Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 21-20 and a conversion to go...

Legend

User Info Menu

21-20 and a conversion to go...

Two things:

What would you have done if you were the coach of the Steelers and you just scored to make the score 21-20? Go for two and the win in regulation? Try an extra point w/o your snapper and the fresh memory of Harrison's punt snap?

What do you think Tomlin would have done?

Me, I'd have gone for 2 and I believe Tomlin would have as well.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: 21-20 and a conversion to go...

Agreed.

motter1975

I agree 100%...I definitely would have gone for 2. Extra point was not a given by any stretch at that point, and even if we'd gotten the extra point, all that would have done was sent the game to OT, and I didn't feel at all confident that we could have scored in OT. Would definitely have gone for 2 and either won or lost the game right there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fake handoff over RG, Ben turns and rolls left..when he sees Heath Miller covered by the safety, he cuts outside of Ward's crackback and plows over the DB on his way to the end zone.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I would kick the PAT...

On a FG or a PAT, you could put in Stapleton or Hartwig...they wouldn't have to run down the field on punt coverage after snapping...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick
    I would kick the PAT...

On a FG or a PAT, you could put in Stapleton or Hartwig...they wouldn't have to run down the field on punt coverage after snapping...
    That assumes that they can snap for a hold. I would think that is even tougher that for a punt. You have to REALLY snap it back fast and have a much smaller spot to aim for.
    That being said, if they did have a DIFFERENT backup snapper for that whom they were REASONABLY confident in, then I would have tried for the extra point.

However, I doubt that is the case, so I would have gone for 2. (And I think Tomlin would have as well). I bet he gets asked this at the PC tomorrow and I will be curious as to his answer.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Knowing a bad snap was basically a guranteed safety the Steelers sent Harrison out to snap. Clearly they thought he was the best option or someone else would have been out there.

You absolutely have to go for the 2. At least you have a chance (no matter how small a percentage) to win the game, whereas another bad snap is an automatic loss.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost
    Knowing a bad snap was basically a guranteed safety the Steelers sent Harrison out to snap. Clearly they thought he was the best option or someone else would have been out there.

You absolutely have to go for the 2. At least you have a chance (no matter how small a percentage) to win the game, whereas another bad snap is an automatic loss.
    I wonder if Dennis Dixon can hold snaps? And would he be permitted to as the emergency, 3rd string QB. Because that would give us a lot of cool fake FG options (or in this case a option for making something happen even if a bad snap).
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yea, I think you still go for the extra point, despite our shortcomings due to injury. With the Giants front 7, a running play is pretty much out of the playbook, and the game is on the line. Even if things go wrong with a bad snap, it's still just an extra point. I would consider putting Ben back there to hold the snap, that way if the play breaks down due to a bad snap, you still have some chance at making a pass completion to salvage it.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Of course, with my scenario, Reed probably slips on the turf and kicks Ben in the right hand, breaking it, and sending him to the IR. That's the way things have been going this season.