Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell Advocates Expanding Regular Season

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Goodell Advocates Expanding Regular Season

Wow, I thought he was interested in player safety. As many major injuries that have happened this season already, why would adding more games at the end enhance safety?

And towards the bottom of this article, there are discussions about relegation (like in European Soccer leagues) where the worst three teams go to a lower division. Goodell says its not feasible, but dammit I wanna see that happen so people like Mike Brown might actually make an effort to put a good product out there for the fans.

[url]http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/10/goodell-advocates-expanding-regular-season/[/url]

Goodell Advocates Expanding Regular Season
    By MATTIAS KAREN, AP Sports Writer

LONDON (AP) An expanded regular season would improve the overall quality of the NFL and increase interest among fans, commissioner Roger Goodell said Friday.

The NFL discussed adding one or two more games to the regular-season schedule at its owners meeting this month, but no decision was made and no change is expected for 2009.

In the long term, however, Goodell said it made sense to shorten the preseason schedule in favor of more competitive games.

“We think that’s better content, it’s higher quality,” Goodell said. “That’s what our partners, our fans are going to demand.”

Goodell was speaking at a conference on the globalization of sports in London, held in conjunction with Sunday’s game between the San Diego Chargers and New Orleans Saints at Wembley Stadium. He said the league is still working out the details of a possible expansion, and that any deal would have to be negotiated with media partners and the players’ union.

“But from a quality standpoint, we believe it’s one alternative to improve the quality of our game,” he said, adding that the long preseason has little entertainment value for fans. “It’s clear that our four preseason games are not high-quality content. They’re just not at the same level our regular-season games are. They don’t have the consequences.”

Goodell spoke during a panel discussion with Richard Scudamore, the chief executive of the English Premier League. When asked by moderator Jim Nantz of CBS, Goodell said the NFL had looked briefly at the possibility of copying the model of European football leagues - where the bottom teams get relegated to a lower league every year - but rejected it as unfeasible.

“It is a fascinating concept, and we’ve actually talked about it a great deal,” he said. “Relegation is something that has created a great deal of interest. But it would be counter to everything we do now.”
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Goodell Advocates Expanding Regular Season

He's going to fine players like Hines Ward for doing nothing more than playing football
    in order to keep the players healthy enough to finish an 18 game season.

I'd rather see 16 games of football than an 18 game inferior product.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Most teams can't keep their players healthy for 16 games. To expand the season they would need to seriously revamp the rules on roster sizes, practice squads and IR.

Rosters would probably hve to grow to about 60 players from the current 53

Practice squads would need to be bigger and they should have to categories of players--one for development that are protected and others that can be signed away

The IR would have to be modified so you don't lose a player for a whole season since the seasons will be longer.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

one more reason to kick this turd to the curb.

terrible pick by the NFL.

Chemsteel

This thought has been orignated by the new owners with large debt, aka; Dan Snyder, Jerry Jones, Bob Kraft, etc.

It all has to do with more money for regular season games. The owners get a lot more money from fan attendence for parking, tickets, concessions, etc. This is not to mention the extra dollars for national advertising vs. pre-season games. All coaches and players will admit that they need pre season games to get in shape and practice new assignments.

Legend

User Info Menu

Of course he's an advocate, MO MONEY, MO MONEY!
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

It will just dilute the product, rosters will have to be expanded which means more players in the NFL that don't really belong there. They would be better off reducing the number of games back to 14 and maybe contracting the league by two teams.

No team is able to keep players healthy now playing 16 games what do they think will happen if you add to more high intensity, high impact games to the schedule? Less injuries? Yea, right.

We need a "Goodell Sucks and is an idiot" smiley or two smileys one that says "Goodell Sucks" and the other says "Goodell is an Idiot".

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

All about greed. Owners do not want to lose money by cutting back on an inferior product with the preseason games. The more games, the more likey the Tom Bradys of the world end up on IR. As a fan, I dislike the idea. I dislike the idea of playing regular season games in other countries. I dislike the idea of having a franchise in London or Europe. Maybe Canada or Mexico would be ok. I dislike the idea of expanding the league beyound 32 teams. There are not enough quality players (especially QBs) to go around now. Goodell seems to see himself as a visionary on the Pete Roselle level. Have to wonder if any of his ideas will be successful in long run. Will his tough policies on players clean up the game or bring down the NFL? Players are always going to find any advantage they can. They always have. There is to much money at stake. So many things to question about Goodell. At first I was indifferent to Goodell. Now, I do not like the direction he is taking the league.

Legend

User Info Menu

This supports the notion that all the recent fines have been about $$$...nothing more...nothing less. A longer season would be tragic.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    All about greed. Owners do not want to lose money by cutting back on an inferior product with the preseason games. The more games, the more likey the Tom Bradys of the world end up on IR. As a fan, I dislike the idea. I dislike the idea of playing regular season games in other countries. I dislike the idea of having a franchise in London or Europe. Maybe Canada or Mexico would be ok. I dislike the idea of expanding the league beyound 32 teams. There are not enough quality players (especially QBs) to go around now. Goodell seems to see himself as a visionary on the Pete Roselle level. Have to wonder if any of his ideas will be successful in long run. Will his tough policies on players clean up the game or bring down the NFL? Players are always going to find any advantage they can. They always have. There is to much money at stake. So many things to question about Goodell. At first I was indifferent to Goodell. Now, I do not like the direction he is taking the league.
    I'm with you 100% with this post (of course, a paragraph and a deep breath would have been nice. ) The only thing I differ with you on is that I haven't liked Goodell from the jump and now he's just turning the NFL into a cluster f**k.

The quarterback situation is huge. Look at some of the starting quarterbacks in this league right now; Tyler Thigpen, Jon Kitna, Derek Anderson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, JT O'sullivan, Kyle Orton and I'm sure there are more. These are backups playing as starters. Adding more teams is a real good idea maybe Vinny Testaverde can come out of retirement again.

Papillon

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount