Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steelers Eagles - Wearing Your Jersey?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Re: Steelers Eagles - Wearing Your Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by stlrz d
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit

Nice display, d! And don't take this the wrong way, but the worst harassment I can imagine at Lambeau is getting hit with a big hunk of styrofoam cheese
    Thanks!

You'd be surprised at the size of some of the farm boys who get liquored up and go to the games. And those are the guys who always want to talk shit...and get right in your face even if you don't say anything.
    I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. There are azzholes everywhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Nice display, d! And don't take this the wrong way, but the worst harassment I can imagine at Lambeau is getting hit with a big hunk of styrofoam cheese
    Thanks!

You'd be surprised at the size of some of the farm boys who get liquored up and go to the games. And those are the guys who always want to talk shit...and get right in your face even if you don't say anything.
    I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. There are azzholes everywhere.
    That's what I'm sayin'!

Sure Lambeau probably isn't on par with Philly or Oakland, but I've seen it get pretty ugly there. Usually it doesn't escalate beyond yelling and screaming, but I've seen it go beyond that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks!

As long as they're aren't making poking I can't imagine it being that bad.
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by costanza2k1

Thanks!

As long as they're aren't making poking I can't imagine it being that bad.
    They save that for the cow barn!

Legend

User Info Menu

I meant to post my impressions of the game before, but work has been crazy the past few days.

1. There were a ton of Steelers fans there. The Eagles fans weren't nearly as bad as I expected. I put up with a few snide comments, and some were obnoxious, but for the most part, it wasn't nearly as bad I expected. Very glad I wore the jersey. Would have regretted not doing so.

2. The defense played great. No complaints there. I really thought that DeSean Jackson would prove to be a bigger problem. I thought Westbrook would play a bigger role, but he obviously wasn't a factor due to the injury. Thankfully, it's not a serious injury.

3. The offensive performance was even worse than it looked. Our seats were up high -- section 221, which is about the 10 yard line, top level, south endzone. We were up way, way behind the Steelers sideline. With the high perspective, it was easy to say that the Eagles really jammed the box. Almost every play, they had 8 guys in the box, with the corners playing tight on the WRs. The WRs could not beat the jam at the line, and we all know how well the o-line held up.

I thought the Steelers offense really failed to be creative. The WRs weren't getting separation. So why not run something out of the bunch formation. Quick WR screens, something like that. Heath was effective when utilized late in the passing game, but it was all but over then. I remember all the hype that Arians would utilize 3 TEs to create mismatches. That would have been great to see. I also think they abandoned the run too easily. This is just my impression, but FWP seems to be more effective with more carries.

4. Bringing Heath Miller into the backfield in the shotgun as a blocker was a disaster. From up above, I had no doubt that it would turn out as poorly as it did.

5. The Steelers WRs really need to step up their game. Part of this is the play calling as well, but the WRs need to release better and get separation. Especially with the Eagles only playing one deep safety most of the game, I thought the opportunity to make something happen deep was there. Assuming even minimal blocking and some separation. Holmes also had a couple of big, disappointing drops.

6. What happened to Mewelde Moore? He was a good punt returner in Minnesota, and he was also a threat out of the backfield catching the ball. Why hasn't he been utilized. I'd like to see him get a chance to run that third down screen that always went to Haynes and Davenport.

It was great to see the Steelers live -- it's been years. I want to say a game against Carolina in Three Rivers was the last regular season game that I saw (I catch the preseason games in Philly), so it was nice to finally see them live again. Even if it was one of the worst games I've ever seen them play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq
    ... 5. The Steelers WRs really need to step up their game. Part of this is the play calling as well, but the WRs need to release better and get separation. Especially with the Eagles only playing one deep safety most of the game, I thought the opportunity to make something happen deep was there. Assuming even minimal blocking and some separation. Holmes also had a couple of big, disappointing drops....
    Hey phillyesq - glad to see/hear you got back safe and sound, I was wondering about you.

Great insight, thanks for your observations. As you may have noticed, we on the board have gone hyperactive in terms of our analysis of what happened and why, it's great to hear the perspective of someone who was actually there.

Intriguing comments about the WRs ... really hadn't heard that angle much. Makes sense though, if they are stacking the box, there's got to be a mismatch somewhere. Yes, it sounds like the WRs do need to step up, get that separation.

I don't know if the "standard" TV shots will allow it, but I will try and focus on them on Monday night.

Thanks again!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!