Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uhhh WTF? Tomlin talks up Leftwhich, disses ben?

Starter

Uhhh WTF? Tomlin talks up Leftwhich, disses ben?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ks-up-leftwich

TOMLIN TALKS UP LEFTWICH
    Posted by Mike Florio on November 5, 2008, 8:27 a.m. EST

Though it’s way too early to declare the onset of a quarterback controversy in Pittsburgh, coach Mike Tomlin has spoken glowingly as to Byron Leftwich regarding a certain aspect of the position about which, as to Roethlisberger, Tomlin has been grumbling.

“He probably did do a better job of getting the ball out, and, no, it did not surprise me,” Tomlin said regarding Leftwich, who replaced Roethlisberger at halftime of Monday night’s win against the Redskins. “That is one of the characteristics of Byron Leftwich. He got the ball out pretty good in Jacksonville and the different places he has been. That’s who he is. He is a quick decision-maker. He is an anticipatory thrower.”

Tomlin has said that Roethlisberger gets sacked so much because he holds the ball too long.

The second-year coach also admitted that Roethlisberger’s shoulder still hadn’t healed since he initially injured it during the Week One game against Houston.

“I’m sure his shoulder has affected him,” Tomlin said. “How much has it affected him, I do not know. It really is kind of irrelevant. We don’t look for or seek excuses. We don’t make them, whether we are talking about Ben or someone else or our team in general. Things like bumps and bruises and injuries are part of this game. When we deem people healthy enough to play, then their play speaks for itself. That’s how we approach it.”

The dilemma Tomlin surely faces is that the franchise opted in the offseason to make Big Ben “The Franchise,” giving him a $100 million-plus contract. So could Tomlin seriously be toying with the idea of sitting Ben and playing Leftwich?

Possibly. The fact that Roethlisberger is injured gives Tomlin all the cover he needs to pull a short-term switcheroo.

That said, let’s not get too excited about Leftwich’s performance. Most backup quarterbacks who enter a game due to injury have an advantage, because the opposing defense spent little or no time preparing to face the No. 2 man on the depth chart. If teams like this week’s opponent (the Colts) devote time to getting ready to face the slow-footed missile-launcher with a windup that loads slower than a catapult, the outcome could be far different.

And remember this — the Colts faced Leftwich multiple times from 2003 through 2006, during his tenure with the Jaguars. So Tony Dungy and company know more than a little about Byron. And in his final start against Indy two years ago, Leftwich’s passer rating was 47.8.

Though the stated uncertainty regarding Roethlisberger’s availability could be part of a ruse aimed at forcing the Colts to waste time preparing for both quarterbacks, Tomlin’s praise of Leftwich is at best an effort to get Ben to get rid of the ball faster, and at worst an indication that Tomlin is beginning to think that Ben might not be the long-term answer at the position that everyone presumes him to be.
    This is kinda weird, eh? Is it a motivational ploy? Whats going on?

Re: Uhhh WTF? Tomlin talks up Leftwhich, disses ben?

This is just a reporter's angle on a story and spinning snippets of an interview to suit his skew on the situation. Ben is our franchise QB coming off of a ProBowl season and has signed a mulit-100 million dollar contract. There is no QB controversy here. Ben is our guy, if he needs a much deserved rest, he'll get it because we have a very competent back up whose had starting experience. I like the move to play Lefty as much as possible without hurting our chances to win games. We need Ben down the stretch and without an ailing hand or shoulder. A healthy Ben is a very productive and dangerous Ben.... the leader of this team.

Legend

What controversy. He is right. Leftwich did get rid of the ball quicker than Ben. It is an area of Ben's game that needs to improve. Until it does Ben will never achieve the greatness he has the natural ability to achieve.

IMO and I've stated it before Ben dinking and dunking and relying on the talent we have to get yards after the catch would be unstoppable. It would also drastically reduce the number of sacks Ben absorbs and open the deep routes by drawing the sfeties closer to the LOS.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    This is just a reporter's angle on a story and spinning snippets of an interview to suit his skew on the situation. Ben is our franchise QB coming off of a ProBowl season and has signed a mulit-100 million dollar contract. There is no QB controversy here. Ben is our guy, if he needs a much deserved rest, he'll get it because we have a very competent back up whose had starting experience. I like the move to play Lefty as much as possible without hurting our chances to win games. We need Ben down the stretch and without an ailing hand or shoulder. A healthy Ben is a very productive and dangerous Ben.... the leader of this team.
    Agreed.

