Thread: Why, tell me why...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Why, tell me why...

Why do the Steelers not use a 3 step drop more often? Just about every time we use it, it's successful. I don't get why our WRs have to run 15 yard routes that take forever to develop on EVERY down?

I wonder, does Ben really hold on to it too long? Or are the WRs not getting open? This is truly vexing... When you play a defense that can generate pressure on the QB (which is just about all 31 defenses in our case), then you need to get rid of the ball quickly. Some of that is on ben, and some of that is on the freaking play calling <sigh>

I'm getting sick of seeing the same limitations hamstring us.

That being said... this game came down to a bad snap... The defense kept us in it, and had the offense been able to manage ANYTHING in the 4th quarter, i feel like we would've won...

Backup

User Info Menu

Re: Why, tell me why...

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII
    Why do the Steelers not use a 3 step drop more often? Just about every time we use it, it's successful. I don't get why our WRs have to run 15 yard routes that take forever to develop on EVERY down?

I wonder, does Ben really hold on to it too long? Or are the WRs not getting open? This is truly vexing... When you play a defense that can generate pressure on the QB (which is just about all 31 defenses in our case), then you need to get rid of the ball quickly. Some of that is on ben, and some of that is on the freaking play calling <sigh>

I'm getting sick of seeing the same limitations hamstring us.

That being said... this game came down to a bad snap... The defense kept us in it, and had the offense been able to manage ANYTHING in the 4th quarter, i feel like we would've won...
    In the end, this one IMHO is squarely on our coaching staff.

Ben tends to hold the ball a bit long -- that's his mentality. Fine, we need to embrace it and work around it.
    Our OL is shaky and allows far too much pressure. Fine, we need to work around it.
    Our WRs aren't getting open downfield. Fine, we need to work around it.

I'm beginning to see a pattern.

The part that gets under my skin SO MUCH is that these problems CAN be minimized if we use our brains. Quick slants, 3 step drops... but we don't.

And what's even worse -- just like you said, a few simple corrections and I think we could have won.

This is an insanely talented team. We have a scary defense, the offensive pieces are in place... make a few adjustments and this team can beat anyone.

I blame Arians and his incredibly uninspired playcalling... and I blame Tomlin for not waking up and firing this loser.