Tomlin's Take: news conference
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
[url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_589757.html"]http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89757.html[/url]

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin on ...

Whether the coaches put the players in position to win against the Eagles:

"As coaches, we could have done a better job of adjusting and putting these guys in better position to be successful. We could have done a better job of identifying (what the Eagles were going) on all levels -- wide receivers, running backs, tight ends, offensive linemen, quarterback. And we could have done a better job physically of blocking them. It's obvious the adjustments we made were not sufficient because they continued to sack us and we did not win the football game."

What opposing teams will glean from the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles:

"We put that tape out there Sunday night and there are repercussions to it. We've got to accept responsibility for what we did collectively, and I believe that we do that. And that's as critical a part of moving forward as anything else."

Ravens rookie quarterback Joe Flacco, who started his college career at Pitt:

"I thought he was worthy of where they took him (18th overall in 2008 draft). He appeared to be one of the best in the draft and he's confirmed that to this point because he's the quarterback of a 2-0 football team. He's big, he's got a strong arm, he can put the ball in tight places. He plays basically mistake-free football. He did at Delaware."

What the Steelers could take out of the loss to the Eagles after watching film of the game:

"There were some positive things. Our defensive performance was excellent. I thought our kickers performed extremely well, Mitch Berger and Jeff Reed. But collectively as a football team, (we were) not good enough to win and we've got some work to do."

Scott Brown can be reached at [email="sbrown@tribweb.com"]sbrown@tribweb.com[/email] or 412-481-5432.