Thread: Holmes to possibly file grievance?

Starter

Holmes to possibly file grievance?

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...line/#comments

Quote Originally Posted by PFT
    HOLMES MIGHT CHALLENGE DISCIPLINE
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 30, 2008, 7:11 a.m. EDT

Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes could be challenging the one-game paid suspension imposed by coach Mike Tomlin after Holmes was cited last Thursday with marijuana possession.

“After speaking with our attorney, we have had discussions with his agent Joel Segal regarding the possibility of filing a grievance against the Steelers improper suspension and fine by the club,” Carl Francis of the NFLPA told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette via e-mail on Wednesday.

The Steelers had not previously indicated that Holmes had been fined, and Tomlin wouldn’t confirm to the Post-Gazette that Holmes had been fined. Though Holmes received his game check for Sunday’s loss to the Giants, Chris Mortensen of ESPN pointed out on Sunday that Holmes has performance incentives in his contract, and that the one-game absence could prevent him from achieving them.

Holmes, who still has to play for Tomlin and the Steelers, wisely ducked the issue on Wednesday. “I can’t comment on that question,” Holmes said. “That’s almost a personal question on both sides, so I think I’ll leave that question unanswered.”

But Holmes thinks that he could have made a difference against the defending Super Bowl champs.

“I know I would . . . yes, but I wasn’t there to help the team,” Holmes said. “Having a young guy in with [Limas] Sweed filling in and not being on the same page with Ben [Roethlisberger], not having as many reps throughout practice and not having the experience being in that tough situation, I feel I could have made big progress with the team.”

Tomlin doesn’t seem to fear a possible grievance. “I’m not concerned about their view about whether we chose to activate him,” Tomlin said. ”We’ve got 53 men on the team. We choose to activate 45 for a particular game. That’s what we chose to do and we move forward.”

Right, but the move was clearly disciplinary in nature. Under the CBA, teams aren’t permitted to impose discipline for potential violations of the substance-abuse policy. Only the league is permitted to do that.
    Man, this isn't a good thing at all. This could definitely signal the end of Santonio as a Steeler.

Re: Holmes to possibly file grievance?

If he wants to fly, then bye bye. If he were a physician or held a position with some corporation, being arrested for using and being in possession of marijuana would mean an automatic termination. But the rules for the average citizen doesn't apply to him. Let's create more of a distraction for the team because the coach is at fault for disciplining you. SELFISH, SELFISH, SELFISH.

Legend

This will go nowhere. Tomlin can activate whatever 45 players he wants. No player has a guarantee to be active.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

I wouldn't pin this on Holmes either, there was no word on a fine...this is probably his agent trying to show Holmes how good he his to him.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

At first, I brush this off as a policy thing, but I remember two things . . . Holmes' apology, and the fact that he later said this was all behind him and the team. Just cut the crap and play football.

I suspect this is coming from the lawyers who represent the NFL Players' Association, not Santonio, although of course it would be in his name.

Hall of Famer

If Holmes is caught up in the swirl of NFLPA do-gooders then I can see where he wouldnt want the distraction. If he has initiated it, then obviously, he has NOT learned his lesson. I think this situation bears monitoring to see how vehemently he supports this claim or does he just want to take his lumps, put it behind him, and play football. My opinion of him is dependant on his actions over the next few days or weeks.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Pro Bowler
    Lakewood, Ohio: On the Stairway TO SEVEN!!!

Sanantonio has a golden opportunity to revitalize his image over the coming weeks in some big games. I'll take his apology at his word and we'll move on.

The last thing he needs is static coming from the NFLPA. The union, no doubt, has initiated this, as this is what player's unions do in all pro sports. They are just there to stir the pot. The NFLPA couldn't care less about teams. They are there to pimp players.

I have heard nothing regarding Holmes involvement with the union on this issue, but would be disappointed in him if he initiated this because that would trump his apology right there.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Punch the agent and /or lawyer in the mouth. Ridiculous

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Blount's G
    Punch the agent and /or lawyer in the mouth. Ridiculous

The SOB still got paid last week. And if he got paid, so did his agent.