Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 48 of 48

Thread: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

  1. #41
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,692

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickt011
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickt011
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    The Trib site has been down all day so I guess the negativity needed to find an outlet somewhere
    Are you so intimidated by someone not agreeing with you, that you can't handle someone thinking differently? There is no negativity, I just feel we lose 24-21.
    I quit addressing stuff like that alot of times Rick. You were right about a LOT of things you said and you were bashed for it...and its still going on now.

    I do hope you're wrong about this weekend though.

    I hope we can win this one and the Cincy game and be 5-1 going into the rough stretch b/c with THIS OL and this offense right now we wont fair too well in those games. D will have to win them without a doubt.
    In all fairness, Rick was "bashed" for suggesting the Steelers didn't try to do anything about the O line in the draft. We don't know that they didn't make an attempt to trade but couldn't find a trading partner that was willing to give equal value.

    He was "bashed" for stating that they should have reached (not his word since he didn't see it as a reach) for the Steelers not taking O linemen where they took Mendy and Sweed. Benny, you know it would have been foolish for them to reach for O linemen in those spots when there were very valuable skill players available.

    Lastly, the "bashing" continues because Rick brings the O line into nearly every post. Even in the game threads.

    We all know there are issues with the O line!

    Most people here are talking about what the Steelers can do about it now while Rick continues to harp about them being awful because nothing was done to address it during the draft.

    The analogy I used, I think, is quite appropriate. Benny, did you ever do something because you didn't really have a choice but to do it that way, it didn't work out as you had hoped and your wife nags you about it...and continues to nag you about it incessantly after the fact when there is no way to go back in time and do it differently?

    Now you get the idea.
    I wasn't bashed for that! You don't have a clue do you? I never said reach for anyone, not once did I name a player we should have gone for. I was bashed because I didn't agree with the mainstream that the RB and WR were good for the team when at the close of the season our HC said the OL must be addressed. He didn't address it and I called for his job. Some of you feel I'm a troll now, that's kewl, I can deal with that, but at least talk the truth for a change.

    The reason I bring up the OL, is because it is the root of the problems that face our team and take a contender and turn it into a pretender. Wake up for crying out loud. The OL is going to cost us more then what we've seen so far. Our team is shifting from solid starters to backups in starter jobs, and against bad teams we can get away with it, but a good team will eat these back ups alive.

    To many of you so called experts want to put words in my mouth, I said this, and I said that, truth of the matter is I said the OL stunk, you said it was super bowl caliber, I said it wasn't high school caliber, and now they have proved me right. You can't handle it. This retired 49 year old man knows his Steelers, and you can't handle my playing years and experience in my 40+ years of watching my team is valuable over your so called wit and expertise in playing Madden. I love my Steelers and I am no troll. I see this team as one of the most talented money player teams we've ever had, we lack the LOS.

    Until we fix the OL with solid starters at LT, LG, C, RG, RT, this team will suffer and will not reach it's goal of a super bowl win. We could have traded for a LT, move Marvell to RT, WC to LG, CK to RG, and then we can at least learn from there with the proper talent in the proper places. Our key to this type of O's success is a real, solid, take no crap, LT. Until we get one, we're pretenders.

    Now for you few who think they know me better then I do, my problems with Tomlin and the OL are real problems. I could care less about the petty crap y'all claim I said. I laugh at it. I said our OL would cost us the money players, the QBs, RBs, and TE/WR in the backfield will get hammered behind this OL and injured. The first quarter (1/4th) of the season proved me right again. You few can't handle that, so you try to belittle me or anyone who thinks like we do.

    Call me what ever you want, but I was right. Maybe the next time I say something you'll think twice before you attack and ask me why, instead of assume. I'm no troll, and I am not cool aid. I'm human and I make mistakes, not often, but I do. Now lets talk football and stop these petty BS posts of tits for tats.
    Everyone here acknowledges that the o-line needs help and a major overhaul is in order. But drafting an o-lineman at #23 and passing on Mendenhall would have been a Troy Edwards like blunder when Javon Kearse and John Tait were still available. You state that "We could have traded for a LT" but can you name even one legit NFL left tackle that has been on the trading block in the past several seasons? Teams don't just trade away their left tackle if they have a good one.

