Thread: Steelers/redskins game and politics?...

Starter

User Info Menu

Steelers/redskins game and politics?...

Umm, so I'm sure most of you have heard the superstition about
    the redskins winning their last home game before the election being
    a sign that the incumbent party in the White House will remain in power?

How are fellow Steeler fans who lean towards mccain feeling about
    tonight's game? Man, if you're superstitious, this has gotta be a
    bummer, eh?

For the record, I'm a registered Republican voting for Obama...

GO STEELERS!!!!!!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers/redskins game and politics?...

On October 31, 2004 the skins Lost to the Packers 28-14.
    GWB was re-elected.
    Disproving that stat.

I think that a Republican voting for Obama is cutting off his foot to spite his face. A really far left president with a Democratic congress will do terrible things to our free enterprise system.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Starter

User Info Menu

Glad to hear the superstition is unwarranted then! They made a big
    deal of it over the weekend on the news though.

As far as political opinions go, to each his or her own!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w...URES/NCFAN.jpg

"18 and D'OH!" ---headline on NFL.com 2/5/08

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    GWB was re-elected.
    Disproving that stat.

I think that a Republican voting for Obama is cutting off his foot to spite his face. A really far left president with a Democratic congress will do terrible things to our free enterprise system.
    Sir, I must assume that therefore you think that voting McCain in to do more of the same is the best option. I respect that opinion, though I don't quite understand the thinking behind it ...

Now, maybe you are saying that McCain won't run the same economic policies as Bush. For that to be true, either: 1) He wasn't quite being factual when, as recently as a few months ago, he said the Bush policies were just peachy - as a matter of fact, more deregulation was needed; or 2) He's not being truthful now when he says he will change economic policy from Bush's, he really wants tighter regulation of the Wall Street fatcats he was trying to deregulate a few months ago, or 3) He's not quite sure what he wants to do, but he's pretty darn sure he should be voted in to be the one to do it.

Any of those options don't make him a candidate to vote for in my opinion! And that doesn't even get into the grades he gets for "Presidential Judgement", choosing someone like Palin to take over when he keels over. Being a "hottie" no more makes one qualified to be prez than being a guy that "I'd like to have a beer with" (like GWB in 2000) does.

You bring up a good point that maybe divided government is best. Why don't you just vote for economic change (Obama) at the top of the ticket, and then see if you're incumbent congressman or Senator should be replaced?

Signed respectfully,

Independent voting for Obama, and hoping against hope that McCain and Palin don't get anywhere near the White House.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    GWB was re-elected.
    Disproving that stat.

Sir, I must assume that therefore you think that voting McCain in to do more of the same is the best option. I respect that opinion, though I don't quite understand the thinking behind it ...

Now, maybe you are saying that McCain won't run the same economic policies as Bush. For that to be true, either: 1) He wasn't quite being factual when, as recently as a few months ago, he said the Bush policies were just peachy - as a matter of fact, more deregulation was needed; or 2) He's not being truthful now when he says he will change economic policy from Bush's, he really wants tighter regulation of the Wall Street fatcats he was trying to deregulate a few months ago, or 3) He's not quite sure what he wants to do, but he's pretty darn sure he should be voted in to be the one to do it.

Any of those options don't make him a candidate to vote for in my opinion! And that doesn't even get into the grades he gets for "Presidential Judgement", choosing someone like Palin to take over when he keels over. Being a "hottie" no more makes one qualified to be prez than being a guy that "I'd like to have a beer with" (like GWB in 2000) does.

You bring up a good point that maybe divided government is best. Why don't you just vote for economic change (Obama) at the top of the ticket, and then see if you're incumbent congressman or Senator should be replaced?

Signed respectfully,

Independent voting for Obama, and hoping against hope that McCain and Palin don't get anywhere near the White House.
    Don't take my statement as an outright ENDORSEMENT of McCain. It is not. I am voting in this election (as I have in the recent past) for the lesser of evils.

It doesn't matter. Obama will win by a landslide.

And then we get to hear 4 years of LVG comparing Tomlin and Obama.

Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

GWB was re-elected.
    Disproving that stat.
    I've made the same point in another thread, but others have said that the Redskins election phenomenon is actually this:

Scenario A: If the Redskins win their last game before a Presidential election, then the party that won the popular vote in the last election will get the White House in this election.

Scenario B: If the Redskins lose their last game before a Presidential election, then the party that won the popular vote in the last election will not get the White House in this election.

Under this scenario, the phenomenon is still active in every election since the Redskins have been in Washington. The Green Bay win in 2004 with Bush keeping the White House would fall under Scenario B, and it works because the Democrats won the popular vote in 2000 (the Bush-Gore election) even though the Republican party ended up taking the White House that year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.