Thread: Your better half

Benchwarmer

Your better half

So for those of you Steeler fans who don't have Steeler fan wives/girlfriends how do you handle them? I moved to Peru to be with my girlfriend so she could finish her schooling and get licensed in Psychology. I am a telecommute programmer who only needs an internet connection so it was easy for me to move down here. So my girlfriend knew nothing about American football and teaching it to her in Spanish has been pretty enjoyable and interesting.

The great thing about her is she just goes to my room and watches whatever terrible local program she loves while I scream and holler in the living room. One advantage of a foreign girlfriend is I can drop F bombs and all sorts of naughty words all game long and while she certainly knows what they all mean it doesn't affect her as it would if English was her first language. Sometimes I drop some Spanish curses like, puta madre or a la mierda, but for the most part I curse in English.

Last night at the half I was boiling and she was there to make me feel better. Later in the game when my spirits improved I couldn't believe what I was hearing from my bedroom. She had turned the Steeler game on and was watching the overtime! I was shocked, we watched the overtime together and she actually understood what was going on.

She is a long way from understanding football and becoming a fan but it would be pretty amazing to convert a Peruvian to an NFL fan!

Side note: I watched the ESPN International broadcast lastnight covered by a Mexican announcing crew. I have DirecTV so I can toggle the broadcast audio, I actually listened to the Spanish speaking announcers most of the game. I just couldn't handle Jaworski and Kornhole. The Mexican announcers actually did a pretty nice job since they actually talked about the game going on and not Tony's latest romantic interest, Flacco (which means thin in Spanish if you remove a 'c').

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Re: Your better half

Peru is part of PlanetSteelers!

Benchwarmer

Re: Your better half

Haha yea man, me and 1 other expat I know. I've seen random Peruvians sporting Steeler paraphernalia but they have no idea what the hell they are wearing. I went up to one guy one time and said Arriba Los Steelers! and he looked at me like I was insane. Peru is Steeler Nation!