Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

  1. #1
    Legend fordfixer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    State of confusion
    Posts
    7,566

    Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

    Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, October 2, 2008
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 91129.html

    Darnell Stapleton, who is battling Trai Essex for the starting job at right guard, worked with the first-team offensive line Wednesday. Stapleton took over for Kendall Simmons at right guard Monday night after the latter left the game in the first half with a season-ending foot injury. "He did a good job," Essex said. "I'm confident if Darnell does get the nod he'll be able to go." Not that Essex, who is listed as a tackle but has also practiced at guard, is conceding anything. "You get in there and start and play well and you might be in there for the rest of the season," Essex said. When asked what it will take to win the starting job, Stapleton said, "I guess whoever has the better practices this week, even though we have a short week."

    Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not rule out the possibility of moving Willie Colon from right tackle to right guard. Apparently, he has never broached the subject with Colon, who is the Steelers' starting right tackle. "That's the first time I've heard that," Colon said yesterday.

    Would he be willing to make such a move? "Yeah," Colon said, "anything to help the team out."

    Two days after the Steelers' 23-20 overtime win over the Ravens, Tomlin put the players through a light practice. The players did not wear full pads yesterday, and the Steelers' first practice of the week was about 15 minutes shorter than usual. Ten players were held out of the practice that the Steelers held indoors because of the weather.

    Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger (shoulder), outside linebacker James Harrison (quadricep) and safety Troy Polamalu were among the Steelers who did not practice yesterday. Fullback Carey Davis (ankle), defensive end Nick Eason (groin) and linebackers Andre Frazier (concussion), Keyaron Fox (back) and Patrick Bailey (hamstring) also didn't practice because of injuries. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes was limited in practice because of a sore neck. Wide receiver Hines Ward and left tackle Marvel Smith were given practice off by Tomlin.

    The Steelers have traditionally drawn well on the road, and that has particularly been the case in Jacksonville. The Jaguars struggle to fill their own stadium, which means there should be no shortage of fans wearing black and gold Sunday night when the Steelers visit Jacksonville for an 8:15 p.m. game. "Sometimes it's hard to tell if we're at a home game or an away game when (the Steelers) come to town, lot of towels waving in the air," Jaguars quarterback David Garrard said. "I really expect our fans to come out in droves for this game and support us."

    Jeff Reed has been named AFC Special Teams Player of the Week. Reed kicked three field goals Monday night against the Ravens, including the game-winner in overtime. Reed made field goals of 49, 19 and 46 yards in the Steelers' 23-20 win over the Ravens. He hasn't missed a field goal in seven attempts this season and made a career-long 53-yarder against the Eagles on Sept. 21.

    The Steelers signed defensive tackle Jordan Reffett and guard Doug Legursky to their practice squad yesterday. The Steelers made room on the practice squad by signing running back Gary Russell to their 53-man roster and releasing safety Grant Mason.

    Digits

    5.5 -- Sacks by outside linebacker James Harrison, which ranks first in the AFC and second in the NFL.

    150 -- Consecutive games in which Hines Ward has caught at least one pass.

    Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

    Molon labe

    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell



    American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,755

    Re: Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

    so how did james harrison not get defensive player of the week? 11 tackles 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble wasnt good enough?

  3. #3

    Re: Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

    Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not rule out the possibility of moving Willie Colon from right tackle to right guard. Apparently, he has never broached the subject with Colon, who is the Steelers' starting right tackle. "That's the first time I've heard that," Colon said yesterday.

    Would he be willing to make such a move? "Yeah," Colon said, "anything to help the team out."
    This is a move that a lot of people have been calling for and/or suggesting for a long time. I'm guessing that if Stapelton/Essex can't get the job done that the coaches may consider sliding Colon inside and playing Starks.

  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,280

    Re: Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

    Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not rule out the possibility of moving Willie Colon from right tackle to right guard. Apparently, he has never broached the subject with Colon, who is the Steelers' starting right tackle. "That's the first time I've heard that," Colon said yesterday.

