Thread: Steelers release Russell

Legend

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers release Russell

Steelers release Russell to move up rookie linebacker Bailey
    Move could be temporary depending on Donovan Woods' condition
    Saturday, September 20, 2008
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers released running back Gary Russell today in order to sign rookie linebacker Patrick Bailey from their practice squad.

Bailey likely is needed on special teams because fellow rookie linebacker Donovan Woods is injured. Woods played well on special teams through two games.

It's possible that Russell would be re-signed next week and Bailey put back on the practice squad if Woods is healthy.

First published on September 20, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    That's what I've been saying. It seemed like everyone was all over Russell's nuts in the preseason, but I never saw anything spectacular out of him.
    Did you see anything spectacular out of him last preseason when he led the league in rushing?[/quote]
    Key word: PRESEASON.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelTorch
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMedGuy
    That's what I've been saying. It seemed like everyone was all over Russell's nuts in the preseason, but I never saw anything spectacular out of him.
    Did you see anything spectacular out of him last preseason when he led the league in rushing?
    Key word: PRESEASON. [/quote]

It was also a different running back. The RB you seen this preseason did not look like the guy who was good enough to share time with Maroney and Barber at Minnesota...when he was a freshman. And he sure didn't look like the back that played last preseason. Despite competition...you can get a feel for the way a back runs. He just didn't appear to be running as hard...or fighting for a roster spot. Maybe some of the work ethic rumors were true. Or maybe it's just like others have said...our RB is a tough bunch. I'm still hoping we pick him back up.
    Trolls are people too.