[url]http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/30/holmes-might-challenge-discipline/#comments[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by PFT
HOLMES MIGHT CHALLENGE DISCIPLINE
Posted by Mike Florio on October 30, 2008, 7:11 a.m. EDT

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes could be challenging the one-game paid suspension imposed by coach Mike Tomlin after Holmes was cited last Thursday with marijuana possession.

“After speaking with our attorney, we have had discussions with his agent Joel Segal regarding the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club,” Carl Francis of the NFLPA told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via e-mail on Wednesday.

The Steelers had not previously indicated that Holmes had been fined, and Tomlin wouldn’t confirm to the Post-Gazette that Holmes had been fined. Though Holmes received his game check for Sunday’s loss to the Giants, Chris Mortensen of ESPN pointed out on Sunday that Holmes has performance incentives in his contract, and that the one-game absence could prevent him from achieving them.

Holmes, who still has to play for Tomlin and the Steelers, wisely ducked the issue on Wednesday. “I can’t comment on that question,” Holmes said. “That’s almost a personal question on both sides, so I think I’ll leave that question unanswered.”

But Holmes thinks that he could have made a difference against the defending Super Bowl champs.

“I know I would . . . yes, but I wasn’t there to help the team,” Holmes said. “Having a young guy in with [Limas] Sweed filling in and not being on the same page with Ben [Roethlisberger], not having as many reps throughout practice and not having the experience being in that tough situation, I feel I could have made big progress with the team.”

Tomlin doesn’t seem to fear a possible grievance. “I’m not concerned about their view about whether we chose to activate him,” Tomlin said. ”We’ve got 53 men on the team. We choose to activate 45 for a particular game. That’s what we chose to do and we move forward.”

Right, but the move was clearly disciplinary in nature. Under the CBA, teams aren’t permitted to impose discipline for potential violations of the substance-abuse policy. Only the league is permitted to do that.
Man, this isn't a good thing at all. This could definitely signal the end of Santonio as a Steeler.