    Would he be willing to make such a move? "Yeah," Colon said, "anything to help the team out."
    This is a move that a lot of people have been calling for and/or suggesting for a long time. I'm guessing that if Stapelton/Essex can't get the job done that the coaches may consider sliding Colon inside and playing Starks.
    I have to think after the Bye Week we get a serious look at Colon at Guard and Starks at RT. IMO that is the only thing that makes sense
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  5. #5
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,247

    Re: Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

    Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not rule out the possibility of moving Willie Colon from right tackle to right guard. Apparently, he has never broached the subject with Colon, who is the Steelers' starting right tackle. "That's the first time I've heard that," Colon said yesterday.

    Would he be willing to make such a move? "Yeah," Colon said, "anything to help the team out."
    This is a move that a lot of people have been calling for and/or suggesting for a long time. I'm guessing that if Stapelton/Essex can't get the job done that the coaches may consider sliding Colon inside and playing Starks.
    I have to think after the Bye Week we get a serious look at Colon at Guard and Starks at RT. IMO that is the only thing that makes sense
    I've been saying that for a while now, and the bye week is the time to do it. Either Stapleton or Essex should fill in at RG for the Jax game because of the short week following MNF, but during the bye week we should make that change.

    I want Stapleton and Essex to remain backups because they both have position flexibility that is useful if someone else gets injured in a game. Stapleton plays both center and guard, while Essex plays both tackle and guard; Both should be active every game from here on out.

    I don't think Stapleton should start at guard (beyond this week) because then we have no backup center. If Hartwig goes down, you would have to move Stapleton to C then Essex to RG. You don't want to have to make two changes to fill one spot if it can be avoided.

    At 6-3, 315, I think Colon could make a better guard than a tackle. And while Starks is by no means an optimal choice, you do want to have your best 5 guys out there, and right now, Starks is one of the best 5 o-lineman. He can start earning his $7 million after the bye.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Woooooo!!!
    Posts
    2,985

    Re: Notebook: Steelers' Stapleton works with offensive line

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer

    Steelers coach Mike Tomlin did not rule out the possibility of moving Willie Colon from right tackle to right guard. Apparently, he has never broached the subject with Colon, who is the Steelers' starting right tackle. "That's the first time I've heard that," Colon said yesterday.

    Would he be willing to make such a move? "Yeah," Colon said, "anything to help the team out."
    This is a move that a lot of people have been calling for and/or suggesting for a long time. I'm guessing that if Stapelton/Essex can't get the job done that the coaches may consider sliding Colon inside and playing Starks.
    I have to think after the Bye Week we get a serious look at Colon at Guard and Starks at RT. IMO that is the only thing that makes sense
    I've been saying that for a while now, and the bye week is the time to do it. Either Stapleton or Essex should fill in at RG for the Jax game because of the short week following MNF, but during the bye week we should make that change.

    I want Stapleton and Essex to remain backups because they both have position flexibility that is useful if someone else gets injured in a game. Stapleton plays both center and guard, while Essex plays both tackle and guard; Both should be active every game from here on out.

    I don't think Stapleton should start at guard (beyond this week) because then we have no backup center. If Hartwig goes down, you would have to move Stapleton to C then Essex to RG. You don't want to have to make two changes to fill one spot if it can be avoided.

    At 6-3, 315, I think Colon could make a better guard than a tackle. And while Starks is by no means an optimal choice, you do want to have your best 5 guys out there, and right now, Starks is one of the best 5 o-lineman. He can start earning his $7 million after the bye.
    There is merit in what you say from the perspective of minimzing the downside. (e.g. making 2 switches in a game if someone gets hurt). But I am not sure that it is the best for maximizing the "upside" -- that is getting the 5 best out on the field. It "may" be, but I hope the coaches base it on that criteria versus minimizing the downside.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •