Thread: Can we please throw to the TE on Sunday

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we please throw to the TE on Sunday

Got this off SteelCityInsider and an interview they did with Charlie Bernstein of JagNation.com

Q: The Jags seem to have a problem covering TE's. Do you see a big night for Heath Miller?

A: I can't remember any time in the team's history where they were able to cover good or even average tight ends. Heath Miller is a major mismatch as he can beat any of the Jaguars linebackers or safeties. I can easily see 100+ yards from Miller including one or two trips in the end zone.

Please, please throw the ball to Miller and Spaeth to open up the deep patterns versus looking deep first. Ben has the ability to audible to a throw to the TE at anytime. He has to do it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Re: Can we please throw to the TE on Sunday

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Got this off SteelCityInsider and an interview they did with Charlie Bernstein of JagNation.com

Q: The Jags seem to have a problem covering TE's. Do you see a big night for Heath Miller?

A: I can't remember any time in the team's history where they were able to cover good or even average tight ends. Heath Miller is a major mismatch as he can beat any of the Jaguars linebackers or safeties. I can easily see 100+ yards from Miller including one or two trips in the end zone.

Please, please throw the ball to Miller and Spaeth to open up the deep patterns versus looking deep first. Ben has the ability to audible to a throw to the TE at anytime. He has to do it.

Are you kidding? Throw to talented targets, who can run great short routes, stretch th defense, while simultaneously helping relieve some pressure off of our battered QB? My friend you are living on Fantasy Island and Bruce Arians is ReTardo Montalban.

Starter

User Info Menu

i have a theory on why heath doesn't get more passes thrown to him...

we all know, whether by design or necessity, ben loves to hold onto the ball- trying to make plays down field.

in doing so, he draws the receivers and coverage to whatever side (usually his right) he rolls to-

Miller, almost always being in the middle of the field (and likely 10-15 yards down) is always going to be covered-

what is the old adage- you never want to throw late - in the middle -

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by asiansteel

Are you kidding? Throw to talented targets, who can run great short routes, stretch th defense, while simultaneously helping relieve some pressure off of our battered QB? My friend you are living on Fantasy Island and Bruce Arians is ReTardo Montalban.

LOL! I just got caught laughing at work. Oh well, its Friday

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with Oviedo -- I'd like to see Heath involved early. Even more so if the Jags are as bad defending the TE as reported to be by the guy from jagnation.

The pass protection problems make it a bit tougher to send Miller into the pattern consistently, but hopefully a few early quick passes to the TE might cure some of that and help the offense to find a rhythm.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    I agree with Oviedo -- I'd like to see Heath involved early. Even more so if the Jags are as bad defending the TE as reported to be by the guy from jagnation.

The pass protection problems make it a bit tougher to send Miller into the pattern consistently, but hopefully a few early quick passes to the TE might cure some of that and help the offense to find a rhythm.
    With our RB injuries go 3 TEs with McHugh lining up in the backfield to block or go into motion. Force the Jags to cover Hines and Santonio and guess what Miller, Spaeth and McHugh are going to do. Stay and block or release into a pattern. The Jag LB and DBs are not good enough to cover that mix of players. Big overmatch in our favor.

This is exactly the reason I wanted to draft Owen Schmitt. Imagine if we had him instead of McHugh in the backfield.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq

I think that if we establish Moore as a legit passing threat out of the backfield, it will take one more man out of the box and possibly free up Heath for yet another quick option for Ben. Heath is such unheralded talent. The guy has greater skills than someone like Heap or Shockey.... but unfortunately, he's spent his career helping bolster an OL that has under protected the QB.

BigBen2112

Not with Arians...but he's a good OC and is not the problem.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The last two times Miller faced the Jaguars he scored a touchdown in each. He caught a total of 10 passes for 109 yards. This year's the Jags have one of the league's poorer defenses against the pass so many we can see an increase in production from Miller.