Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Tribune
NFL suspends Chiefs' Johnson for game
By The Associated Press
Saturday, November 1, 2008

NEW YORK -- Chiefs running back Larry Johnson was suspended for Week 10 of the NFL season by commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league's personal conduct policy.

Johnson already was deactivated the last two weeks by Kansas City and also won't play this Sunday against Tampa Bay. He will miss the Chiefs' game at San Diego next weekend under the NFL's suspension.

Johnson is not permitted on the team's premises until Nov. 10. The suspension will cost him about $147,000, or one game check.

"We respect the decision of commissioner Goodell," said Carl Peterson, president of the Kansas City Chiefs. "The NFL player conduct policy sets forth a set of standards that all NFL players, coaches and staff members must abide by. Upon the completion of his suspension we sincerely hope that Larry will be ready to return to the field for the Chiefs determined to make a positive contribution to our team and, with the assistance of the people around him, turn his life around."

Johnson was charged Monday with simple assault for spitting his drink in a woman's face Oct. 10.

Packers' Rodgers signs extension

The Green Bay Packers signed quarterback Aaron Rodgers to a contract extension through the 2014, rewarding the former first-round draft choice midway into his opening season as Brett Favre's replacement.

Details of the deal weren't disclosed by the NFL team on its Web site.

ESPN reported the extension is similar to the six-year, $67.5 million agreement that Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo signed last year.

Rodgers was drafted out of the University of California in 2005 and signed a five-year contract with a $230,000 base salary and $1.5 million signing bonus. His base salary is up to $680,000 this season and was due to rise to $800,000 in 2009, according to the NFL player's union.

Mora debunks rumors

Forget Jim Mora and the Washington Huskies.

The Seahawks' head coach in waiting said he is not interested in the coaching position at Washington, ending both his silence and rampant speculation.

"I am not a candidate for the University of Washington coaching vacancy," Mora said in a written statement handed out by a Seahawks spokesman on yesterday afternoon. "I wish the university well with their search and the program nothing but sustained success in the future."

Mora is a former Huskies linebacker who began his coaching career at the UW as a graduate assistant under Don James in 1984. He has already signed a contract to succeed Mike Holmgren as Seahawks coach beginning in 2009. The deal is believed to be worth almost $5 million annually.

Singletary gets point across

To drive his point home Sunday, new coach Mike Singletary decided he needed a visual aid. So during his fiery halftime speech, he dropped his pants. And then he pointed to his backside.

"I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us," Singletary said on 49ers.com. "I needed to do something to dramatize my point."

For the record, a team spokesman has clarified that Singletary was wearing boxers at the time.

"There were other ways I could have done it, but I think this got the message across," Singletary said in the statement. "I am excited about having the team back at practice on Monday so we can get back to work."

Around the league

Cowboys tight end Jason Witten still hasn't been ruled out of playing with a broken rib against the New York Giants, even after missing practice again yesterday. ... New York Jets linebacker David Harris, who leads the Jets with 52 tackles, was listed yesterday as doubtful for the team's game at Buffalo this weekend with a strained groin. Tight end Chris Baker (hip) is questionable. Wide receivers Laveranues Coles (thigh) and Jerricho Cotchery (shoulder) were limited for the third straight day, but are probable. ... Seahawks Pro Bowl defensive end Patrick Kerney is out indefinitely and getting a second look at what's wrong with his surgically repaired shoulder.

Copyright 2008 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.