Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ariens is our "12th man"

Ariens is our "12th man"

... and he can make us or break us on Sunday afternoon.

I'm not so concerned about what gameplan he draws up to start the game. Yeah, I might be in favor of starting the game by sending Hines and SAH out long and opening up a lot of 8 yard passes to Heath Miller or Spaeth, just to get FWP going. But really it doesn't matter, there are a lot of strategies to choose from.

What this guy absolutely has to do though for us to win is make adjustments to the game plan that looks so pretty on that laminated paper just before kickoff. He hasn't been challenged this year to make half-time adjustments - Andy Reid is no dummy, we may have to change game strategy on a quarter by quarter basis.

We've got enough weapons to win this game any number of ways. Unless we're really lucky though, we're not going to go out to a 21 point lead in the first quarter and then be able to play turtle for 45 minutes. It's probably more than likely that we're going to get knocked hard in the mouth early on. Whether Ariens can then get up off the canvas with a good "Plan B" is really the key to success on Sunday. If he can make the adjustments -we win. If not, then we really won't have shown yet that we belong to the upper tier of teams this year.

He seems to have been one of the many parts of our team that has improved significantly over last year - I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and if I have time I'll watch "The Deer Hunter" before the game).

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Pro Bowler

Re: Ariens is our "12th man"

I do not know why people get so caught up into this game plan stuff. I am sure the game plan will be sound. The execution of the game plan will be more important.

Legend

I'm coming around to his play calling, but I hope he can be flexible or adaptable in this game, or any game for that matter. Last week on the pre-game chatter they said he scripts the first 30 plays on offense. I've heard of coaches scripting 15, but not 30.

I only hope that if the plays he's scripted aren't working that he's not too stubborn to deviate from the script.

Im with you SASF. In the prediction thread, I suggested a completely different look from the first two games for our offense. They are more than capable of doing it too. Come out with the pass. I mean look at what Romo and the Cowgirls did. They just opened up in a big way. Gotta watch the blitz, but quick passes will work on them. We've seen it work. Their "vaunted" cover men didn't look so stellar last week. I am sticking with my less run more pass to start out. I agree with you that they have to work Miller and Spaeth into the gameplan...alot. If they are rushing so many guys, Spaeth will have a huge mismatch on some safety coming up to cover him. Eventually the vertical game will open up and I expect Santonio to break out this week. Ben has a big game. We win.

That sounds easy.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo156/shiek2134/SHIEK.jpg?t=1299014285

Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan
    ... He hasn't been challenged this year to make half-time adjustments
    ... Or late game, 4th quarter adjustments... I want to see how he handles the "better" teams on our schedule, and this will be a good test.

Can we see a no huddle?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    http://www.anewsong.com

My son's first Kansas Turkey!

Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    I'm coming around to his play calling, but I hope he can be flexible or adaptable in this game, or any game for that matter. Last week on the pre-game chatter they said he scripts the first 30 plays on offense. I've heard of coaches scripting 15, but not 30.

I only hope that if the plays he's scripted aren't working that he's not too stubborn to deviate from the script.
    I never understood the whole idea behind scripting plays, since so many of your decisions should be based on the situation you find yourself in. I know that the great Bill Walsh did this, but I still don't get it.

For instance, let's say that your first two plays are designed to be a sweep by FWP to the right side and then a pass, with Heath Miller as your primary target over the middle.

Scenario A: Kemo pulls from his left guard spot and opens a small hole for FWP, giving him a gain of 3 yards. Then Ben completes a pass to Heath over the middle for 6 yards. 3rd and 1.

Scenario B: The Eagles blitz their safety right in front of Colon, and he can't decide whether to block the safety or the DE in time, so FWP gets thrown for a 3 yard loss on his attempted sweep. Then Ben tries to scramble out of pressure up the middle on his scripted second down pass, but ends up getting sacked for a 7 yard loss. 3rd and 20.

Are you telling me that Arians will pick the 3rd play in the script he came up with no matter whether we are in 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 20? I just don't get how scripts are useful when you never know what situation you will find yourself 3 plays into the game, never mind 30 plays into the game.

Legend

RB - You didn't have to go into all that detail for me. I never understood it either.

Of course when they talk about scripted plays they never tell us if the coaches vary from the script based on circumstances or if they stick with it no matter what.

I would hope it's the former and not the latter.

Hall of Famer

Arians sucks.... Today, against a quality team, he proved it.... Get used to it, people...

BigBen2112

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler
    Arians sucks.... Today, against a quality team, he proved it.... Get used to it, people...

Sadly.