Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Santonio found with weed

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Santonio found with weed

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    My guess is that his days as a Steeler are numbered.

Whatever our individual opinions are about reefer, it is still an illegal substance for the most part. It's REALLY illegal when you are found with it behind the wheel of an automobile. It's one thing for any of us to be involved with drugs. But Holmes has to be smarter than this. What he did was really f---ing stupid based on who he is and what he does for a living.

I don't know if he was actually under the influence, but this is not a good thing for Holmes. He is already inactive for the Giants game and probably longer. And it serves him right. If it was up to me, that four game suspension for violating the drug policy would be fully enforced.

Knowing the track record for the Steelers in cases like this, he will probably not be renewed when his contract is up. The Rooneys don't deal well with reeferheads.

I'm with you on all points brought up.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You guys are being absolutely ridiculous. Yeah, the guy screwed up. But in all reality it is the first time he has sniffed trouble since the day he first stepped on the field for us. It's not like Holmes has been any type of locker room cancer or keeps getting in trouble with the law. If any of you think that we'd balk at re-signing him, then you need to join Sanstonio in putting down the pipe.

If that same question was posed to anyone on this board back in September you all would have laughed your asses off and called the person asking it a blithering idiot.

So has Holmes really dropped that far in your collective minds? Is it also a product of him not blowing up on the field like we all anticipated? Is it because you assume to know how the Rooney's feel about marijuana?

If he gets in some type of trouble again, then some of you may have a point, otherwise I think you are waaaaay off base here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So far as I know, Santonio is NOT a locker room cancer. He is a very good and talented player that contributes as much as he can- when he see's the field, that is. His stupidity has cost him the ability to contribute on the field or in the locker room.

I'm not saying we don't resign him or anything. That has yet to be determined by a lot of factors. This kind of thing goes in the "file" so to speak though when contract talks start.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ya'll make it sound like we never re-signed a player who smoked a joint before.
    Marvel smith got busted in college then he got busted in 2000 while with the steelers.
    santonio isn't going to get traded, lowballed or run out of town.

Backup

User Info Menu

While I don't expect Holmes to be run out of town, it does show his selfishness.
    He who forgets, will be destined to remember.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't think anybody is stating that Santonio is a cancer in the locker room. I think most are disappointed. But isn't this his secondary offense with such a "green" issue and if so, isn't the track record by the FO for such infractions, not a positive one for the player. My take:

Weed is illegal and I know quite a few professionals (lawyers, architects, accountants, physicians) that recreationally use. I don't judge other individuals. I've had my time in the sun with it and after college it wasn't for me anymore. My only judgement in this particular case is the forethought that Santonio used by smoking in public and getting behind the wheel. That act in itself is not only selfish but dangerous towards the safety of others.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

So instead of Bust-onio, we should now be calling him BustED-onio?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I realize what he did was wrong. If he does this again, then I will be more upset. This occurance on top of what happend right after he was drafted w/his baby's mama & what happend a few years ago in Miami is disappointing.

I think if something like this happens again, he may be gone. I don't think he'll necessarly get cut on the spot, but I can see him not having another contract offered to him when the time comes.

If he does get suspended by the league for a game, I hope it's Week 17 against the Stains once we have home field advantage wrapped up.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I know where you guys are coming from saying that guys like me are overreacting. Perhaps I would be in certain situations.

But this is a player in the National Football League we're talking about, not some average joe who punches a time clock, works his forty and gets paid every two weeks. This is a guy in Holmes who gets paid an insane amount of $$$ and attention for playing what amounts to be a kids game. Quite frankly, Holmes needs to be held to the high standard that all professional athletes should be held to.

The standard should be higher because the stakes are. There is a $hitload of jack coursing through the veins of the NFL in terms of corporate sponsorship, merchandising, luxury suites, PSLs, etc. Those people don't want to deal with someone who flaunts the law and gets busted with blunts.

Trust me, as a personal issue, I think the logic against marijuana is completely misguided from an ethical, legal and moral standpoint. But it isn't for me to say that the law should cut him a break because the rules are clear: possession of marijuana in certain quantities and in certain situations is not legal. And the NFL sides very much with the law in circumstances such as these.

That being the case, then Holmes needs to be set an example of because what he did in the position he is in is not appropriate behavior. Lots of people look at him as a highly trained athlete who is living a clean life. What he was caught doing compromises that perception and leaves the league and the Steelers an image problem.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!