At the same time if Ben is healthy and this lights a fire under him to get rid of the ball a bit quicker, then good.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    What controversy. He is right. Leftwich did get rid of the ball quicker than Ben. It is an area of Ben's game that needs to improve. Until it does Ben will never achieve the greatness he has the natural ability to achieve.

IMO and I've stated it before Ben dinking and dunking and relying on the talent we have to get yards after the catch would be unstoppable. It would also drastically reduce the number of sacks Ben absorbs and open the deep routes by drawing the sfeties closer to the LOS.
    YUP. And maybe this was an intentional tactic by Tomlin to motivate Ben.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

I would be in favor of sitting Ben as least to start the game the next 2 weeks. I know this probably isn't the popular opinion but we need him healthy down the stretch.

And simply put, Ben is playing horrible. The OL is garbage but Ben is not helping himself or the team at this point by taking all these sacks. I agree with Tomlin, he is holding on to the ball way too long. I question whether he's just indecisivie, doesn't read coverages well, or is just trying to make a big play.

Last game, Ben had Moore WIDE open in the flat and instead kept his eyes downfield and ended up taking a sack. If this wasn't a problem all year then I'll give him a pass on this, but its not, he consitently doesn't "check down".

As much as I hate Brady, he does this so well. He has torched our defenses in the past because we would send the blitz and he'd punish us with slants, dump-offs to TE, and swing passes to the RB's. Is that such a tough concept to grasp? Well people are blitzing like that you CAN'T sit back there for 5 seconds. And since he doesn't punish these defenses for constant blitzing, they continue to do so and exploit our QB lack of decision making, and our O-line play. As much as our O-line stinks, Ben is not doing a whole lot better to help the situation.

Starter

Quote Originally Posted by jhansle1
    I would be in favor of sitting Ben as least to start the game the next 2 weeks. I know this probably isn't the popular opinion but we need him healthy down the stretch.

And simply put, Ben is playing horrible. The OL is garbage but Ben is not helping himself or the team at this point by taking all these sacks. I agree with Tomlin, he is holding on to the ball way too long. I question whether he's just indecisivie, doesn't read coverages well, or is just trying to make a big play.

Last game, Ben had Moore WIDE open in the flat and instead kept his eyes downfield and ended up taking a sack. If this wasn't a problem all year then I'll give him a pass on this, but its not, he consitently doesn't "check down".

As much as I hate Brady, he does this so well. He has torched our defenses in the past because we would send the blitz and he'd punish us with slants, dump-offs to TE, and swing passes to the RB's. Is that such a tough concept to grasp? Well people are blitzing like that you CAN'T sit back there for 5 seconds. And since he doesn't punish these defenses for constant blitzing, they continue to do so and exploit our QB lack of decision making, and our O-line play. As much as our O-line stinks, Ben is not doing a whole lot better to help the situation.

I read a thread somewhere (I can't keep the 17,000 forums straight in my head), that Ben might actually be more hurt than he's lead on. He's such a warrior that I can see this easily being the case. If it is true, he's not helping anyone by staying in there and playing horrible. He needs to rest.

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

YUP. And maybe this was an intentional tactic by Tomlin to motivate Ben.
    Have to agree. He is right. Maybe it was Tirico who said that maybe Ben should watch Byron to learn how to get the ball out quicker. Uhhh, if Ben (or Arians) need to watch Byron to figure this out - something that a lot of us have been saying for the last couple of years - we are in trouble.

So maybe it is a tactic by Tomlin. Or mabye he's just stating the obvious. I mean, didn't we see the same thing at the end of the Eagles game when Byron came in??

Tomlin made the comment before that Ben holds on to the ball longer than most, but he added to his statement "that's what makes him who he is, holding on to the ball too long allows him to make big plays." He didn't mean that as a negative then, and I don't see it as a negative now.

Legend

There was the one 3rd down play mentioned where MM was open in the flat and I was pissed about it, but I still feel if Ben has more check down opportunities he would take advantage.

From what I saw, the offensive pass play calling seemed to change when Lefty went in. I believe if Arians calls those same plays for Ben he is successful running them too.