Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As of Now: Best draft picks for the Steelers '09

BigBen2112

As of Now: Best draft picks for the Steelers '09

Very early, but looking ahead to the draft there is a huge need for the Steelers to beef up on both lines and here are the best seniors at the positions of need for the Steelers thus far in the season:

OL:
    -Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
    -Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia--good pass blocker
    -Alex Mack, OC, Cal----might actually be the best lineman in the whole draft
    -Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma--he was linked to the Steelers early last year before he returned to school
    -Johnathan Luigs, OT/OC, Arkansas
    -Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
    -Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
    -Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
    -Xavier Fulton, OT, Illinois

And those above are SENIORS alone. There will be some good/decent non-senior players come out as well of course. The chances are pretty good that we could get a good OL in the 1/2 round I do believe. Remember Eric Wood OC from Louisville would be another good OL in the 3/4 round range.

DL:
    -Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    -Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
    -Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    -Terrence Taylor, DT, Michigan
    -B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
    -Pannel Egboh, DE, Stanford
    -Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin
    -Fili Moala, DT, USC
    -Evander Hood, DT/DE, Missouri

I also really like "Mount" Cody from Alabama. The dude is like 6'6" 395lbs and MOVES the line. He'd be a great addition to our DL as well.

The way the draft would be cool if it went down:
    1. Duke Robinson-will move to OT
    2. Pannel Egboh-DE for us
    3. "Mount" Terrence Cody- DT
    3. Eric Wood- OC/OG
    4. Curtis Taylor- S

I'd also like to get a FB and another OL...and maybe an ILB.

Hall of Famer

Re: As of Now: Best draft picks for the Steelers '09

Why would you draft Robinson and move him to tackle rather than a pure OT? We are going to need him to play probably,right away.

I would be concerned about him making both the transition to NFL AND a position change at once ... unless it is coupled with signing a stopgap OT for a year or so.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene
    Why would you draft Robinson and move him to tackle rather than a pure OT? We are going to need him to play probably,right away.

I would be concerned about him making both the transition to NFL AND a position change at once ... unless it is coupled with signing a stopgap OT for a year or so.
    Branden Albert?

Legend

Round 1: DL, hopefully Moala
    Round 2: OL/C, Alex Mack?
    Round 3: CB to replace McFadeen who is unlikely to be here
    Round 3 Comp (for Faneca): DL
    Round 4: OL

After that best players available
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Franchise Marvel in '09. There's your stopgap. Unlike transitioning Max in '08, Marvel would be worth the money for a one year franchise deal until the rook was ready to start in 2010. The team would likely be wary of signing Marvel long term with a big bonus due to his age and injury history, so franchising him may be the way to go. It does not seem like he would be the pouting type like Faneca was.

Hall of Famer

why dont you think mcfadden will be re-signed? i would think they would have a lot of room under the cap next year

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher

Franchise Marvel in '09. There's your stopgap. Unlike transitioning Max in '08, Marvel would be worth the money for a one year franchise deal until the rook was ready to start in 2010. The team would likely be wary of signing Marvel long term with a big bonus due to his age and injury history, so franchising him may be the way to go. It does not seem like he would be the pouting type like Faneca was.
    Absolutley agree with tagging either Smith or Kemo. I hope they sign Kemo and tag Smith. That locks down the left side for 2009. It gives Hills another year to develop and it lets you bring in two young players for the right side, preferably RT & Center, and you still have Hartwig, Colon and Simmons so they have time to develop or push those veterans out. It does not make any sense to try to add more than 2-3 linemen in a single off season cycle because IMO it is too disruptive.

I would also look to add 2 on the DL and I would make sure that one of them is Hampton's future replacement at NT--if we stay 3-4. The other could be a DE groomed to be able to play on either side.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

why dont you think mcfadden will be re-signed? i would think they would have a lot of room under the cap next year
    CB tends to break the bank and the value that McFadden will demand goes up with every game he starts. His new agent is also known for getting top dollar. I think the chances of McFadden returning are less than 50/50 unless he just wants to be a Steeler. This is where not negotiating during the season is a dumb business move for the organization because we have total control over the negotiating rights unlike what will happen in February when the feeding frenzy starts.

I'm not sure we have all that much cap because we need to resign either Smith or Kemo and tag the other. We also have to get Hines to redo his contract and should probably start thinking about extending Santonio, Harrison, Colon and possibly Woodley.

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by frankthetank1

CB tends to break the bank and the value that McFadden will demand goes up with every game he starts. His new agent is also known for getting top dollar. I think the chances of McFadden returning are less than 50/50 unless he just wants to be a Steeler. This is where not negotiating during the season is a dumb business move for the organization because we have total control over the negotiating rights unlike what will happen in February when the feeding frenzy starts.

I'm not sure we have all that much cap because we need to resign either Smith or Kemo and tag the other. We also have to get Hines to redo his contract and should probably start thinking about extending Santonio, Harrison, Colon and possibly Woodley.
    cb's do get huge pay day's but i think bmac has to have a pro bowl year to get in the range of the higher paid cb's in the nfl. what has he really done before this year? i mean he has shown flashes but thats it. i forgot about holmes, they should definetly be extending his contract soon. who is bmac's agent? its not rosenhaus is it? i will be very dissapointed if they do lose him, but you cant afford to lose woodley or harrison. i really think they should get rid of simmons. that would help some, but they also have to sign kemo. i agree its so stupid not negotiating during the season. that is my only real complaint i have about the dan rooney

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo

I think Moala has a better chance being available in the 2nd round than Mack, but we'll see.