Thread: As if THIS is a surprise...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As if THIS is a surprise...

Pittsburgh's O-line currently ranks dead-last in the offensive hog index.

[url]http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_1024_Offensive_Hog_Index_through_Week_4.html[/url]

30th in rushing yards per attempt, 31st in negative pass play percentage, and 27th in third down conversions.

They will have to do waaaay better than that if we want to beat Jacksonville or any team left on our schedule. Yes, I think they will get better. But if Tomlin and Co. think they can afford to ignore the O-line any longer, this team is in for some real trouble.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: As if THIS is a surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch

[url]http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/2_1024_Offensive_Hog_Index_through_Week_4.html[/url]

30th in rushing yards per attempt, 31th in negative pass play percentage, and 27th in third down conversions.

They will have to do waaaay better than that if we want to beat Jacksonville or any team left on our schedule. Yes, I think they will get better. But if Tomlin and Co. think they can afford to ignore the O-line any longer, this team is in for some real trouble.
    Well! That was as invigorating as standing outside at 20 degrees and having a bucket of ice water dumped over your head.

You think of the hallmark of the Steelers being tough, physical, no-nonsense, crush-your-teeth-in football. That isn't what's happening now. The Steelers have plenty of tools, but no power to operate them.

I'm already on record that the Steelers need to consider using as much as half of the upcoming draft on the OL, as well as signing a couple FAs and franchising Marvel. I mean, I don't think all of those things will happen, but a good cross section should happen.

On top of addressing the OL, the Steelers also will need some new blood on the pass rush.

But more than getting new blood, Colbert and the rest of his Brain Fart Trust need to start selecting players past the first two rounds that actually have talent enough to make an impact early in their careers. Really, aside from Kemo, Willie Gay and Ike, there aren't many Steelers who were actually drafted on the second day that have made an impact early on. That needs to change with the present group in the FO or Dan and Art II need to find someone who can.
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch

30th in rushing yards per attempt, 31th in negative pass play percentage, and 27th in third down conversions.

Well! That was as invigorating as standing outside at 20 degrees and having a bucket of ice water dumped over your head.

You think of the hallmark of the Steelers being tough, physical, no-nonsense, crush-your-teeth-in football. That isn't what's happening now. The Steelers have plenty of tools, but no power to operate them.

I'm already on record that the Steelers need to consider using as much as half of the upcoming draft on the OL, as well as signing a couple FAs and franchising Marvel. I mean, I don't think all of those things will happen, but a good cross section should happen.

On top of addressing the OL, the Steelers also will need some new blood on the pass rush.

But more than getting new blood, Colbert and the rest of his Brain Fart Trust need to start selecting players past the first two rounds that actually have talent enough to make an impact early in their careers. Really, aside from Kemo, Willie Gay and Ike, there aren't many Steelers who were actually drafted on the second day that have made an impact early on. That needs to change with the present group in the FO or Dan and Art II need to find someone who can.
    Our pass rush is pretty good and probably set for a few years...I think you mean the big uglies to keep the O line off our pass rushers, right?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Our pass rush is pretty good and probably set for a few years...I think you mean the big uglies to keep the O line off our pass rushers, right?
    Maybe just for depth, D. I like the starters as presently constituted, but all of them have at least a little injury history and the backup guys leave a lot to be desired. Hoke and Kirschke are doing what they can and that's all you can ask. But I like the idea of bringing in a couple new DLers that would push them for spots on the roster. I also like the idea of grabbing one high in the draft. A player like Moala from USC would be a great get for the Steelers.
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Maybe just for depth, D. I like the starters as presently constituted, but all of them have at least a little injury history and the backup guys leave a lot to be desired. Hoke and Kirschke are doing what they can and that's all you can ask. But I like the idea of bringing in a couple new DLers that would push them for spots on the roster. I also like the idea of grabbing one high in the draft. A player like Moala from USC would be a great get for the Steelers.
    That's what I was gettin' at! In the 3-4 the backers are the primary pass rushers and the DL is supposed to keep them clean! If a DL gets pressure or a sack it's icing on the cake!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[quote=stlrz d]
    Quote Originally Posted by "stlrz d":3phzrsa7
    That's what I was gettin' at! In the 3-4 the backers are the primary pass rushers and the DL is supposed to keep them clean! If a DL gets pressure or a sack it's icing on the cake![/quote:3phzrsa7]

That's especially true from the DT. I like what I've seen from Moala. He handles one-on-one assignments very well and is efficient clogging the middle. But chances are that he would probably be gone by the time the Steelers pick anyway.

I think the Steelers could use a guy to push Hoke higher in the draft. I don't know if it is an absolute must to draft a DT high. It may materialize that the CB pick might eventually take higher priority. But I like the idea of getting a DT or DE to control the LOS and give the LBs and DBs a better chance to do their job.
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!