Thread: The Real Missed Opportunity

The Real Missed Opportunity

While a lot of people are spending time discussing the last decision not to go for a field goal, I believe the more important choice was when Tomlin elected to punt instead of go for a 54-yd field goal. Reed had already easily hit a 53-yd. Instead we punted, they got the ball, were able to pin us deep with a punt, and we didn't have good field position the rest of the game.

LasVegasGuy

Re: The Real Missed Opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by steelernation77
    While a lot of people are spending time discussing the last decision not to go for a field goal, I believe the more important choice was when Tomlin elected to punt instead of go for a 54-yd field goal. Reed had already easily hit a 53-yd. Instead we punted, they got the ball, were able to pin us deep with a punt, and we didn't have good field position the rest of the game.

This is because Tomlin is not a good coach. I have been saying this since day 1. The only thing saving him right now is Lebeau and Roethlisberger otherwise this team would be a complete mess.

My original prediction was that he'd be here for 4 years. I questioned some of his decisions last year, but chalked it up to being a rookie.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

First off, hello all -- long time lurker/seldom poster over at the Trib live board (UofLSteel), and I've been lurking here for a while. Just can't stand the craziness over there.

Getting back to the actual topic at hand, I have to disagree. There is nothing easy about a 50+ yard field goal, and I wouldn't want to risk one without a few seconds on the clock. I'd rather punt and try and get them pinned deep, and get our defense back on the field.

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel
    First off, hello all -- long time lurker/seldom poster over at the Trib live board (UofLSteel), and I've been lurking here for a while. Just can't stand the craziness over there.

Getting back to the actual topic at hand, I have to disagree. There is nothing easy about a 50+ yard field goal, and I wouldn't want to risk one without a few seconds on the clock. I'd rather punt and try and get them pinned deep, and get our defense back on the field.
    Welcome, Lou!

We aren't this crazy all the time. We promise.

Legend

Got to disagree. No 50+ yard field goal is a given. We miss and they have their best field position all day. The punt they got after that where we were pinned was insane and their punter couldn't do that twice if his life depended on it.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo
    Got to disagree. No 50+ yard field goal is a given. We miss and they have their best field position all day. The punt they got after that where we were pinned was insane and their punter couldn't do that twice if his life depended on it.
    He only had to do it once. Just sayin...

Pappy

1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

Pro Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by LouSteel

Completely agree. Our defense was playing lights out football and pinning them deep gave us a chance to force a turnover and get the ball back. Reed kicked that 53 yarder but it was the longest of his career. I don't doubt his ability to kick the 54 but at that point in the game kicking it and missing would have been catastrophic. Punting the ball was the right call.

All your responses assume that if our defense stopped them, we could get the ball back and do something with it. Yes, our defense was playing well, but our offense could not move the ball, and their punter has a huge leg.

Take the points when you can get them, especially when your kicker just hit one from almost that distance easily.