  2. #42
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,158

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon
    Unfortunately, I have to be a kill joy here and take the Jags 21-20 on a late field goal. The Steelers o-line will be fine this week the Jags aren't that good at rushing the passer and their o-line is banged up as well. But, I think the lack of bodies at RB and defensive line will be to much to overcome.

    Jags - 21
    Steelers - 20

    Pappy
    21-20 Jacksonville win on a last second field goal? I'll have to go grab Josh Scobee for my fantasy team, because that means he will kick 7 field goals against us!
    Hey, if that works for ya, go for it! Too thin on the d-line to dominate this game. I think the defense will give somehting up this Sunday. I hope I'm as wrong as wrong can be, but, even the slightest ding to another defensive lineman will be a terrible cost to the Steelers. Woodley may have to lineup with his hand in the dirt and let Timmons hold down the edge.

    Pappy
    I was commenting on the fact that you suggested that the Jags would score 21 points (which is typically 3 TD's), but would win on a last second field goal. In order to get 21 points with a last second field goal, their kicker would have to kick 7 field goals. Or you could have even weirder scenarios like 2 TD's, 2 safeties, and a last second field goal, or 2 TD's, 2 2-pt conversions, a safety, and a a last second field goal, etc.
    I never even gave the score any thought; I just think it will be close and the Steelers drop it. Good catch, you're too d@mn observant.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  3. #43
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Rick - I'm 41 years old. I've been a Steelers fan for 36 of those years. I despise Madden video games. I never said this O line was SB caliber.
    Much was said all off season, remembering who said what is not easy. I wasn't singling you out, the general push against me was the OL was better then what I said, and so far they've proved me right.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Your post clearly shows that you are the one who isn't aware of what's been posted and who thinks what. I can go back to the Steelers Blog and show posts where you stated they should have drafted O linemen instead of Mendy and Sweed. To do so where they were sitting and with what was available would have been foolish.
    Find them, I never once stated a OL we should trade for or named a player in the draft. What I said and I stand behind it 100% was, we needed to do whatever it takes to get the talent we need on the OL. We took RM n LS, and I was shocked they didn't move up or down, up to get the DE & LT or down to get whatever player they had their eyes on. It was clear no starter was available at our position in the draft.
    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Before the draft I stated that I wanted them to go OL first and foremost but it didn't work out that way. I'm not thrilled that they couldn't do something in the draft but I can accept the fact that given the circumstances it did not make sense to take O linemen where they took Mendy and Sweed.
    There was players taken after us that are starting now. It all depends on who they were targetting. We got the BPA and frankly neither is great! I'll give LS a year to get better, like SH needed. RM, may never play football again, depends on his shoulder. Stlrs D, we don't have any problems, I had been dealing with the bozo's on the trib too long and get caught up writing to them. You know as well as I do, our experience watching this team over the years is 2nd to no one! We saw what we saw, we know what we know, and we gained valuable knowledge from those years. You know as I do when they made great moves and got the right players, and then when they didn't. Our team is in one of those "didn't" times. KC and MT are lost when it comes to talent. The quick moves, not looking over all the talent. Mistakes that a more experienced Gm or HC would not make.

