Tomlin's Take: news conference

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89757.html

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin on ...

Whether the coaches put the players in position to win against the Eagles:

"As coaches, we could have done a better job of adjusting and putting these guys in better position to be successful. We could have done a better job of identifying (what the Eagles were going) on all levels -- wide receivers, running backs, tight ends, offensive linemen, quarterback. And we could have done a better job physically of blocking them. It's obvious the adjustments we made were not sufficient because they continued to sack us and we did not win the football game."

What opposing teams will glean from the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles:

"We put that tape out there Sunday night and there are repercussions to it. We've got to accept responsibility for what we did collectively, and I believe that we do that. And that's as critical a part of moving forward as anything else."

Ravens rookie quarterback Joe Flacco, who started his college career at Pitt:

"I thought he was worthy of where they took him (18th overall in 2008 draft). He appeared to be one of the best in the draft and he's confirmed that to this point because he's the quarterback of a 2-0 football team. He's big, he's got a strong arm, he can put the ball in tight places. He plays basically mistake-free football. He did at Delaware."

What the Steelers could take out of the loss to the Eagles after watching film of the game:

"There were some positive things. Our defensive performance was excellent. I thought our kickers performed extremely well, Mitch Berger and Jeff Reed. But collectively as a football team, (we were) not good enough to win and we've got some work to do."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Re: Tomlin's Take: news conference

"There were some positive things. Our defensive performance was excellent. I thought our kickers performed extremely well, Mitch Berger and Jeff Reed. But collectively as a football team, (we were) not good enough to win and we've got some work to do."
    Sounds to me like he just said, "we were good everywhere except OFFENSE", without saying those specific words... but, he complimented defense and special teams...
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

2013 MNF Executive Champion!

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Sounds to me like he just said, "we were good everywhere except OFFENSE", without saying those specific words... but, he complimented defense and special teams...

and I wouldn't expect him to sugarcoat anything about the offense. It wasn't anything but bad on Sunday.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille
    Not the special teams as a whole just the kicker,s.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

Well if he thinks his OL is good, he needs to get glasses! I'm not impressed at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Rickt011
    Well if he thinks his OL is good, he needs to get glasses! I'm not impressed at all!
    Rickt011 - please post where he said, after Sunday's game, that his OL is good ... help me understand why you posted that.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, September 24, 2008
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 89757.html

Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin on ...

Whether the coaches put the players in position to win against the Eagles:

"As coaches, we could have done a better job of adjusting and putting these guys in better position to be successful. We could have done a better job of identifying (what the Eagles were going) on all levels -- wide receivers, running backs, tight ends, offensive linemen, quarterback. And we could have done a better job physically of blocking them. It's obvious the adjustments we made were not sufficient because they continued to sack us and we did not win the football game."

What opposing teams will glean from the Steelers' 15-6 loss to the Eagles:

"We put that tape out there Sunday night and there are repercussions to it. We've got to accept responsibility for what we did collectively, and I believe that we do that. And that's as critical a part of moving forward as anything else."

Ravens rookie quarterback Joe Flacco, who started his college career at Pitt:

"I thought he was worthy of where they took him (18th overall in 2008 draft). He appeared to be one of the best in the draft and he's confirmed that to this point because he's the quarterback of a 2-0 football team. He's big, he's got a strong arm, he can put the ball in tight places. He plays basically mistake-free football. He did at Delaware."

What the Steelers could take out of the loss to the Eagles after watching film of the game:

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
    I like that he acknowledged that he and his staff did a bad job on Sunday. This means that he, unlike Captain Z. who gives good grades to his O line after that fiasco, can move forward and make fixes.

I am a strong Tomlin supporter, but I will have to start wondering if:

1) We suck on offense Monday, AND
    2) He does not make major changes, hopefully in reassigning Z's responsibilities, before the next game.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!