Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ike to the Pro Bowl

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Ike to the Pro Bowl

The pressure we are getting on QBs this year helps also.
    _Not to take anything away from Ike though

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I love Ike (see user name) but playing in Bad Word LeBeau's defense doesn't make stars out of corners. They play too soft and are supposed to keep the play in front of them and really aren't allowed to be that aggressive going for the interception. Our LBs are the aggressive ones in the defense. Hence they make the splash plays. Our corners sit back and hopefully cherry pick the mistakes QBs make against us because of the pressure we put on the QB.

Bad Word made a great adjustment against the skins having the corners play closer to the line of scrimmage. The skins Cambell has been very accurate throwing mostly short stuff and our DBs and LBs just took that away from them in the game.

I think Ike would be a stand out star in another system, Philly's for example, where he could be physical and press the receiver. I think receivers would have a hard time getting off the line with Ike up tight on them and when they did he has excellent speed to stay with them.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Wow. I find this thread surprising given the mucho Ike bashing I've read in the last few years.

I also find it asurprising people still question Bad Word's cushion strategies given it prevents us from giving anything big oiver the top and that we have the no. 1 D (yes, I know those rankings are deceiving at times). I assure you we get beat by some long balls if we press at the los considering lebeau's intricate blitz packages. With Bad Word's cb cushion strategy, we give the 4-6 yard short passes and make the sure tackle. It can be frustrating but it has worked and even delivered us a super bowl.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85

Bad Word made a great adjustment against the skins having the corners play closer to the line of scrimmage.
    I'm sorry, I love that this site says "Bad Word" for LeBeau
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Wow. I find this thread surprising given the mucho Ike bashing I've read in the last few years.

I also find it asurprising people still question Bad Word's cushion strategies given it prevents us from giving anything big oiver the top and that we have the no. 1 D (yes, I know those rankings are deceiving at times). I assure you we get beat by some long balls if we press at the los considering lebeau's intricate blitz packages. With Bad Word's cb cushion strategy, we give the 4-6 yard short passes and make the sure tackle. It can be frustrating but it has worked and even delivered us a super bowl.
    MB,
    I never bash Ike. I love Ike. He is one of my fave Steelers. Very underrated.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

MGB ... I hope you didn't think I was questioning Bad Word's strategy. I certainly didn't mean to convey that. The man is a genius in my book. What I was trying to say is the corner will never be the star in his strategy. Neither would a safety except for someone as strong, fast, smart and versatile as Troy. I think Ike and B-Mac have the ability to be labeled stars if they were playing in another type of system ... not that I want us to play another type of system.

Bad Word is all about stopping the run and pressuring the QB. If we can pressure the QB consistently I think this team is just about unbeatable. Of course the opposite is also true ... we don't pressure the QB and we are very beatable. Our record with him as DC and that shiny lombardi in the trophy case speaks volumes for how well he has done.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Non only Ike.... but the whole secondary played lights out last night. Noteworthy stats:

WRs: Randle El, Moss, Thomas, and Thrash combined for a whopping 9 receptions for 55 yards.

When you shut down the number one leading rusher in the NFL (Portis) last night to a wimpy 51 yards, especially when he set an NFL record by recording 5 consecutive games with 120+ yards on the ground prior to that Monday night, you render the opposing offense to a one-dimensional passing game. And when you have corners that shut down the passing game and render all the wide outs to just 55 total yards..... Thats FUGGINSICK!

Major props to the D and much props to the secondary. We know week in and week out that our front 7 will dominate the line and contain the opposing team's running game, but to have the secondary step up and negate the only other offensive option left to them... that's just amazing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ike will get one against Manning after he gets his cleats off his hands.

Seriously though, to the point, he is playing some great ball and is a TALL shadow on most WRs.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wasn't implying anyone in this thraed or even here was trash talking Ike or B-Dub L-Beau (Bad Word), but y'all know the doom and gloomers that speweth on the trib board....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wasn't implying anyone in this thraed or even here was trash talking Ike or B-Dub L-Beau (Bad Word), but y'all know the doom and gloomers that speweth on the trib board....

Don't think anybody felt that way, mel. And I don't think we have doom and gloomers here on this board. This board has people in its ranks that are die hard fans that have very high levels of expectations set, and when those expectations aren't met they become very vocal about their displeasure. People need to take this into account if they feel certain individuals are being hyper-critical. We collectively are hyper-critical and collectively rabid... that's why we flood opposing team's stadiums and are the most notable fan base in sports history. Let's all just remember that when certain posters get upset.... remember where those feelings stem from.... the passion that is indicative of being a Steeler Fan.