Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perspective

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Perspective

The season is long and with the schedule stacked against us, it will be even longer. We all are aware that we were not going to come out of this season undefeated. Does it hurt that we lost at home in a game that we were winning? Absolutely.

Positives: Shutting down the league's number two rated offense. To shut down the most bruising RB in the league and letting him yield <50 yards. Our number one rated defense did their job and that's all we could of hoped for. We continue to make plays on both sides of the ball regardless of missing depth in all areas. We are still atop of our division and last I checked that's all we need and worry about to make it to the playoffs.

Negatives: More injuries compiled after last night loss. Poor play calling be the OC (we are all aware of BA's ineptitude). Long snap very costly. Continued 7 step drops being called when our line wasn't able to contain their rush. Ben's unfortunate but occasional malady of "stick hands" decided to flair up last night.

Ben does his best work from the shot gun and 3 step drops within the no-huddle. It not only helps his line and provides rhythm, which Ben really needs. I know he likes chucking the deep ball, but I truly believe he doesn't have the arm strength to keep up with the speedsters he has at WR. If you look at most of his long throws, the WR almost always has to come back to the ball, never does the ball make it in stride. Some of you may not agree, but it is fact, and if you doubt it, look at the throws 40 yards or greater, the ball has to have great heighth to make it to the receiver and this gives the DB time to adjst for the INT.

We have beaten quality teams, regardless of record. The Ravens, Browns and Jags are big bruising clubs and if you disagree, look at the teams they've beaten. We are a quality team, but a collective of miscues did us in last night. When we lose, our negatives are augmented and the fan base goes balistic, myself included. We of the The Nation, are not used to mediocrity and demand/expect great football, especially on our homefield. But we can't win them all and if we are to lose, I'll take solice in losing to the SuperBowl Champs, who apparently aren't having the typical SB hangover. We got beat, we need to focus on Washington. One game at a time, one win at a time.

BTW, I absolutely hate Bruce Arians. I think our chances of reaching the SB promise land is hampered by his inept ability to do his job. But this will not fix itself during the midseason. This should be addressed in the offseason. For the record, I think Tomlin is the right man for the job. Some may not agree, but when you look at what other rookie/sophomore coaches have done in their careers, we have a diamond in the rough. I know patience isn't high on our collective traits of Steeler Fans, but it will have to be. We have the talent and I truly believe we are one OC short of the SB. Can this be overcomed... I think so... but will it?

The season is long, let's have some faith.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Perspective

whats ryan clark's status? i know its a dislocated shoulder but how severe? he played awsome yesterday!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I look at it this way:

I am ticked-off when we lose BUT

I thought we fought valiantly against the defending SB Champs and a very good team.

I mean, I would be more apt to be all doom and gloom if we weren't in it, but we very well could have (and perhaps should have) won that game.

If it weren't for a freakish injury to the long snapper, we probably win.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1
    whats ryan clark's status? i know its a dislocated shoulder but how severe? he played awsome yesterday!!
    Don't know, Frank. But this is just yet another reason, why my faith in this team has not been shaken. Can anyone recall a season where we've had this many injuries to so many key players... and still have a winning record? As long as we stay competitive and get real hot in the end of the season, then I don't care how many games we lose. The modern Steeler era has never been about dominating opponents. The years we finished 15-1 or 13-3, we faultered in the AFCCG. We win bruising and we win close, that's just our team. This is when our team excells the most. 2005 is a shining example of this.

Rookie

User Info Menu

It's great to see some perspective from one of our own fans. To the national media it is obvious that we were beat mostly due to injuries. To listen to Steeler fans Ben stinks and Tomlin should be fired. After Tomlin's press conference last night I said to my husband "I love this guy". He might not have heard me since he was still fuming.
    Hopefully we will hang in there through the injuries, the AFC is there for the taking.

BTW, I am a steeler fan in Eagle country. Absolutely hate the Eagles but I have been a Phillies fan since age 8. (40 years). I'm interested in some Burgh perspective of the WS.

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO we will still finish 10-6 or 11-5. Did anyone realistically think we were only going to lose one game? We lost to the best team in the NFC and the defending SB champion by one late TD in a game that our QB threw 4 INTs, our best WR was benched and we got safety because of a botched snap.

Win the AFC North and that is all we need to do. Quit the b*tching, moaning and complaining.

It all starts fresh in the play offs-just win the North.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    IMO we will still finish 10-6 or 11-5. Did anyone realistically think we were only going to lose one game? We lost to the best team in the NFC and the defending SB champion by one late TD in a game that our QB threw 4 INTs, our best WR was benched and we got safety because of a botched snap.

Win the AFC North and that is all we need to do. Quit the b*tching, moaning and complaining.

I need one day to be pizzed, then I watch the game and move on. I'll be back to my normal self by Wednesday. Until then, F Everybody and stay the F out of my way...now, back to teaching 5th graders!
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerNation1

I need one day to be pizzed, then I watch the game and move on. I'll be back to my normal self by Wednesday. Until then, F Everybody and stay the F out of my way...now, back to teaching 5th graders!
    5th graders?

Do you yell in class a lot.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

5th graders?

No, but I'm guessing that a good portion of the moms in the greater Pittsburgh area are always requesting "Parent/Teacher" conferences.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene

5th graders?

We call days like today..."quiet days." It's kind of an understanding the kids and I have. They don't talk and I won't decapitate anyone. It works well.
    http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ion1/sn1-1.jpg http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...ns_44958-1.jpg
    South End Zone...Screaming My Head Off...Every Game! 111 consecutive and counting.