  4. #44
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Rick--I'd like to see both sides of the LOS upgraded too, but do you really think that having a rookie or two on the OL would make this OL better?
    Seriously the time for the LT was 2005, or 06. But never happen. What it comes down to is some players come out and can start right away, some can't. Usually a 1st rounder should be ready to come in and play once the plays are down. But there wasn't anyone available when it came our turn to pick. We got who we got, can't change that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Remember Duane Brown in Game #1? Both sides of the LOS need reinforcement and I have advoacted that for over a year, but the reality is that there was no OL that would help us this year when we picked. DL I agree we should have addressed in Round 2 or 3. But it is unlikely that any rookie OL would be keeping Ben upright now any better than who is playing. You need to quit acting like people have vendettas against you because of what you post.
    I've been on these boards too long, lately I've been under attack for my position of 8-8 and the OL. But now that the games are playing and the OL problems are happening like I said they would, it's getting better. In July it was hard to say this or that because it hadn't happen yet. But now with 4 games done, the OL is a shambles and now everyone is seeing I wasn't being a tool/troll/PITA, I was simply letting you all in on what I saw happening, and it is coming true, all of it. Yes I feel good that I was right, but it's a good bad, because our Steelers are not the contenders we want them to be. That sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    We don't even know you so who could possibly care about you enough to have a personal agenda. We all post ideas. Some are agreed with and some aren't. I could really care less if people tell me I'm right or wrong. My ego doesn't need that. It's a good outlook for playing in the blogosphere.
    Oviedo you've been on the Trib for some time, we're not talking for the first time. I personally don't give a rats butt what people think. I gotta be me. This is fun to me, when it stops being fun, I won't do it.

  5. #45
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    9,215

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Rick - I appreciate and respect your passion for this team and your right to express an opinion but I think I am done discussing this topic with you. We don't know if the Steelers tried to make moves, although we do know they didn't have many picks to barter with.

    As for stating there are players taken after Mendy and Sweed who are starting, you can go to any draft and find situations like that after the fact. Does the name Tom Brady ring a bell? Every team passed on him for several rounds. Heck, look at some of the all time Steelers greats...some of those guys were taken when the draft rounds used to go into the teens!

    The point is, we all know there are o line issues but we don't know for sure, behind the scenes, what the Steelers did or did not attempt to address the situation.

  6. #46
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Rick - I appreciate and respect your passion for this team and your right to express an opinion but I think I am done discussing this topic with you. We don't know if the Steelers tried to make moves, although we do know they didn't have many picks to barter with.As for stating there are players taken after Mendy and Sweed who are starting, you can go to any draft and find situations like that after the fact. Does the name Tom Brady ring a bell? Every team passed on him for several rounds. Heck, look at some of the all time Steelers greats...some of those guys were taken when the draft rounds used to go into the teens!The point is, we all know there are o line issues but we don't know for sure, behind the scenes, what the Steelers did or did not attempt to address the situation.
    Well I know when they wanted a RB, they got one. They wanted a center, they went out and got one. The idea is they tried to get away on the cheap and it is coming back to slap them in the face hard. The mistakes like Max's situation are pretty bad, no organization wants to be known as fools, and the Max deal has egg all over the FO's face. The bottom line is, if they wanted the players, they would have gotten them. Their failure is in recognizing the obvious, even after the HC said the OL needed improvements, improvements that never materialized. Now we see what this team is like and it's funny, the experts then said it's the scheme, no it's the QB, no the RB's, everything except the obvious again! We have a QB of a lifetime in Ben and protect him with keystone cops. Yeah there is no point in talking about it any further until another player goes down to injury. Seriously Stlrz d, what happens if Ben goes down season ending injury? Or heaven forbid career ending injury because of this line. Then what?

    Funny thing is, everyone says Jacksonville is hurting on the OL as well, but they pick them to win Sunday.

  7. #47
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South West Indiana
    Posts
    2,091

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Rickt011
    Funny thing is, everyone says Jacksonville is hurting on the OL as well, but they pick them to win Sunday.
    There are other teams down to their back ups but why is our o-line considered the worst. Jacksonville gave up 7 sacks in week #1. Why don't we hear about this on SportsCenter?

  8. #48

    Re: Steelers @ Jaguars Prediction Thread

    Depends on if Ben is healthy. If Ben is throwing...I believe we win

    24-17.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •