Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it, like we have a choice?

I don't get it, like we have a choice?

Lots of talk about firing Ariens and Zierlein - what do we do then? Can you just go out and "get" coaches? Or are you guys saying their assignments should be picked up by coaches already on staff?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

Re: I don't get it, like we have a choice?

Are there any offensive coaches capable or ready to take over as OC?

Hall of Famer

SA, I have never been an Arians fan, and I've taken heat for it... Obviously we can not do anything about it during the season. It is an issue that needs to be addressed during the off-season by the powers-that-be... I was hoping it would have been done last year, but so be it.

...Yes, I think he cannot adjust when needed. Yes, I think he cannot take us where we want to be... But he is the OC this season, and nothing will change that. You cannot "fire" him during the season... So we must work with what we have, and try to turn it to an advantage in some way... So... What do you do? That's the golden question... I would not hazard to guess at this point, because it will just get tougher with our schedule... We have the playmakers on this squad to get it done, we just need to find out how...

What options are there for improvement, w/o jumping into the fire?
    Seems like we are stuck with Arians for the year.
    But I think he has no upside beyond his current level of functioning.

Semi-facetiously brainstorming here ...
    I don't think Tomlin has the offensive side experience to take on OC and playcalling.
    Maybe Charlie Batch should work with Ben to call the plays.
    Maybe they should get the plays off of us on the message board live during the game.
    Maybe they should rescue Charlie Weis from Note Dame, but then he is covered with ***** taint.
    PLEASE DO NOT FEED THE TROLL

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy

I don't think Tomlin has the offensive side experience to take on OC and playcalling.
    Maybe they should get the plays off of us on the message board live during the game.
    Maybe they should rescue Charlie Weis from Note Dame, but then he is covered with ***** taint.

I like the message board idea. Just put a live feed of our posts onto a sideline laptop, just call em in.

But none of us can block from our couches...so that poses a problem I guess.
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy

Yeah, we would have scored no fewer touchdowns today by our board's playcalling thatn we scored by Arians' playcalling.

Seriously, I want the dude to have the character like Ed Hochuli ans stand up for his performance.

BigBen2112

Have Mike Tomlin take over playcalling for the season and fire Arians and Zierlein in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    SA, I have never been an Arians fan, and I've taken heat for it... Obviously we can not do anything about it during the season. It is an issue that needs to be addressed during the off-season by the powers-that-be... I was hoping it would have been done last year, but so be it.

...Yes, I think he cannot adjust when needed. Yes, I think he cannot take us where we want to be... But he is the OC this season, and nothing will change that. You cannot "fire" him during the season... So we must work with what we have, and try to turn it to an advantage in some way... So... What do you do? That's the golden question... I would not hazard to guess at this point, because it will just get tougher with our schedule... We have the playmakers on this squad to get it done, we just need to find out how...

So many things went so wrong at one time with our Offense, I actually have no idea what the top one or two things were.
    - Were we just manhandled/beaten 1 on 1 in the trenches?
    - Were the players confused by inspired defensive play calling?
    - Could different plays have made a difference - screens, quick slants, etc.?

My feeling is that it didn't matter what plays would have been called - with Ben being sacked almost before the snap was comfortably in his hand, what can he do? This is by no means a defense of Ariens, but those guys were in our faces so much ...

I hope that after film study, the coaches can identify some things that are fixable. And if there is an assistant who can step up and take at least Zierlein's place, may as well try that. Who is that guy Harold Goodwin on the coaching staff - "Quality Control - Offense"?

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler

So many things went so wrong at one time with our Offense, I actually have no idea what the top one or two things were.
    - Were we just manhandled/beaten 1 on 1 in the trenches?
    - Were the players confused by inspired defensive play calling?
    - Could different plays have made a difference - screens, quick slants, etc.?

My feeling is that it didn't matter what plays would have been called - with Ben being sacked almost before the snap was comfortably in his hand, what can he do? This is by no means a defense of Ariens, but those guys were in our faces so much ...

I hope that after film study, the coaches can identify some things that are fixable. And if there is an assistant who can step up and take at least Zierlein's place, may as well try that. Who is that guy Harold Goodwin on the coaching staff - "Quality Control - Offense"?
    I look back at how Tom Brady and the Cheatriots*** dismantled our zone blitz schemes a few years back by running a spread with very quick passes to the outside, or quick slants, or TE short passes just behind the box. The Cheats*** strategy dictated the game.

The Eagles consistly had 8 in the box and blitzed 6 or 7. Our O-liine did not know who was coming, or where the zone blitz would overload and they were confused ... and they had to give Ben 4 or 5 seconds for Arians' pass offense to have a chance to work. Brady's throws were out in 1 to 2 seconds, and it broke our zone blitz 8-in-the-box scheme very effedtively.

The routes om Arians' scheme take several seconds to develop. The Eagles zone blitz scheme was very effective against this, obviously. We had no answer, and they dictated the game.