Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Tribune
Smith getting back into form
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 1, 2008

Defensive end Aaron Smith said it took him some time to adjust to not practicing all week and then playing against the New York Giants. Smith played another strong game in the Steelers' 21-14 loss despite limited practice time. Given that he has practiced twice this week, he figures to be more prepared for Monday night's game against the Washington Redskins. "I would think so, but you never know," said Smith, who has missed time away from the team because of undisclosed personal reasons. "Maybe it will be harder. We'll see." Smith said it took him a little while to feel comfortable when he entered the Giants' game. "You do a lot of adjusting the first quarter," Smith said Friday. "After a while, you get in a groove. It just takes a little while to figure it out."

On Thursday, running back Willie Parker, who is recovering from a knee injury, said he probably wouldn't have been able to take the field against the Redskins if the game was played that day. So how did Parker feel following yesterday's practice? The knee, said Parker, who is listed as probable on the Steelers' injury report, "is getting better every day." If it were up to him, Parker said he would play Monday night. "It's not up to me," he said.

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley returned to practice after sitting out two days with a calf injury. Woodley, listed as probable, said he expects to start against the Redskins. "It feels good," Woodley said. "I didn't want to rush back and have a setback."

Safety Troy Polamalu (not injury related), guard Chris Kemoeatu (ankle), tackle Marvel Smith (back), safety Ryan Clark (shoulder), linebacker Keyaron Fox (hamstring) and cornerback Bryant McFadden (forearm) missed yesterday's practice. Polamalu and Kemoeatu are listed as probable. Clark, Fox, McFadden and Smith are out.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.