Thread: Flash: Burress not starting today

Legend

User Info Menu

Flash: Burress not starting today

What a weird week!

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/sports/football/27burress.html[/url]

Burress Will Not Start Against Steelers

Published: October 26, 2008
    PITTSBURGH — Giants receiver Plaxico Burress will not start Sunday against the Steelers in a matchup of two 5-1 teams at Heinz Field, the Giants announced.
    Burress missed a therapy session on Saturday was being punished by the team. The decision by Coach Tom Coughlin was announced by a team spokesman and was the latest in a series of issues concerning Burress, who caught the game-winning pass in the Super Bowl against New England last season and signed a five-year, $35 million contract hours before the opening of the regular season in September.

Last week, Burress was fined $45,000 by the N.F.L. for arguing with an official about a pass interference call ($20,000), speaking negatively about the official after the game ($20,000) and throwing a football into the stands at Giants Stadium ($5,000) after scoring a touchdown during a victory over San Francisco.

Earlier this season, the team suspended Burress for one game and two weeks of practice for missing a team meeting. He was injured last week when tackled by the 49ers and missed two days of practice to treat a sore shoulder and neck. On one of those days, Burress went to a hospital for tests.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Flash: Burress not starting today

Wasn't there something where Plax went off on Tomlin verbally, and this was Coughlin's way of telling him who runs this team? Any 411 on that?

Legend

User Info Menu

It says he won't start but unless he's deactivated I think he'll still play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    Wasn't there something where Plax went off on Tomlin verbally, and this was Coughlin's way of telling him who runs this team? Any 411 on that?
    I think I actually saw that play, first he snapped at Manning, then at the coach.

If I'm reading the article above correctly, he is being punished because, even though he has a neck problem, he missed some physical therapy for it yesterday.

I feel sorry for Coughlin, it's a no win situation dealing with that guy. I'm so glad he's not on our squad.

Come to think of it, Coughlin (the old grizzled vet of a coach) and Tomlin (the opposite) seem to have a similar attitude about discipline and team responsibilities. I'm not as much of a Coughlin basher as some, especially since he showed enough inner strength to make that 180 degree change at the start of last season, so I consider that to mean Tomlin is in good company!

(Opposite of, say, Jerry Jones ...)

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel
    I think I actually saw that play, first he snapped at Manning, then at the coach.

If I'm reading the article above correctly, he is being punished because, even though he has a neck problem, he missed some physical therapy for it yesterday.

I feel sorry for Coughlin, it's a no win situation dealing with that guy. I'm so glad he's not on our squad.

Come to think of it, Coughlin (the old grizzled vet of a coach) and Tomlin (the opposite) seem to have a similar attitude about discipline and team responsibilities. I'm not as much of a Coughlin basher as some, especially since he showed enough inner strength to make that 180 degree change at the start of last season, so I consider that to mean Tomlin is in good company!

(Opposite of, say, Jerry Jones ...)
    Coughlin has always been noted for being a disciplinarian coach. Great for him and yes, I too feel bad for him. Is the talent really worth all this BS. The only thing that kept the veterans in the locker room from tearing his head off last year, because they were winning and marching through the playoffs. If they don't go deep into the playoffs, I would think the FO will finally see what this guy is about... himself.