Thread: Thoughts about Ben

Zigs

Thoughts about Ben

I, like most people, had the blame on the O-Line at the beginning of the year for the sacks. ...and this was probably the case for the first few games. Then as more games were played, my blame shifted more to Ben for not getting rid of the ball when he should/could have.

......but after watching last night's game, I think we really saw how hurt Ben has been over the last few games. I feel him playing hurt has been a large factor why he is holding on to the ball longer than he should. His deep balls have been shorter than usual. He is gun shy to launch the long ball as much as he used to because he knows his arm strength isn't there. This also would cause him not to throw some passes that he would normally throw because of not having the strength/accuracy that he normally possesses. Playing hurt can get in your head and cause you to hold back.

Ben is a top 3 quarterback when 100% healthy. Ben gives the Steelers the best chance to win a title, but not if he isn't 100% healthy (as we've seen the last few games.) The Steelers have a tough few weeks coming up, but with the defense playing lights-out, they should be able to weather the storm.

I am a huge Ben supporter, but he needs to sit the next few games out and get his shoulder healthy so the Steelers can make a run at the championship!

GO STEELERS!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Thoughts about Ben

As much as Id like to see Ben duel Peyton, this is probably the prudent path to follow. With Lefty having a reputation of a statue that needs to be carted downfield by his teamates, and a 'leaky' OL, are we close to seeing the first appearance of Dennis Dixon?
    Lets hope not, as this signal that we are at the end of the rope at QB. We have no one behind Dixon, although Ben could possible function as the emergency QB within a week or two. Lets see the results of the medical assessment and then judge whether or not we need to sign another QB! Or at least get one on the PS. Who is out there???
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is the starter, Brain is the capable back up. With that said, the Steelers will not win against the Colts if be plays like he has the last 5 quarters. The coaches need to really look at how his shoulder and thumb are doing.

This decision has to made today so Leftwhich can get a week of practice in with the starters if he indeed is going to start.

The defense can win this game if the O can just give them a little bit to work with. Better to get Ben healthy now!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It wouldn't surprise me if Ben needed to sit a week or 2 to heal. That doesn't mean he can't be an emergency 3rd QB so we don't have to sign another. If Dixon is then 2nd string, he could be available for more "gadget plays"....
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am a huge Ben supporter but he looked horrible for most of the Giant game and he looked horrible in this game. Against the Giants I think his protection was far above average but he seems to be having a hard time pulling the trigger.

While his protection wasn't great last night it also wasn't bad for the number of people the skins were sending in the blitz. Ben's first read seems to be off lately so even when he gets rid of the ball quickly it's to the wrong receiver. As an example, on the play where Ben threw to Holmes on the out and Carlos Rogers stepped in front and would have had a pic 6 if he had held the ball the replay showed Hines running completely free over the middle. Nobody was within 8 yards of him and it would have gone for big yards but Ben had committed to Holmes. Bad read.

I think Ben's problems are a combination of things. Earlier in the year when he was getting all that pressure and Arians was calling the stupid 5 and 7 step drops he developed a habit of always being under pressure when he threw. Now he seems to wait and at times wait some more until there is pressure before getting rid of the ball. This means that the entire rythm of the passing game is off. Between that and his obvious physical ailments turns what should be an excellent passing game into a poor passing game.

I am certainly not calling for Ben to be replaced but I think we need to rest him until he is healthy and hopefully then he will get back to the Ben we all know and love. Just in time for a magical SB run.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe a healthy Ben means a top 5 QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As Per PFT:

ROETHLISBERGER IS DAY TO DAY
    Posted by Michael David Smith on November 4, 2008, 10:59 a.m.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had to leave last night’s game against the Redskins, but the early indications are that he’ll be ready to go Sunday against the Colts.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that preliminary tests of Roethlisberger’s shoulder revealed he has a bruised AC joint, and he is expected to be day to day. Further testing will be done today and it’s still possible that a more serious injury to the shoulder will be discovered, but for now there does not appear to be any ligament damage.

This is the second time this season we’ve had reports on Roethlisberger’s AC joint. In September Roethlisberger gave a series of bizarre non-answers when asked about his shoulder, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin took umbrage with NBC reporting that Roethlisberger’s AC joint sprain constituted a shoulder separation. As it turned out, Roethlisberger himself was the source of NBC’s report that his shoulder was separated.

For now, though, indications are that Roethlisberger’s shoulder will be OK.
    [url]
    [url="http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/04/roethlisberger-is-day-to-day/"]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/ ... ay-to-day/[/url][/url]

I say if there is ANY chance that this can get worse by playing, we rest him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree. To be fair, Ben played better last night than his stats showed. I counted easily at least 5 dropped passes by our receivers, many of which could have given us first downs.

I predicted before the start of the game that it could be the case, because Washington has a very good secondary, and I was right. And it showed. Receivers weren't getting separation, dropped balls, and were getting molested throughout the entire first half. Only in the second half did they finally start to beat the coverage (which coincidentally was when Leftwich stepped in).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd sit him until after the thrusday night game against cincy. Lefty should be able to help us win two of three. We'd be 8-3 and he'd be feeling pretty good.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete
    I believe a healthy Ben means a top 5 QB.
    You sig line not only screams logic but is probably the same reason why Ben is as injured as he is. No huddle needs to be a staple in our offensive sets or you can just start carving Ben's tombstone.