared? While 56 may have the edge in future potential, I believe 92 has the edge on intangibles. So let me do a little crowing about some of the past contributions of my favorite current Steeler...

Mr. Harrison looks as mean as any Steeler player since The Immortal One, Mr. Lambert.
    (and that includes Greg Lloyd)

Mr. Harrison made his name with stellar special teams play as he clawed his way on to the roster, then into a starting position.

Mr. Harrison made us forget about Joey Porter last year as he earned team MVP honors.

Mr. Harrison continued Steel Tradition when he body slammed that little Brownie fan as he fluttered about on the field a couple games back.

Mr. Harrison had his signature game last year on MNF when he beat the Ravens players down repeatedly in the best performance by an NFL defender Ive seen in many a season.

Mr. James Harrison carries the banner of intimidation for our defense game in and game out.

With all of that said, my question is why does #56 seem to be the favorite son at Planet Steelers?
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: 56 vs 92

I will wait for Asian Steel to answer, but for a preview take a look at his sig

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Hey man nice breakdown. Definitely not forgotten in my book. I've been a big supporter of Harrison back before he was a starter. I loved his effort on special teams and the rare times he would get in and wreak havoc. Him slammin that Stain fan gave me such pleasure.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    I understand that many of us are rightfully enamored with the play of #56 LaMarr Woodley this year. He is a flat out stud with sky high potential for years to come. His number and likeness is plastered all over this forum. But i ask you, what of the seemingly forgotten one? #92 James Harrison

Statwise, these two are nearly equivalent bookends in a library of woe for opposing QBs. But is that the only parameter by which they can be compared? While 56 may have the edge in future potential, I believe 92 has the edge on intangibles. So let me do a little crowing about some of the past contributions of my favorite current Steeler...

Mr. Harrison looks as mean as any Steeler player since The Immortal One, Mr. Lambert.
    (and that includes Greg Lloyd)

Mr. Harrison made his name with stellar special teams play as he clawed his way on to the roster, then into a starting position.

Mr. Harrison made us forget about Joey Porter last year as he earned team MVP honors.

Mr. Harrison continued Steel Tradition when he body slammed that little Brownie fan as he fluttered about on the field a couple games back.

Mr. Harrison had his signature game last year on MNF when he beat the Ravens players down repeatedly in the best performance by an NFL defender Ive seen in many a season.

Mr. James Harrison carries the banner of intimidation for our defense game in and game out.

With all of that said, my question is why does #56 seem to be the favorite son at Planet Steelers?
    Don't forget this play too, my brother:

[youtube:142bzeml]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QGAXPu0v8x4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QGAXPu0v8x4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:142bzeml]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They're two sides of the same coin. One thrives because of the other's play.... and vise versa. These two Titans co-exist and thrive because they spurn eachother's competitive spirit. It's them against the league, it is one against the other and both against their other LB team mates. It is this healthy competitive spirit that has brought forth the production and stellar play that has the NFL media focused on one area... the second teir of the Steeler #1 rated defense. I predict they finish one and two in the league after the regular season.

As for who the Planet is more enamored with... it is equal. I think DOS, you perceive the masses leaning more towards Woodley because last year we were singing the praises of Harrison, and now its Woodley's turn. IMO, they are equal and we are the direct recipients of this unbelievable tandem that I hope will be the most significant LB production in Steeler history.... and considering the history of the franchise at this particular position, that's a hefty compliment.

My prediction, we will break the sack team record and Harrison and Woodley will finish 1 and 2 in the league. Wouldn't it be great if both broke Strahan's record for a single season? I'd poop eggrolls if that were to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    My prediction, we will break the sack team record and Harrison and Woodley will finish 1 and 2 in the league. Wouldn't it be great if both broke Strahan's record for a single season? I'd poop eggrolls if that were to happen.
    AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Can you put THAT on youtube?

In honor of your post AS, I think we should dub them Ying and Yang! I have no doubt we will be breaking the Steeler record for sacks this season, on our way to the Super Bowl. What is the NFL record for team sacks in a season?

I feel much better that Harrison was not left out. I just missed it last year...Im only a rookie.

Ruthless, that play is SIC! Thanks for reminding me. I would love to put together a file of Harrison highlights.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Can you put THAT on youtube?

In honor of your post AS, I think we should dub them Ying and Yang! I have no doubt we will be breaking the Steeler record for sacks this season, on our way to the Super Bowl. What is the NFL record for team sacks in a season?

I feel much better that Harrison was not left out. I just missed it last year...Im only a rookie.

Ruthless, that play is SIC! Thanks for reminding me. I would love to put together a file of Harrison highlights.
    The NFL team record for sacks in a season is 72 by the Bears in '84.

The Steeler team record for sacks in a season is 55 in '94 and again in '01.

We have 32 at the halfway point and are therefore on pace for 64.

The individual record for sacks in a season is 22.5 by Michael Strahan in '01.

The individual record for sacks in a season by a Steeler is 15 by Mike Merriweather in '84.

James Harrison has 10 at the halfway point and is therefore on pace for 20.

The franchise record for sacks in a season by a linebacker duo is 24 by Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd in '94 and again by Jason Gildon and Joey Porter in '00.

James Harrison and LaMarr would have a combined 19.5 sacks at the halfway point and are therefore on pace for 39.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not to poop in everyone's cornflakes but I think Wood might miss tomorrow's game
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1
    Not to poop in everyone's cornflakes but I think Wood might miss tomorrow's game
    I pity the fool that poops in my cereal!

Legend

User Info Menu

I love em both
    but
    James is definitely nastier and seems to give 110% every play
    Me thinks the Wood man takes a play off every now and then