Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally!... A Good Day!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Finally!... A Good Day!

This is the first day, since the Sept 14th windstorm that wreaked havoc in Northern Kentucky and the Cincinnati area, that I felt was a good day "progress-wise". And the first day that I wasn't ready to kill someone by the end of the day due to frustration...

- It only took 10 days, but my roof is finally tarped and secure if it rains.

- It only took 10 days to get the final repairs done to my satellite dish.

- It only took 10 days for my homeowner claim to finally get assigned to a claims adjuster... Now who knows how long it will take for him to get out and look at my roof, or even longer to actually get it fixed.

... But at least NOW there is at least a little bit of progress!...

Did anyone else from this board suffer any damages in other areas of the country from the "remnants of Ike"? If so, please share your stories...

BIG FAN

Re: Finally!... A Good Day!

Lost satellite capability when the storm hit. Didn't lose power until the remaining transformers blew in old Louisville the following Wednesday. Power back by late Friday night, but had to have satellite re-installed and rerouted through the basement yesterday. At work we got power back on last Fri. as well. Pain in the a.., but we were a little more fortunate than a lot of others. Things getting back to normal, except when you look at all the empty shelves and counters in some of the local stores.
    I know a few who have lost all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Surprisingly, I lost only small tree limbs and about 30 seconds of power.

God asked me in the middle of the storm to chose between a Colts loss and my house. I chose my house. That explains Adam Vinateri's last second field goal to beat the Vikings.

If the Steelers lose the final playoff seed to the Colts by 1 game, I will never forgive myself.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea, our power was out as well... It went out about 1:30pm on that Sunday and didn't get it back till late Wednesday. There are actually still a few thousand around here that still don't have it back. They said that at one point 90% of the Cincy area was dark... I heard Louisville took it hard as well...

BF, I feel your pain about the satellite dish. ... After the storm, mine was found in the neighbors' yard two houses down the street.

BIG FAN

Our local news stated that at the pinnacle of the power outage there were 277,000 in the dark. That storm was snapping huge trees over four feet in diameter at the base.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Did anyone else from this board suffer any damages in other areas of the country from the "remnants of Ike"? If so, please share your stories...
    Do financial damages count? Our house or property didn't sustain any damage other
    than a few downed limbs, but my checkbook took a hit.

We lost power seconds before kick off and it didn't come back on until the following
    Thursday. Once I learned that it would be out for a few days, we had to go out and
    buy a generator. One of the last left in the area, and $800 later, we had minimal
    power.

But since I live in no-mans land, use well water, and had no way of hooking the
    generator up to the pump, we had to fill our tanks with water in order to flush. Then
    I had to hook the generator up to the septic in order to pump to the leach field
    to prevent back up... just a little minor inconvenience.

We wanted to eventually purchase a generator in the future, but an unexpected $800
    hit plus $40 a day for gas to run it was a killer.

A lesson was learned though. After my electrician buddy gets married and settles in
    after a few weeks, he's going to install an extra breaker box in order for us to hook
    the generator into and provide power to what we need power for. It will be much
    easier than using multiple extension cords and we'll be able to hook up our well and
    septic.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Glad things are getting back to normal!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Glad things are getting back to normal!
    Slowly but surely... VERY slowly.... I still haven't heard from the adjuster. Hell, I'm taking my cell phone into the bathroom when I shower (that's the contact # for him to use...), and even clip it onto my shorts when roaming around the house. ... Very, very, very aggravating, especially when I see these State Farm commercials about having the most field adjusters in the business... Rough estimates from the roofer are that it will probably be mid-November until my roof can be replaced. Based on how many may get in line before me (gotta hear from the adjuster before the work contract can be signed).

jiga, I went out to get a generator on that Monday and everyone was sold-out. I've been saying for years that I need one because my power goes out frequently (but not for several days, though). I probably should invest in one, but Brenda and I are planning on building a new house after getting married, and are planning on having a big one permanently installed for power outages...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

God asked me in the middle of the storm to chose between a Colts loss and my house. I chose my house. That explains Adam Vinateri's last second field goal to beat the Vikings.

If the Steelers lose the final playoff seed to the Colts by 1 game, I will never forgive myself.
    If the Steelers lose the final playoff seed to the Colts by 1 game, I will personally come to Southwest Indiana and bust up your house myself as retribution for making the wrong choice. You can always buy a new house, the playoffs are priceless.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozey74

If the Steelers lose the final playoff seed to the Colts by 1 game, I will personally come to Southwest Indiana and bust up your house myself as retribution for making the wrong choice. You can always buy a new house, the playoffs are priceless.

I will throw the first stone through my window & I will place and order for some Iron City if you make the trip!!