Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodell Advocates Expanding Regular Season

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Goodell Advocates Expanding Regular Season

Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL
    All about greed. Owners do not want to lose money by cutting back on an inferior product with the preseason games. The more games, the more likey the Tom Bradys of the world end up on IR. As a fan, I dislike the idea. I dislike the idea of playing regular season games in other countries. I dislike the idea of having a franchise in London or Europe. Maybe Canada or Mexico would be ok. I dislike the idea of expanding the league beyound 32 teams. There are not enough quality players (especially QBs) to go around now. Goodell seems to see himself as a visionary on the Pete Roselle level. Have to wonder if any of his ideas will be successful in long run. Will his tough policies on players clean up the game or bring down the NFL? Players are always going to find any advantage they can. They always have. There is to much money at stake. So many things to question about Goodell. At first I was indifferent to Goodell. Now, I do not like the direction he is taking the league.
    I'm with you 100% with this post (of course, a paragraph and a deep breath would have been nice. ) The only thing I differ with you on is that I haven't liked Goodell from the jump and now he's just turning the NFL into a cluster f**k.

The quarterback situation is huge. Look at some of the starting quarterbacks in this league right now; Tyler Thigpen, Jon Kitna, Derek Anderson, Ryan Fitzpatrick, JT O'sullivan, Kyle Orton and I'm sure there are more. These are backups playing as starters. Adding more teams is a real good idea maybe Vinny Testaverde can come out of retirement again.

Papillon
    Actually, Kitna is on I.R. and his backup, Dan Orlovsky, is now starting. It ain't a pretty picture out there, I tell ya.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I just don't see how they can extend the season any more without seriously compromising player's health or greatly expanding the rosters (thereby diluting the talent pool)
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'd be happy if they cut it back to 14 games again actually. Though I like having the Steelers play, it's better, IMO, to give the fans less quantity and more quality. If I wanted quantity I'd watch basketball or something.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I'd be happy if they cut it back to 14 games again actually. Though I like having the Steelers play, it's better, IMO, to give the fans less quantity and more quality. If I wanted quantity I'd watch basketball or something.

That is what is so great about the NFL. It leaves the NFL fan wanting more. We don't need anymore games!!! Players are beat up enough as they are after 16 games. Adding 2 more games could pontentially diminish the on field product of the NFL playoffs from and injury and fatigue standpoint.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[/quote]That is what is so great about the NFL. It leaves the NFL fan wanting more. We don't need anymore games!!! Players are beat up enough as they are after 16 games. Adding 2 more games could pontentially diminish the on field product of the NFL playoffs from and injury and fatigue standpoint.[/quote]

It's like anything valuable: High Quality + Rarity= Valuable

You know, like a Ferrari or Piccasso or something. The NFL has become the pre-eminent team sport in the US because of both quality and the fact that your favorite team isn't playing 5 times a week- it's more of an event. They have a great balance right now and I would hate to lose that just so that they have a couple more games a year.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

That is what is so great about the NFL. It leaves the NFL fan wanting more. We don't need anymore games!!! Players are beat up enough as they are after 16 games. Adding 2 more games could pontentially diminish the on field product of the NFL playoffs from and injury and fatigue standpoint.[/quote]

It's like anything valuable: High Quality + Rarity= Valuable

You know, like a Ferrari or Piccasso or something. The NFL has become the pre-eminent team sport in the US because of both quality and the fact that your favorite team isn't playing 5 times a week- it's more of an event. They have a great balance right now and I would hate to lose that just so that they have a couple more games a year.[/quote]

Exactly! I don't know how die-hard baseball fans of a particular team does it. I don't have the time or the liver to watch my team 5 times a week.