Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Excellent Article on Correctness of NOT Drafting OL

Legend

Re: Excellent Article on Correctness of NOT Drafting OL

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Not only will we need to draft people on the Oline we need to draft them to fit our scheme. If the scheme isn't good, meaning it doesn't improve as the year goes on, then we need to replace the Oline coach. Other teams have crappy line but I think they're coached right and they play better. Time will tell...starting tonight and every game after.
    Yeah and that is why the OL coach and OC need to be the first to go.

I was FINE with how our 1st and 2nd round picks went, but as usually I think we failed miserably from there on. I know there are those who are claiming Bruce Davis is the next great thing, but I agree with the sentiment that its really weird that he cannot even earn a spot on the field on special teams...Timmons played special teams...so did many other key starters for the Steelers now.

I certainly would rather have Anthony Collins right now than Bruce Davis and Tony Hills and the way our DL is taking a hit I certainly would have liked Collins in the 3rd and taking big Red Bryant later.

It is one thing to say that a rookie would not help right now, and I agree with that, but it is another thing to completely neglect the OL and rarely add top talent to it via the draft or by FA. That is what we're facing. Yes, a rookie might not help this year, or maybe he would, but he certainly would be a good start towards building a capable OL, which we have not had in the last several years here in Pittsburgh.
    If I was king, I definitely would have taken DL in Round 3. I think with the number of picks we may end up with next year we should look OL and DL with 4 of the first 6 picks.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dcsteelerfan
    To me the fact that Collier mentions Duane Brown blows my mind...I am a VT grad and watched him for 3 years, and IMO he was an above average college OT. I think he will be solid at best after a few years, but as Steelcityinsider states he would not be starting anyway unless he was the next Jonathon Ogden or Anthony Munoz. Most analysts said the Texans were reaching just to draft an OT who most experts had him labelled as a 2nd-3rd rounder at best.
    Collier must of missed the first game of the season where Brown was sitting on the bench looking like he was going to cry because of the abuse that harrison was laying on him.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112
    Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1
    Not only will we need to draft people on the Oline we need to draft them to fit our scheme. If the scheme isn't good, meaning it doesn't improve as the year goes on, then we need to replace the Oline coach. Other teams have crappy line but I think they're coached right and they play better. Time will tell...starting tonight and every game after.
    Yeah and that is why the OL coach and OC need to be the first to go.

I was FINE with how our 1st and 2nd round picks went, but as usually I think we failed miserably from there on. I know there are those who are claiming Bruce Davis is the next great thing, but I agree with the sentiment that its really weird that he cannot even earn a spot on the field on special teams...Timmons played special teams...so did many other key starters for the Steelers now.

I certainly would rather have Anthony Collins right now than Bruce Davis and Tony Hills and the way our DL is taking a hit I certainly would have liked Collins in the 3rd and taking big Red Bryant later.

It is one thing to say that a rookie would not help right now, and I agree with that, but it is another thing to completely neglect the OL and rarely add top talent to it via the draft or by FA. That is what we're facing. Yes, a rookie might not help this year, or maybe he would, but he certainly would be a good start towards building a capable OL, which we have not had in the last several years here in Pittsburgh.
    If I was king, I definitely would have taken DL in Round 3. I think with the number of picks we may end up with next year we should look OL and DL with 4 of the first 6 picks.
    Yep completely agree.